Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

A couple of things that ensured I will never buy an Apple product again:

1) my wife had an iPhone and I tried to add a single MP3 from a CD I ripped. It was "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" because my only daughter at the time was obsessed with the song. After attempting to add a single MP3 to her phone for 4 hours I gave up as the only solution according to Apple was to "sync" the phone which would wipe out every single piece of data on her phone just so I could add a single MP3. On my Android phone I literally dragged and dropped it to a folder and it was there.

2) We were at my wife's friend's house and she knew I was a computer nerd so she asked me why she couldn't get her photos off of her iPhone onto her iMac. I hosed around on her computer for the better part of 2 hours. iTunes said it would not connect to the phone because it was an old version of iTunes. When I went to update iTunes, it said it could not be updated because the OS was out of date. When I tried to update the OS, it said it could not because the hardware was not compatible. Keep in mind that for years she had no problems using iTunes to get her photos. Apple just arbitrarily determined they no longer wanted her to be allowed to do that.

3) We have an old iPad 3rd gen (the one before the Air) and wanted to use it for my kids since we weren't using it any more and it turns out you cannot even browse websites on it any more. Safari says it's too out of date and there's no new updates for it. We even tried different browsers in the App store like Dolphin and Chrome and got the same bullshit. Meanwhile I dug out my Windows 98 laptop and I can browse the web just fine on it lmao.

4) My wife's mom had a MacBook, I don't remember how old it was but it was the last one to have a disc drive. Anyway the thing should be perfectly capable of browsing the web but nope, Safari is part of the loving operating system update (instead of being a program you can just download) and the thing was essentially a paperweight for her.

I really don't understand how people put up with this poo poo. Yeah Windows is kinda annoying with their terrible update system but goddamn Apple is actually hostile towards their customers. And imagine having to carry around a dongle for every single stupid scenario like USB-A, HDMI, SD cards, etc. It completely defeats the purpose of having a super thin portable laptop. It's the same line of thinking that they make their phones as thin as possible while having a quarter inch thick camera bump.

lol, "i'm a computr janitor whose brain is full i cant learn anymore.txt"

c'mon man, i'm 53 and all totally comfortable using everything from legacy Silicon Graphics supercomputers to iPads and everything in between. just for fun i rewrote the engineering firmware in the Commodore 64 disk drive to make it transfer data faster AND, decades later, i doodle on my iPad with Procreate and Nomad Sculpt.

tldr: you have no excuse for your ignorance if you aren't willing to learn.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Zeluth posted:

Now put it in the dumpster for me.

sure old SGI hardware is crap, but it's literally responsible for every graphics tech we have now.

e:lol, my iPhone 12 destroys any 80's or 90's multi million dollar supercomputer's computational power. it's pretty amazing.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I'm a steamfitter lol

I just hate apple because of stuff like glossy screens with no matte option and how tons of programs stop working with new macos release.

Also a phone with no back button is pretty lol

meh, i was a huge Android fan for years, but Apple, for it's walled garden, just loving works. plus, you can turn off the uber creepy Facebook tracking, which you can't do on ANY Android phone AFAIK.

e: oh hey, steamfitting is cool and probably a lot more rewarding than working twenty years in IT because you are actually building poo poo.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Klyith posted:

lmao is that what you say to friends and family who have computer problems also?

yes, this is exactly what i say when i don''t want to help someone. it works really well and they never ask me to help them again. lol, i was a sysadmin for twenty loving years. i'm retired from that poo poo.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

typing this on my Thinkpad T430, an actual MIL-SPEC laptop certified for use on Mount Everest, active combat situations and the International Space Station.

e: please show me any other non specialized laptop that can operate in a sandstorm, extreme temperatures or extreme humidity. go ahead, i'll wait.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 27, 2022

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Duck and Cover posted:

Good news seems like when the fan activates it makes a kind of clicky noise. Wonderful craftsmanship.

lol, my ancient but rock solid T430 that i am currently typing this response on cost me $299.99 as a corporate refurbished laptop.

it is very quiet.

e:lol you still can't join any Mac to an Active Directory domain in a corporate environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Three Olives posted:

Agreed. But the key is to have the right tool for the job, that is why I use a Mac Mini, MacBook Air and iPad Pro 12.9. Plus there is a Lenovo in here for random other stuff. And the wall screen has a Chromebox.

lol,fygm.jpg

e:lol, why do the people who have no idea how to use tech always seem to have the most expensive poo poo? give me your most expensive poo poo so that it actually gets used properly.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 9, 2022