Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
My laptop is ten years old and good, though i can't put in more ram than 8 gigs and it can only fit one disk and it only has usb 2 so external disks are a bit slow. I'll replace it soonish but lol @ having a computer you can't put in your backpack tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

If it's a ThinkPad there's a good chance it will take more ram. I have a t420 that supposedly caps out at 8gb but it took 16 just fine. Never listen to max spec sheets. My current ThinkPad (T25) says max ram is 32gb but it took 64 just fine.

Even if that would work, I haven't been able to find ram modules bigger than 4 gb and it only has two slots.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
My laptop got super hot once, so I opened it up and cleaned out the fan and now it doesn't get so hot no more.

Speaking of, new laptops don't look like they have fans. Or even screws to open them up. Are they all put together like piece of poo poo tablets these days that are a complete pain in the rear end to open and possibly glued shut?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

naem posted:

I’d really like a laptop or tablet that has as much pressure sensitivity as a wacom tablet and can run photoshop that would be fun

I'm using a samsung galaxy something tablet right now that has a wacom pen with 4096 levels of pressure sensitivity or some poo poo like that. It's the same technology as in wacom tablets so it doesn't need a battery or anything. Unfortunately all mobile drawing apps suck unbelievable amounts of rear end, it's ridiculous.