Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

OP, when I said Dell laptops suck, I wasn't trying to say your laptop doesn't suck. Of course all laptops suck. We're just trying to build awareness and start reforms to benefit a brand of laptops that has historically been overlooked despite sucking disproportionately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

My 2011 mbp that I gave away to family is still nicer to use than the 2018 core i9 mbp that I have now because the goddamn fan spins up anytime I do something more intense than loading a webpage (like loading two webpages). Yeah the 2011 is a bit slower, but I was also able to upgrade the RAM and install an SSD unlike the modern one, so there's not that much difference unless you want to run a game or build/render stuff. And due to the fans, those are unpleasant work activities without noise canceling headphones and an external keyboard and mouse to avoid burns. It's only 3 years old and I already want to sell it and get a fanless m1. Of course the moment I do that I know something at work will come up that requires an x86 VM.

The one nice thing I can say about the 2018 model is that I love the feel of the extremely unpopular and failure prone butterfly keyboard and will be sad to say goodbye to it.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the "apple tax" these days is on upgrading the ram or storage. the base price of most of their laptops and phones are pretty reasonable for the performance and quality, but it escalates very quickly. but yeah, if you cross shop well made PC laptops (surface laptop, thinkpad, maybe xps), the prices are pretty similar with the PCs only being cheaper sometimes on the high-end upgrade fees.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

A couple of things that ensured I will never buy an Apple product again:

1) my wife had an iPhone and I tried to add a single MP3 from a CD I ripped. It was "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" because my only daughter at the time was obsessed with the song. After attempting to add a single MP3 to her phone for 4 hours I gave up as the only solution according to Apple was to "sync" the phone which would wipe out every single piece of data on her phone just so I could add a single MP3. On my Android phone I literally dragged and dropped it to a folder and it was there.

2) We were at my wife's friend's house and she knew I was a computer nerd so she asked me why she couldn't get her photos off of her iPhone onto her iMac. I hosed around on her computer for the better part of 2 hours. iTunes said it would not connect to the phone because it was an old version of iTunes. When I went to update iTunes, it said it could not be updated because the OS was out of date. When I tried to update the OS, it said it could not because the hardware was not compatible. Keep in mind that for years she had no problems using iTunes to get her photos. Apple just arbitrarily determined they no longer wanted her to be allowed to do that.

3) We have an old iPad 3rd gen (the one before the Air) and wanted to use it for my kids since we weren't using it any more and it turns out you cannot even browse websites on it any more. Safari says it's too out of date and there's no new updates for it. We even tried different browsers in the App store like Dolphin and Chrome and got the same bullshit. Meanwhile I dug out my Windows 98 laptop and I can browse the web just fine on it lmao.

4) My wife's mom had a MacBook, I don't remember how old it was but it was the last one to have a disc drive. Anyway the thing should be perfectly capable of browsing the web but nope, Safari is part of the loving operating system update (instead of being a program you can just download) and the thing was essentially a paperweight for her.

I really don't understand how people put up with this poo poo. Yeah Windows is kinda annoying with their terrible update system but goddamn Apple is actually hostile towards their customers. And imagine having to carry around a dongle for every single stupid scenario like USB-A, HDMI, SD cards, etc. It completely defeats the purpose of having a super thin portable laptop. It's the same line of thinking that they make their phones as thin as possible while having a quarter inch thick camera bump.

Some of this is just unbelievable and I'm probably taking the bait by replying, but here we go.

1) Managing your phone through itunes sucks, I agree with that completely. But adding an mp3 isn't that hard and shouldn't take 4 hours to figure out. Syncing your phone won't wipe everything out (unless you're trying to do some complicated thing where you sync to multiple computers maybe). At least not in the time I've been using iphones, since whenever the 4 came out. How long ago was this? Anyway, the only thing I can think of here is that I remember a setting you flip to go from automatic management of your itunes media to manual, and if you switch over to manual it will wipe all your songs and movies and stuff and you have to select the ones you want to add and transfer them over. In other words, manually manage it. Yeah, it would be better if you could drag and drop from a folder instead of using checkboxes in a big itunes list, but it's not like itunes is impossible to figure out, and you can always google it. These days you can also use the Files app if you want to just move 1 file over quckly, but I'm guessing that wasn't around whenever you were doing this.

2) For photos, you can just plug the phone into a USB port and get to them like any camera. The phone will ask you if you want to trust the computer, you say yes, and then in windows you just find it in explorer and double click until you're in the DCIM folder. In MacOS it's basically the same, except you use the Image Capture app instead of going to a folder. Again, google could've answered this for you. You don't even have to open itunes and iphoto/photos to do this.

3) I can't comment about the browser being disabled on old ipads since I don't have one, although it sounds suspicious. What modern browser still runs on your windows 98 laptop though? As far as I can tell, Chrome has never supported windows 98, and the last version of firefox that did was firefox 2 circa 2006, lol. You're not gonna have a very good experience with those browsers on 2020s websites. That probably includes anything that uses https because I'm guessing the version of TLS would be too old to work.

4) My sister still uses my old 2011 macbook pro, which I believe was also the last model with the dvd drive. Safari still works, but you can also install chrome or firefox or whatever other browser on macos, it's not like ios which uses the safari rendering engine in 3rd party browsers. It's true that it can no longer update to the latest version of macos -- I think it's on 10.13 maybe? And I agree that's a problem because eventually browsers will stop being released for old OSes (like your win98 laptop). A quick google search shows that chrome requires at least macos 10.11, which means that any macbooks from 2006 or earlier are no longer supported by chrome because they don't have a compatible operating system.

I don't care that you hate apple or whatever, that's fine and there are plenty of valid reasons for it, but not being able to figure out how to do basic stuff that millions of people do without issue is a pretty terrible one, lol.