Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
ThinkPad T series and W series are still good. Plus they have user upgradable ram and user replaceable batteries.

Also they have God's mouse: the trackpoint nub

And unlike Crapple they still have USB ports, ethernet ports, and SD card slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Skeleton Ape posted:

My work laptop has 3 USB-C ports and nothing else. It's ok when you plug it into a $250 docking station that needs its own gigantic heat sink and fan

Lol

98% of USB stuff I get or come across are still the old style USB port. This forceful removal of normal USB ports brought on by Apple is loving hilarious.

Yes they were right about getting rid of floppy drives and disc drives but this isn't even remotely the same thing. I still have yet to come across a USB-C thumb drive, hard drive, or printer even once in my entire life.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
My ThinkPad owns so much. 3 USB ports, a USB C thunderbolt port, a full size ethernet port, touch screen yet matte display, an SD card slot, a full size hdmi port, TWO batteries (and even the internal one takes ten seconds to swap out), upgradable ram slots, upgradable wifi card slot, a WWAN slot for a SECOND internal hard drive, and even a DC charging port that is user replaceable for $14 if it breaks.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The only thing I really miss in laptops were the pcmcia or express card slots. I'm really pissed they did away with those because it made laptops future proof (maybe that's why they got rid of them? :conspiracy:

It was so cool how if a new standard came out, your old laptop could accept it. There's really no way to get FireWire working on a new laptop these days.

Edit: I also remember really liking Fujitsu laptops in the early to mid 00s. I never had one but I knew a few people who did and they were always really unique, rugged, and they always had top notch screens and keyboards. Not to mention they too had a trackpoint. Now I just looked them up and their laptops look like hot garbage.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 14, 2021

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

roomtone posted:

i don't understand trackpoints. a nipple in the middle of the keyboard which is a mouse except you have to treat it like an analogue stick with 500% resistance. i don't know what it's for.

You set the sensitivity to the highest and mouse speed to almost max and it's practically like you're moving your mouse by just concentrating on where you want it to go and it moves itself like an Ouija board.

You also don't need to move your finger back to the beginning just because you got to the end of the trackpad

And finally you can use the mouse without even having to move your hands off of home row

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mooey Cow posted:

My laptop is ten years old and good, though i can't put in more ram than 8 gigs and it can only fit one disk and it only has usb 2 so external disks are a bit slow. I'll replace it soonish but lol @ having a computer you can't put in your backpack tbh

If it's a ThinkPad there's a good chance it will take more ram. I have a t420 that supposedly caps out at 8gb but it took 16 just fine. Never listen to max spec sheets. My current ThinkPad (T25) says max ram is 32gb but it took 64 just fine.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mooey Cow posted:

My laptop got super hot once, so I opened it up and cleaned out the fan and now it doesn't get so hot no more.

Speaking of, new laptops don't look like they have fans. Or even screws to open them up. Are they all put together like piece of poo poo tablets these days that are a complete pain in the rear end to open and possibly glued shut?

You need a heat gun and a spudger to work on an Apple laptop lol

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Skeleton Ape posted:

My 2007 MacBook Pro still runs. It won't let me install anything, but it probably could!

Another reason Mac is Wack. I can take a Windows computer from 1997 and install whatever the gently caress I want on it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Purchase posted:

the "apple tax" these days is on upgrading the ram or storage. the base price of most of their laptops and phones are pretty reasonable for the performance and quality, but it escalates very quickly. but yeah, if you cross shop well made PC laptops (surface laptop, thinkpad, maybe xps), the prices are pretty similar with the PCs only being cheaper sometimes on the high-end upgrade fees.

Meanwhile my thinkpad T25 came with 16gb of RAM and I upgraded it to 64GB of RAM for a grand total of $190 lmao

I am pretty sure that upgrade would have been about $700 extra on a Mac (if they even offered it).

Skeleton Ape posted:

Yeah, at one point it decided the next OS update was incompatible because its model number was too old. I don't think there was any technical reason preventing it. Let me use my laughably old things Crapple :argh:

A couple of things that ensured I will never buy an Apple product again:

1) my wife had an iPhone and I tried to add a single MP3 from a CD I ripped. It was "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" because my only daughter at the time was obsessed with the song. After attempting to add a single MP3 to her phone for 4 hours I gave up as the only solution according to Apple was to "sync" the phone which would wipe out every single piece of data on her phone just so I could add a single MP3. On my Android phone I literally dragged and dropped it to a folder and it was there.

2) We were at my wife's friend's house and she knew I was a computer nerd so she asked me why she couldn't get her photos off of her iPhone onto her iMac. I hosed around on her computer for the better part of 2 hours. iTunes said it would not connect to the phone because it was an old version of iTunes. When I went to update iTunes, it said it could not be updated because the OS was out of date. When I tried to update the OS, it said it could not because the hardware was not compatible. Keep in mind that for years she had no problems using iTunes to get her photos. Apple just arbitrarily determined they no longer wanted her to be allowed to do that.

3) We have an old iPad 3rd gen (the one before the Air) and wanted to use it for my kids since we weren't using it any more and it turns out you cannot even browse websites on it any more. Safari says it's too out of date and there's no new updates for it. We even tried different browsers in the App store like Dolphin and Chrome and got the same bullshit. Meanwhile I dug out my Windows 98 laptop and I can browse the web just fine on it lmao.

4) My wife's mom had a MacBook, I don't remember how old it was but it was the last one to have a disc drive. Anyway the thing should be perfectly capable of browsing the web but nope, Safari is part of the loving operating system update (instead of being a program you can just download) and the thing was essentially a paperweight for her.

I really don't understand how people put up with this poo poo. Yeah Windows is kinda annoying with their terrible update system but goddamn Apple is actually hostile towards their customers. And imagine having to carry around a dongle for every single stupid scenario like USB-A, HDMI, SD cards, etc. It completely defeats the purpose of having a super thin portable laptop. It's the same line of thinking that they make their phones as thin as possible while having a quarter inch thick camera bump.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

tango alpha delta posted:

lol, "i'm a computr janitor whose brain is full i cant learn anymore.txt"

c'mon man, i'm 53 and all totally comfortable using everything from legacy Silicon Graphics supercomputers to iPads and everything in between. just for fun i rewrote the engineering firmware in the Commodore 64 disk drive to make it transfer data faster AND, decades later, i doodle on my iPad with Procreate and Nomad Sculpt.

tldr: you have no excuse for your ignorance if you aren't willing to learn.

I'm a steamfitter lol

I just hate apple because of stuff like glossy screens with no matte option and how tons of programs stop working with new macos release.

Also a phone with no back button is pretty lol

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

tango alpha delta posted:

meh, i was a huge Android fan for years, but Apple, for it's walled garden, just loving works. plus, you can turn off the uber creepy Facebook tracking, which you can't do on ANY Android phone AFAIK.

Oh yeah I'm almost ready to picket in the streets over the fact that with Google you cannot ever change your email address or else you lose every single one of your Google Play purchases. With Apple you literally just log into the store and change your email address.

I like Pixel phones and PCs but that doesn't mean I'd ever defend companies like Google and Microsoft. They still suck rear end lol

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
MacBooks get a literal spec of dust and it renders the entire irreplaceable keyboard useless lol

Meanwhile my kid spilled an entire bowl of cheerios on my ThinkPad keyboard and it works absolutely fine

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Enjoy staring at your reflection in their disgustingly reflective displays

Oh and carrying USB adapters everywhere

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Duck and Cover posted:

Eh? It's been awhile since I've bought an Apple product. Fine? Their display game is pretty good. At least as far as quality goes, I'm not sure what the gently caress they were thinking with that cheese grater monitor.

I think the pinkish color temperature is acceptable it's the kind of thing that's noticeable when compared to another display but probably fine if you don't. If I wasn't already looking for issues it probably would go unnoticed.

I would find this unacceptable on a $120 Nintendo DS Lite. That is unacceptable for a $2,000 laptop. Exchange it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Duck and Cover posted:

Good news seems like when the fan activates it makes a kind of clicky noise. Wonderful craftsmanship.

Crapple WackBook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Lmao

YOU CAN HAVE A BEZEL, IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL