Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

PITY BONER posted:

I haven't had a desktop since 2003, which was a sick Dell bought during the "Dude, you're getting a Dell" period. I move a lot and spent/spend a lot of time working abroad, so desktops were never an option anyway. I used a 10-inch EEEPC for almost 5 years. I miss that thing.

I got a random gamer notebook in China back in like January 2017, and it's still going hard. Overclocked GTX 1500, i7-7700, 16GB RAM, full-size keyboard, manual fan switch, 1TB HDD, 128GB SDD, and space for THREE more loving SDDs (which I quickly filled). It cost me $900 total.

Now I look at the specs of new gaming notebooks in the US and they are all horribly crippled, have poo poo keyboards, cost an arm and an rear end in a top hat to get one that has both an HDD and SDD, no space for extra SDDs, and cost like $500-700 more for something with less features than what I paid in 2017. I want something with a 3070, but so many companies are selling low-watt versions, and they come with only a single SDD slot or some other bullshit. Is it too much to ask to have ample storage AND a GPU that is powered to reach its actual potential? I think I'll be on my current notebook for another 3-4 years at this rate, maybe hoping to get something with a RTX 5060 that runs like a desktop 2080.

get an external drive instead of hoping for a laptop that you can load half a dozen cheap lovely SSDs into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

i don't think a computer that crashes randomly is a great value

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

i use windows and mac laptops all day and i can't imagine having such a strong opinion on what's good and bad. who loving cares