Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

If you are actually looking for a good laptop the SH/CH thread should be able to get you rolling. (If your use case is common you can probably even lurk the model number) https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552651

If we are just making fun of how a good 90% of laptops are worthless pieces of poo poo carry on.

Seriously I loving hate touching any laptop any family member says they are having problems with. Why did you pick this it's flimsy and looks like you could knock it over when you sigh at yet another out of memory error because they soldered in 2x2GB locking you into 4GB forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

purplestuffedworm posted:

Laptops have gone from moderately crap to honestly a scam in the last decade, like the last three my husband and I have bought ended up unusable within the years. After the last $1000 one died, I bought a $300 Lenovo that is perfectly adequate for anything that's not gaming or complex Blender rendering. I'll build a desktop for those purposes as sun as graphics card prices come back down to earth (lol).

Big fan of the Lenovo Thinkpad T series with metal frame. I've watched one be chucked like a frisby all while still streaming a youtube video hit a wall take out a chunk of brick and land open still playing the drat video like nothing happened. Laptop damages: scuff mark. I laugh at your Apple Care this thing doesn't need coverage. (I'm sure someone could find a way to destroy one)

At least as far as using a laptop, nothing gives the freedom of that full desktop experience or the mobility of the phone. What is the point of a laptop?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Replacing paste can be useful, if you use good stuff when you install it it should be good for a decade but who builds a laptop? Who tears down a laptop for maintenance? (They never close the same again) If your already in there for something else though sure.