Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

kaom posted:

Genuinely no idea why this is happening for you. :confused: I made sure my profile is public and checked that I could view others… and I also see that we’re buddies! Is it possible you were logged out when trying to check? It’s the only thing I can think of.

It looks like I was supposed to get a confirmation email that never arrived, and the site gives me an error when I try to get them to re-send it. EDIT: Nvm. Figures two seconds later that I try turning my adblock off and it worked. I can see everything now.

Since I'm going to have a hideous work schedule this November, I got an early start on my project. I work the types of factory shifts that give me three days in a row off, which allowed me to finish 4 chapters and 11,996 words. The first draft for these chapters were originally very heavy on the world building, so I decided to write a snappy prologue that introduced a major character earlier, as well as promise the tone earlier. I also tried to give the early scenes more momentum and establish goals and obstacles for my protagonist.

Coquito Ergo Sum fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Opinions time: does outlining count towards your word count?

Not looking for a definitive answer, just want to know your opinions. Personally I think it does.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I count outlining. I waffle back and forth on counting world building.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

HIJK posted:

Opinions time: does outlining count towards your word count?

Not looking for a definitive answer, just want to know your opinions. Personally I think it does.

As I understand the spirit of NaNo, any words written during November counts, including outlines!

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
I would personally only count the actual words written to be part of your nano project. But it's not like there's a very tiny nano police to crack down on people for including whatever they like in the word count

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
You wrote 'nano police' and now I'm imagining very tiny police officers with nanowrimo badges pushing half full coffee cups over bc of word counts

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
well last year was my first time and I fell flat on my face, but I want to try and get my first draft of this philosophical sci-fi book thing done. this should be fun. good luck everyone!

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I'm not counting outlining but that is because I did it in October. I think if I have to take a day in November to re-outline or write a lot of notes, I'd count those words because otherwise I'm just giving myself more work to do on subsequent days.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I did it. I did the job I was dreading and crunched four chapters down to two and I think it reads pretty well (for a draft).

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Somebody mentioned this, and it seems like fun, I haven't written anything in years, and nothing for other people, so this might be good for me!

https://nanowrimo.org/participants/nettle_soup

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Feeling a little burnt out on drawing after working on a long visual arts pet project, so I decided to shift gears to prose writing and give nanowrimo a shot this year.

https://nanowrimo.org/participants/plum-night

I've had an idea milling about in my notebook for about a year now that can basically be summed up as "queer Fire Emblem about a trans boy who self-actualizes through his found family, but the group risks being torn apart by their obligations to family and country when open conflict arises and a century-old injustice comes to light." Toss in a Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind kind of setting, with mysterious ecological magic, all of which is still barely sketched out yet.

I love fantasy comics, movies, and video games, but I almost never read fantasy novels, so this is kind of an exercise in seeing what will come out when I try to synthesize my normal reading habits with some of my other interests. Definitely not going to count all the outlining and character sketching notes toward my wordcount. The whole sketching ideas out in a notebook thing is something I started doing a while ago, and it's gotten me a ton of raw material, but I'm really curious to see how well that actually enables me to write the story itself.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Someone mentioned how to plan a piece and I gave kind of a half-hearted answer, but these are some guiding thoughts I've learned over the years that help me out:

The David Mamet letter to the writers of the unit is a famous crash course in writing drama that helps to keep me focused: https://2fvqxa3fxpfi2sm7tt1oe5ln-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/David-Mamet-Memo.pdf. Bringing the memo up has become a bit of a meme to the point that some people are tired of bringing it up. It also comes with the caveat that screenwriting is different from novel writing in that novel writing does need to convey degrees of information, but the overall guidance of creating characters with acute goals and putting obstacles in their way is a good guiding principal for writing engaging stories. So, whenever I'm writing, I'm trying to figure out what any given character's goals at any given time are, and how they are trying to achieve them. Usually, when I can answer those questions, my plans really come together and words fly onto the page.

A lesson I learned from a teacher that helps me to just keep writing is to understand when the language I'm using should be specific, and when it should be concise. Have you ever gotten driving directions from someone who laboriously gives you moment-to-moment guidance on how to get to your destination? e.g., "Okay, take a left out of here, then a right on, then get on 220 to exit 22a, then..." That is being specific. Specificity is helpful, but other times you wish that they'd just said "You know the McDonald's by the truck stop? Yeah, there's the road behind it where you see that baseball field- the place you're looking for is that white house. Yeah, that's the one" That is being concise. It is understanding that the person being given the directions has a baseline knowledge of where things are and relating information from there. pecific language is useful for when I generally want a reader to not mistake important details for their own sake, whether that's a mood, a setting, or a character's feelings or appearance. Concise language is for when I want the reader to know that there is a mountain range in the distance and that they are rocky and snow-capped without having to detail each and every peak and slope. Maybe that shopkeeper doesn't need to be described as anything other than portly and dark-haired. Does it really matter if your reader imagines this one-time character as a different height, skin color, or wearing glasses? No? Then try keeping it concise. This helps uncomplicate my plans and sort them into relating information that needs to be absorbed versus information that is needed to keep the story moving.

I could be wrong about a lot of these, but they help me I like discussing this kind of stuff with people.

Coquito Ergo Sum fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 30, 2021

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I'm back and going for Win #13, with some good ol' fashioned Lesbian Content.

https://nanowrimo.org/participants/pikestaff

I am also once again plugging 4thewords which is a really fun word count based RPG if you're into gamification. It's really helped me a lot these past couple of Novembers. https://4thewords.com/

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Looks like I'm going to be job hunting and possibly preparing to move countries next month, so I'm not confident I'm going to be able to do it this year.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Devorum posted:

Looks like I'm going to be job hunting and possibly preparing to move countries next month, so I'm not confident I'm going to be able to do it this year.

I'm basically in the same boat. I made a stressful career pivot that in 1 year has etched lines into my forehead worthy of a chronically dehydrated alcoholic sea captain. I'm routinely going into overtime. I'll be happy if I hit 20K words, tbh. If I hit 50K, I am taking a week off work regardless of what's happening there.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Well my hero has become a heroine to stick to the cozy supernatural mystery genre conventions. But I am still making her a professor at the HBCU of magic and wizardry. And figuring out how to do a murder mystery in a small town Louisiana.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

White Chocolate posted:

Well my hero has become a heroine to stick to the cozy supernatural mystery genre conventions. But I am still making her a professor at the HBCU of magic and wizardry. And figuring out how to do a murder mystery in a small town Louisiana.

I want to read this.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

White Chocolate posted:

I think this is a wise choice. And, yeah, it sounds great!

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
I will post the edited version at the the month? Or first draft?

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

After all these years and what visible progress I made, I'm still awful, and I mean just absolutely dogshit, at past perfect/progressive/habitual in my first drafts and it shows like crazy in everything I write.

Coquito Ergo Sum fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 31, 2021

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I was gonna write a story about a big derpy dragon who delivers letters, but now that I've made a world, I've realised he's rubbish at actually interacting with it... This may end up as a series of short stories.

Also all of my dialogue is incredibly Northen English. How did this happen.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 31, 2021

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Nettle Soup posted:

I was gonna write a story about a big derpy dragon who delivers letters, but now that I've made a world, I've realised he's rubbish at actually interacting with it... This may end up as a series of short stories.

Also all of my dialogue is incredibly Northen English. How did this happen.

I would read the heck out of this.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
Spooky season is over, now we're in spookier season! Strap in!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

for Euro friends it has already begun

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
And over here in Aus, I'm calling it for today at 5,084 words. I could probably go for more, but I kind of need to stop and work on other stuff, plus ponder a few things in my outline.

I am livestreaming everything as I write over on my YouTube channel if anyone wants to drop in and write in real time with a buddy (or just :munch: while I string terrible words together in a terrible mess) https://www.youtube.com/c/PaperTigerProductions

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I can only write on half my days in November (I work twelve hour shifts, so I literally have no time on those days), so I kind of cheated and did four days of writing in October to get 11,942. I did 3.5k yesterday, but I need to do some snipping before I'm comfortable throwing it into the count.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
https://nanowrimo.org/participants/idle-amalgam

Let's rock.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Friend me goons:

https://nanowrimo.org/participants/beddoe

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but anyone have recommendations for resources on medieval combat techniques and tactics? The characters in my story are training to become knights, but I don't really know very much about ancient warfare lol. I know a little bit of kendo technique, and vanishingly little about spear, shield, archery, or western swordsmanship techniques, and I'd love to remedy that for the good of my creative output. The first thing that comes to mind for me is just youtubing HEMA videos and things like naginata-do tournaments and using those for inspiration, but I'm sure there must be some good books or other resources out there that are handy for creatives.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

There are actually some really great brief swordsmanship tutorials on TikTok of all places.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

Cephas posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but anyone have recommendations for resources on medieval combat techniques and tactics? The characters in my story are training to become knights, but I don't really know very much about ancient warfare lol. I know a little bit of kendo technique, and vanishingly little about spear, shield, archery, or western swordsmanship techniques, and I'd love to remedy that for the good of my creative output. The first thing that comes to mind for me is just youtubing HEMA videos and things like naginata-do tournaments and using those for inspiration, but I'm sure there must be some good books or other resources out there that are handy for creatives.

You could always see if there is a HEMA teacher near your location, and ask them/interview them. All the HEMA organizations I have been a part of are super enthusiastic, and open for questions.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
1705 words written today!
Today's plot twist is that a TV Detector Van will be used to fight against the Commodore 64 sprites invading London.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Hit 2000 on day one, it's a little bit lower than I usually like to aim for at the start but I'm feeling pretty good about my pace. I may or may not have taken several Minecraft breaks.

limaCAT posted:

1705 words written today!
Today's plot twist is that a TV Detector Van will be used to fight against the Commodore 64 sprites invading London.

oh I love this. I hope it's set to Monty on the Run music.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021
5K, but that's anticipating I won't be able to write for a few other days.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

2000 words down about a movie production assistant meeting a hunky stormwater management expert in a picturesque mediterranean cliffside village. Will they uncover the dark secrets behind the mysterious erosion threatening the town???

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Well my story is about Hell’s pantler (the person in charge of the pantry) getting roped into babysitting an irresponsible demon prince who sets out to solve a commoner’s mystery ills - possibly just in a bid to shirk his royal duties.

Basically RIP to me as I contend with five million fantasy names and non-human descriptions in my first 1k words. Why did I do this.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
6102 for Day 2!

I now understand how the peeps doing monster word counts last year were getting there...or at least, I've worked out what works for me. Apparently that's share my screen on a livestream so I know internet strangers are watching and therefore I have no option other than to keep writing. As long as I give myself permission to use placeholders in the prose and write insulting notes about my own writing in the margin, my brain can apparently keep going.

Brains are weird.

Cephas posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but anyone have recommendations for resources on medieval combat techniques and tactics?

You need Shadversity: https://www.youtube.com/user/shadmbrooks

He's a medieval weapons/culture/life geek, an author in his own right and he acted as a historical consultant on Brandon Sanderson's Rhythm of War for all of the stuff with Adolin and swords and general combat stuff.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Thanks for the feedback! I'll be sure to check out that channel. I think the nearby university has a HEMA club too, so maybe in the future I can try to chat with them.

I got a bit of a head start, but on the other hand I'm also mostly working on a typewriter for fun so I don't know what the actual word count is yet. Finished page 9.

Introduced some queer fantasy teens, showed off their magic powers (protagonist can control wind from his hands and feet, another character has power over biomineralization and can create crystallized forms of minerals found in the human body), and quickly got them to a position where they have to enter a military skirmish against a band of bandits holed up in the nearby village.

Right now I'm mostly operating under the presumption of "if I'm not bored by what's going on, then maybe the reader won't be bored either" and just trying to keep the momentum going. I have a loose sketch of where the story will go eventually, but it's kind of like working from the beginning and the end to try to fill in the middle.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
2634 words for day one of my weird rear end sci-fi novel that is best described as "It's Dune meets Stalker but from the perspective of the guild navigators and everyone is disabled and high on noise music." Wrote a super rough draft of the ending because it came to me in a flash of inspiration as I was taking my daily walk to the grocery store.

Good luck on day two everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
3003 day 1 words, going to try and build a reasonable buffer for my inevitable faceplant later in the month