Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I wrote 1700 words about some kid who wants to be an artist. I'm not sure how, because I think most of it is just the description of his rather empty bedroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Okay, so I wrote about 300 words. But, to be fair, I also wrote two exams :rolleyes:

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Cephas posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but anyone have recommendations for resources on medieval combat techniques and tactics? The characters in my story are training to become knights, but I don't really know very much about ancient warfare lol. I know a little bit of kendo technique, and vanishingly little about spear, shield, archery, or western swordsmanship techniques, and I'd love to remedy that for the good of my creative output. The first thing that comes to mind for me is just youtubing HEMA videos and things like naginata-do tournaments and using those for inspiration, but I'm sure there must be some good books or other resources out there that are handy for creatives.

Blood and Iron HEMA is a good channel. Their early stuff is really informative, talking about different countries' styles and stances (like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OgaIuzROrs) and would probably be helpful. They hit a wall where they kind of ran out of ideas around the time the pandemic hit, but they're getting better again.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

This one's for Leng. Brickwrath is just an old dude who has done his time in the royal engineers and now just wants to nap and make ceramic gargoyles. He refuses to tell me why he changed his name. He's not even old, he's like 34!

He might be a gargoyle?

The focus of my story atm seems to be less about the dragon, and more about people who want to make art...

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
only managed to knock out 1811 words but I still beat my target for the day so I'm calling it a win

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
My pace is slowing down as I hit "??? thar be dragons" gaps in my world building. 3296 words today and I'm exhausted because I couldn't stop reading Cradle. Argh.

newts posted:

Okay, so I wrote about 300 words. But, to be fair, I also wrote two exams :rolleyes:

Exam writing is the hardest and most difficult kind of writing so I'm quite frankly amazed you were able to pull out 300 words.

Nettle Soup posted:

This one's for Leng. Brickwrath is just an old dude who has done his time in the royal engineers and now just wants to nap and make ceramic gargoyles. He refuses to tell me why he changed his name. He's not even old, he's like 34!

He might be a gargoyle?

:swoon: would read, please post in the fiction farm to table crits thread or your own CC thread if you're comfortable once the story is done!

Wayfaring Stranger
Feb 16, 2011
I managed 574 words over the past 2 days because (excuses,excuses) in addition to my day job, I had to prepare learning materials for the online course I teach. I think I screwed up anyway and started a story that wasn't far enough elong in the planning process so I got a little paralyzed, even at such an early stage. I have the outline for another story that I have thought through more completely, so I may change gears. Falling at the first hurdle!

So nice to see so many other goons blasting away at their wordcounts. Well done y'all.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Leng posted:

My pace is slowing down as I hit "??? thar be dragons" gaps in my world building. 3296 words today and I'm exhausted because I couldn't stop reading Cradle. Argh.

Exam writing is the hardest and most difficult kind of writing so I'm quite frankly amazed you were able to pull out 300 words.

:swoon: would read, please post in the fiction farm to table crits thread or your own CC thread if you're comfortable once the story is done!

I don't feel up to linking it to everyone, because I'm aware it's incredibly boring and nothing happens. But I sent you a link!

I timed myself earlier, 15:10 to 15:40 was 579 words, so that's not too bad!

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Managed to hit my target for the day at 1,627 words, but boy the scene I wrote today was a total counterpoint to the scene I wrote yesterday. Felt like pulling my fingernails off. But whatever. Tomorrow will be better. On we go!

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I love reading the updates in this thread, everyone’s stories sound so intriguing!

Hit 3k total today, I’m behind but that’s all right. My opening was particularly rough to bash out, I had a lot of decisions to make that were actively detrimental if I left them as placeholders. Onto more familiar territory tomorrow, describing busy city streets while characters argue about where they’re going!

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Forgot to update yesterday, but so far I'm at 6436! If I can shake off the post-nap groggy, I might try and tack another 1K on before bed.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Finished page 12. In an act of supreme silliness, I'm writing entirely analog--either with a notebook and pen or with a manual typewriter. It's definitely not efficient to use a typewriter (it might actually be even slower than handwriting?), but there's something about having a stack of A4 paper, all numbered at the top right corner, gradually accumulating in size each day. It really makes each page feel like a tangible accomplishment.

My newbie knight-in-training trans boy, Sorrel, just plunged a spear into a bandit archer and killed someone for the first time. He has no time to feel bad about it, because his squad has several more bandits to contend with first.

I'm starting to see why not many people actually try NaNoWriMo. Between work, exercise, and writing, I'm lucky to get to bed at 2 in the morning.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Sub 3k words today as I struggle with scenes that contain more than 2 characters interacting at a time plus fight/action sequences :(

Nettle Soup posted:

I don't feel up to linking it to everyone, because I'm aware it's incredibly boring and nothing happens. But I sent you a link!

Got it! Will check it out! :)

Cephas posted:

Finished page 12. In an act of supreme silliness, I'm writing entirely analog--either with a notebook and pen or with a manual typewriter. It's definitely not efficient to use a typewriter (it might actually be even slower than handwriting?), but there's something about having a stack of A4 paper, all numbered at the top right corner, gradually accumulating in size each day. It really makes each page feel like a tangible accomplishment.

I need to know: how are you avoiding hand cramps?

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Probably not a great idea to use NaNo to get the barely-plotted climax of my book finished. I think I’ve actually deleted more words than I’ve written!

In other news, my daughter is in the Young Writers Program (as part of a before-school club) and is crushing her word count goals :love:

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

newts posted:

Probably not a great idea to use NaNo to get the barely-plotted climax of my book finished. I think I’ve actually deleted more words than I’ve written!

In other news, my daughter is in the Young Writers Program (as part of a before-school club) and is crushing her word count goals :love:

That's awesome, I can't wait until my kid is old enough to do things like that!

I've introduced most of my characters and plot setup, now I just have to actually get the plot rolling. I think today the lead dragoness is going to find out that the lead dragon-hunter has a necklace that was stolen from her and is going to put a curse on it/the hunter, the lead dragon is going to get into a fight with his bigoted father and start planning his escape from his horrible cultist family, and the lead vampire is going to try to get the cult family and the local werewolf clan to fight, hopefully to the death.

...it's possible I have too many characters, but it's nano, if they need to be cut they'll be cut later.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Leng posted:

I need to know: how are you avoiding hand cramps?

by being a slow af writer! when I was transcribing my handwritten pages to typeface (to later transcribe again to computer, I know), I noticed just how clunky and laborious a typewriter can be. But when i'm writing one word at a time, i'm not typing nearly as fast. Plus I've been contending with things like "okay, if I said the squad of 9 trainees is squaring off against a dozen bandits, and two of them have bows, then that would mean spacially, the spearmen would be around here, and the hatchetmen would be here, and the biggest threat would be..." So there's no risk of overworking my hands lol.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
I took tomorrow off to transcribe everything I've been writing. I didn't expect transcription to be a hell in this process. I suppose I should use google docs or something in the cloud for ease of access on the go.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I haven't written anything. Pre-schooler nephew sneezed and coughed on me and now I'm dead in the water. Tired and hurting all over. What great timing

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

That sucks, I wondered where you'd gone.

I'm at 1360 for today so far. Todays story is about a postmaster who has made her assistant cry and is now desperately trying to assuage her guilt with hot chocolate and stilted conversation.

Wayfaring Stranger
Feb 16, 2011
Struggling making the counts, but I'm at 3131 overall. While I was flailing yesterday I skipped to the end of the chapter because I knew how I wanted it to end, so that was useful. Today I had two shepherds trapped by a storm in a ruined house, but I needed a baddy to encounter during the night, and I think I found the perfect one. I've roughed out how the confrontation will go. Although I'm devastatingly behind, I can at least cinch up chapter 1.

I'll say again I'm really happy to see everyone flying in the first week. I hope to catch up this weekend, but the important thing for me is to get into the habit and sitting down and writing anything at all, no matter how I feel.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Am at the doctor being looked at and I have a mild fever of 99.3, no wonder I can't do anything 8)

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Yikes! Get well soon.

2064 words for me today, because I'm now in the middle of a massive brawl scene and trying to figure out how magic works with fighting in this world, also I have no practical fighting experience outside of paint ball, laser tag and nerf archery so

newts posted:

Chernobyl Princess posted:

That's awesome, I can't wait until my kid is old enough to do things like that!

:same:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Well, this is unhelpful. I did 1700 yesterday, my laptop switched off during the night, and now it's decided that all those words just came out of nowhere, I suppose.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021
Hit 15K, and enjoying the power of the First Person Perspective. You can really do info dumps and add a character's voice with it, which makes pumping out the words great.

How "Rough" are ya all words? Like, I can understand what I'm trying to write, but I'm sure if I gave it to someone else it they wouldn't understand it.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

DropTheAnvil posted:

How "Rough" are ya all words? Like, I can understand what I'm trying to write, but I'm sure if I gave it to someone else it they wouldn't understand it.

Pretty rough. I have placeholders all over the place, but it'd probably be understandable to a third party, simply due to the sheer volume of comments on the side of the document where I spell out what I'm trying to do.

Finally got to the end of my brawl scene, which puts the whole chapter at 5200 words flat, and 22.5k words overall. I'm gonna be so happy when I get over that 25k milestone.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

god I love the weekend, hit the daily goal of 1667 before lunch :woop: I'm going to take a break and then see about padding it up. I have to make up for yesterday where a sinus infection knocked me out and I only wrote like 600 words.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
Ive been able to steadily to get atleast 500 words a day so far, ive been on holiday so it's been fairly easy. Dreading going back to work though.

Going to atleast try to complete it this year though.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I'm just doing 1000 a day and aiming to be done by New Year's. Taking it easy this year.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Todays and yesterdays story is about an orphan girl who goes out and gets lost, and the realisation from the other kids who look after her that they're parents now. It's getting ridiculously long.

1771 words today, and now I have a dnd game to attend!

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Failed to get over 25k today, by less than 500 words. Feeling weirdly disappointed in myself, even though I wasn't anticipating doing 2.5k words today. I was supposed to write a short 700-800 word denouement scene for the brawl, which has now turned into a ~2000 word scene in a tavern (~700 of those on food) with no end in sight.

I do not like this discovery writing business.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

...I had an all day charity event so I wrote 22 words. Met my fundraising goal tho so that's nice. Luckily I was ahead but I'll have to do some more catching up today

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

The discovery writer’s plan:

In order to regroup and unpack the mystery, our demon cast returns to the pantry so we have an excuse to talk about what a pantler does. The prince character explains his theory about the magic so far, ending with a hook into some magical tests and/or research they can perform.

The discovery writer’s journey:

Okay, so we have a skeleton (previously for sale) with us now.
Also spectacles.
The prince puts the spectacles on the skeleton.
Also he’s hungry, so we eat.
Wait, how is the skeleton wearing spectacles?
I guess it has ears.
Wait, do demons know that human skeletons don’t have ears?
Is the witness lying to them about where he got this skeleton?

The witness has now stormed off, no actual theories have been presented, and we’ve skipped right to dangerous magical experiments in the pantry. Perfect. Let’s see if we can end this chapter without serious bodily injury this time!

newts
Oct 10, 2012
I’m at a truly pathetic 3000 words (that’s total). November just isn’t my month. But, on the plus side, I’ve pushed through on getting something down for each of the scenes I was dreading the most: sex scene, action scene, resolution scene (for the entire novel). So that’s a plus. I feel like the end is in sight!

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
I had somehow catastrophically miscalculated the number of words per day so I'm just over 5000 at the minute when I should have over double this haha.

Maths was never my subject apparently lol.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

i'm trying to punch through the first draft of my latest. it's a sequel to my south Florida free spirited PI living on a boat novel. right now, I'm at 11K and rising, which isn't too bad considering all the day job stuff I've had to do!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Finally turned a corner yesterday. Going to see how much I can get done in between bits at work.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

The orphan is still lost, but two of her surrogate-brothers are robbing a country house for a map that was destined for the not-british museum. There's a party going on, so they should be able to nick some food on their way out too.

I still have no idea how she gets home, but at least the boys are having a good time.

Glad you guys are doing better!

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Broke 20k words. Will revise and then update my profile. I'm up to the high action parts of my A and B plots. I'm really looking forward to these particular re-writes.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Glad to see everyone’s updates in this thread. :dance:

Yesterday was really hard for some reason but joining some sprints others were running on YT/Discord got me through it. I’m almost caught up to the NaNo daily goal, sitting just shy of 14k right now. About to tackle a chase scene in the rain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I fell off my bike and scraped my hands bloody, this is gonna hurt. :sigh: