Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
My family finally left me alone for a few hours yesterday, so I’m up to a very pathetic 9,000 words or so. Go me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Gonna be done just in time, but my work schedule got even crazier than I planned, so it's all gonna be unrevised.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

newts posted:

My family finally left me alone for a few hours yesterday, so I’m up to a very pathetic 9,000 words or so. Go me!

Clocking in at 12.5, not coutning untyped notes and scene descriptions. For some reason, I thought if I just wrote out in a few words what should happen in any given scene, it would just write itself basically lol... dumb, bad and wrong lol, but also I feel like my writing isn't the worst this attempt so I'm not too sour about it. I feel like I'll actually complete the project regardless of the month, and that'll do for now.

Congrats to everyone who is finishing up or has cleared their goal, you're kicking rear end!

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
it's 1 AM, I'm on page 29, and I spent over an hour writing a single page describing a dead gay prince's secret painting hanging on his knight's wall

i think i'm probably living the truest version of myself.

GJ to everyone who can actually keep to a deadline!

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
And done. 9th win in a row; 13th win overall.

Not close to my fastest win but one I never worried about completing. Faster win than last year, even if last year I had a larger buffer. Even just two years ago I could snake in with 11 days. I've gotten so old. Not as bad as the 11K last day sprint from four years ago though.

Congratulations to all the other winners.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

I made it! This is only my second time winning, so I'm pretty psyched. Of course, I've got a whole bunch more novel to write, but I'm hoping that I can keep up the good habits.

Congrats to everyone crossing the finish line!

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Had two great writing days back-to-back and crossed 50k tonight! My first NaNo. :toot:

But I still need to write another chapter or so to finish this off, so I’m not actually done!

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Yeah this wasn't my year. 2021 no more challenges for a while. I may incorporate Nano into an ongoing project but yeah this didn't work juggling three projects.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I'll post your names in the winner post this week, good job everybody!

I need to total up all the words I wrote. Did not win this year but I actually feel like I made a good effort this time which is a nice feeling.

Cephas posted:

it's 1 AM, I'm on page 29, and I spent over an hour writing a single page describing a dead gay prince's secret painting hanging on his knight's wall

i think i'm probably living the truest version of myself.

GJ to everyone who can actually keep to a deadline!

I feel this so hard

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Congrats to all winners!!

I have ended up with 91,835 total, split 71,967 to book 1 and 19,886 to book 2.

Didn't clear all 3 of my goals, but 2 out of 3 is a majority so I'll take it:

75k total :)
50k on 1 book :) and
75k to finish the book :( I've still got at least 2 chapters to go so it's gonna wind up at close to 90-100k...

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I did NaNoWriMo for the first time ever. Passed over the hump on Sunday. https://nanowrimo.org/participants/john-freeman

I started college in 2000 as a writing major, realized I couldn't make it as a Proper Writer by 2001, and switched majors. It was basically a few instances of fan fiction after that, then no Creative Proper Writing at all for basically decades.

I don't wanna e/n it but I went into NaNo as an exercise in being OK with myself not being great at something I wanted to try for fun. It came out an actual novel. Still gotta do editing and stuff but it's past 50k and will stay that way.

Now I get to find a human or two to edit it.

Can't believe it happened.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

It's been fun. I went into it as a challenge to myself, and I like what I've ended up with, even if it's not terribly coherent or well edited. I even got all the badges! Which was quite a push through several really bad days.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/48084/crests-the-skies-a-story-about-a-dragon-amongst

It's here if anyone wants to see it. It still all feels very personal. Part of what's kept me going is checking it, seeing nobody has read it, and then letting that relief spur me on to writing more. xD

I guess a lot of it near the end was revisiting tropes I liked as a kid and working with those. I'm not sure everything I wrote worked, but it was fun.

I'll probably continue updating it, but I need to give my hands a break first.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Unfortunately I crashed and burned pretty hard this year. Just 7k, compared to the 15k I managed last year.

Ah well. Maybe next year.

Congratulations to all the winners! :grovertoot:

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
Hit that 50,000! :toot:

Still ought to write a few thousand words to finish off the story, but I wrote "THE END" at the bottom of the document, so it's technically finished!!!

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

50,049 words and ~7,000 of them in the last 24 hours. 7th win overall and 4th in a row.

This has been a weird one for me. I was going strong early on but hit a slump in the last week, resulting in a rush to catch up at the end. I've had no trouble churning out the words once I actually sit down and start writing but have really struggled to do so. I'm just glad I had a scene-by-scene plan ready to go on day 1 because that's removed a lot of the pesky thinking required.

I trialled 4theWords this year and found it interesting. I'm not sure how much it actually helped me write day-to-day but within a given writing session I think having lots of little milestones (the individual monsters you fight) may have helped, even if it was only turning a 1 hour sprint into 1 hour and 15 minutes. If you're on the fence, I'd say give it a try - you get a month free to start with and don't need to give any payment details up front.

I'm nowhere near done with the story but I'll get there eventually.

Congratulations to everyone who took part! Regardless of how many words you wrote, you have more written now than at the start of the month!

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I typed the first few pages into my word processor and multiplied that by the number of pages I've written, and I'm in the ballpark of 11,000 words. More than anything else, it's given me the writing bug again after being burnt out for like 5 years. So I have to consider it a rousing success on a personal level, even if it's not the standard NaNoWriMo victory.

I'm now in the conundrum that I've been studying drawing for the past few years in my spare time, but now I'm all-in on my queer fantasy novel. The joys and sorrows of having too many interests.

Once again, congrats to everyone!

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Didn't finish within a month but I wasn't planning on it this year.

My 10 year old daughter however finished her book last night and called me over to watch her type the last word and make a bunch of celebration animations go off.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Will post up up the winners this Friday. I have 2 big grad school assignments due.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
This was my first nano victory. I picked an absolutely poo poo month to poop a bunch of words out of my brain hole but by god they're there and a few of them might even be salvageable

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

First time I finished on the last day instead of a day early, but a win is a win. This year was my 5th consecutive completion so I'm very slowly assembling a story one month per year at a time.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I updated the winners post, if you won but your name is not on the list please post in this thread and I'll add it.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Guess I'll do the April one too!

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I’m deep in revision land, doing a major restructure. So I’m writing this month too!

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

So I’m not actually revising what I wrote for NaNo, instead I’m revising the prose novel I completed the first draft of last spring. Put it through my writing group, got the best feedback I could get (“it’s not working”), and had to let it marinate for a while to work through the parts I find challenging - better structure, deeper worldbuilding.

It’s actually been a fun puzzle. Deleting scenes, combining scenes, adding scenes, rearranging. I cut a planned major character at the outline stage, and have since realized that I actually need them so that means a lot of my second act is going to be effectively new. Kind of worried I don’t have a thought-out plan for this, but it makes the discovery part of my brain excited so I think it’s a good thing for motivation.

I’m sitting at ~55k words revised so far. I have another ~40k that haven’t been touched yet. My original goal was 75-90k for this book, so we’ll see if I blow past it after this round of edits!

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Revised another 5k words yesterday. First feedback is “still not working.” Today is a rest and think day.

I’m pretty bad at setting and measuring goals. There are suggestions here for Camp NaNo for non-word count goals: https://nanowrimo.org/what-is-camp-nanowrimo#nonwordgoals

1) “Editing” measured in the words on the pages you are about to edit
2) Amount of time spent
3) Number of pages you want to produce

I’m trying to figure out how this will work for me. Of the 5k words I touched yesterday, only ~1k were edited in situ. Another ~1k were pulled from an entirely different part of my draft and revised to fit in the new scene. The remaining ~3k were new (my first draft had some parts severely underwritten). Time goals don’t reflect my desired outcome - a new draft of the manuscript. And I have no particular goal on the final length beyond a desire to stay under something, but I might need to blow past it then edit down.

So… I guess it’s the first option and I think I’m going to measure it by counting down instead, tracking how many words of my old draft have yet to have something done with them (revise/delete).

Which means I’ve only tackled 2k / 40k. :toot:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I think I'm gonna spend today reading over what I've written in the past and fixing up spelling mistakes and doubled up words, now that I'm a bit further away from it.

Then I'm going to continue my pokemon fanfic because writing anything serious is hard.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I like revising. It feels good to delete a paragraph or two and replace the with some better, more concise sentences.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Actually went over the first 3 chapters, then got a good 1.7k words out properly. Decided that I didn't like what I was writing yesterday, so gently caress it, write something I do like instead. It went much better.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Day 5: maybe my book is two books? Time to break out the index cards…

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I like revising. It feels good to delete a paragraph or two and replace the with some better, more concise sentences.
I really like this, too. I’m fighting structure, but the parts that only need this type of update are really fun to work through. It’s a real sense of satisfaction to see how much I can improve things at the line level.

Nettle Soup posted:

Actually went over the first 3 chapters, then got a good 1.7k words out properly. Decided that I didn't like what I was writing yesterday, so gently caress it, write something I do like instead. It went much better.

:toot:

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

kaom posted:

Day 5: maybe my book is two books? Time to break out the index cards…

So I slept on it. And I index carded. And I broke out the post-its.

I think I have one book, but it’s not a three act structure. It might be five acts.

With this in mind, going to be doing some work in… what is now act 4, not 2, for a better character decision-based through line.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Created a new outline last night. I’m now targeting 24 chapters and a short epilogue. If I can keep my chapters averaging 4k or below, then I’ll still make it across the finish line under 100k total. I’ll be able to keep the first 10 chapters I’ve already revised, with structural changes from there. Most of my original draft can be salvaged to some extent.

I think I’ll end up deleting just two scenes in their entirety, which sum up to about 5k so I’m counting them now.

7k/40k

Still most of the month to go, let’s see how I do! :toot:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

You got this!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I'm not really sure what happened.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Amazing, way to go! :toot:

Summary since last night:
- Chapter 11 had its ending deleted, replaced with a subset of the ending from chapter 13 (about 1k words fell victim to deletion).
- Chapter 12 has consequently had its location changed. In the middle of reviewing for tone, continuity.
- The bulk of the old chapter 13 is about to get deleted/chopped up to move two chapters later.

I don’t really know how to count this since it was already not really in the 40k I’m reworking? Whatever, it’s progress!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

It all counts! My nano count is a good 7k ahead of my Royal Road one, because I add in everything from editing and drafts and warmup writing.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Work kicked my butt last week so my Camp NaNo goals are looking pretty unlikely overall, but I’m still forging ahead.

- Ch 13 got drafted (recycled about 2k words)
- Ch 14 got drafted (recycled about 2k words)

So that puts me at 14/24 chapters, and about 11/40k words revised.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Hit my 50k, I suppose! A good chunk of that is other little bits of writing and scrivener screwing up but pretty sure I'm going to hit the 55k writathon goal for my main project if I keep at it, so that's what matters.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
good job with Camp NaNo everyone!

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Thanks. :)

Nettle Soup posted:

Hit my 50k, I suppose! A good chunk of that is other little bits of writing and scrivener screwing up but pretty sure I'm going to hit the 55k writathon goal for my main project if I keep at it, so that's what matters.

Way to go! :toot:

I got through chapter 15 today. New stats 15/24 chapters, 14/40k words.

I definitely won’t hit my goal for Camp, but I am moving forward still so it’s been good motivation anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
I got 41k posted but it got me to within a stones throw of the end of my novel.