Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Somebody mentioned this, and it seems like fun, I haven't written anything in years, and nothing for other people, so this might be good for me!

https://nanowrimo.org/participants/nettle_soup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I was gonna write a story about a big derpy dragon who delivers letters, but now that I've made a world, I've realised he's rubbish at actually interacting with it... This may end up as a series of short stories.

Also all of my dialogue is incredibly Northen English. How did this happen.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 31, 2021

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I wrote 1700 words about some kid who wants to be an artist. I'm not sure how, because I think most of it is just the description of his rather empty bedroom.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

This one's for Leng. Brickwrath is just an old dude who has done his time in the royal engineers and now just wants to nap and make ceramic gargoyles. He refuses to tell me why he changed his name. He's not even old, he's like 34!

He might be a gargoyle?

The focus of my story atm seems to be less about the dragon, and more about people who want to make art...

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Leng posted:

My pace is slowing down as I hit "??? thar be dragons" gaps in my world building. 3296 words today and I'm exhausted because I couldn't stop reading Cradle. Argh.

Exam writing is the hardest and most difficult kind of writing so I'm quite frankly amazed you were able to pull out 300 words.

:swoon: would read, please post in the fiction farm to table crits thread or your own CC thread if you're comfortable once the story is done!

I don't feel up to linking it to everyone, because I'm aware it's incredibly boring and nothing happens. But I sent you a link!

I timed myself earlier, 15:10 to 15:40 was 579 words, so that's not too bad!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

That sucks, I wondered where you'd gone.

I'm at 1360 for today so far. Todays story is about a postmaster who has made her assistant cry and is now desperately trying to assuage her guilt with hot chocolate and stilted conversation.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Well, this is unhelpful. I did 1700 yesterday, my laptop switched off during the night, and now it's decided that all those words just came out of nowhere, I suppose.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Todays and yesterdays story is about an orphan girl who goes out and gets lost, and the realisation from the other kids who look after her that they're parents now. It's getting ridiculously long.

1771 words today, and now I have a dnd game to attend!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

The orphan is still lost, but two of her surrogate-brothers are robbing a country house for a map that was destined for the not-british museum. There's a party going on, so they should be able to nick some food on their way out too.

I still have no idea how she gets home, but at least the boys are having a good time.

Glad you guys are doing better!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I fell off my bike and scraped my hands bloody, this is gonna hurt. :sigh:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

That's a lotta words! Good job!

I just passed 26k, so that's a relief.

Post your muse. My last 2k were written lying on the sofa, with this monstrosity pinning down one arm.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

rememberered and maintinance , I should get the spell checker to just auto-fix those two.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Hit todays goal with 10 minutes left before midnight, between rounds of Spirit Island. :v:

Still on goal every day, but the thing I'm writing atm is a mess, I have no idea how I'm gonna edit it down into something readable.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I hit 50k yesterday :unsmith:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

That's impressive, good job!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

It's been fun. I went into it as a challenge to myself, and I like what I've ended up with, even if it's not terribly coherent or well edited. I even got all the badges! Which was quite a push through several really bad days.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/48084/crests-the-skies-a-story-about-a-dragon-amongst

It's here if anyone wants to see it. It still all feels very personal. Part of what's kept me going is checking it, seeing nobody has read it, and then letting that relief spur me on to writing more. xD

I guess a lot of it near the end was revisiting tropes I liked as a kid and working with those. I'm not sure everything I wrote worked, but it was fun.

I'll probably continue updating it, but I need to give my hands a break first.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Guess I'll do the April one too!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I think I'm gonna spend today reading over what I've written in the past and fixing up spelling mistakes and doubled up words, now that I'm a bit further away from it.

Then I'm going to continue my pokemon fanfic because writing anything serious is hard.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Actually went over the first 3 chapters, then got a good 1.7k words out properly. Decided that I didn't like what I was writing yesterday, so gently caress it, write something I do like instead. It went much better.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

You got this!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I'm not really sure what happened.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

It all counts! My nano count is a good 7k ahead of my Royal Road one, because I add in everything from editing and drafts and warmup writing.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Hit my 50k, I suppose! A good chunk of that is other little bits of writing and scrivener screwing up but pretty sure I'm going to hit the 55k writathon goal for my main project if I keep at it, so that's what matters.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I'm travelling to Germany to meet my partner's family (and to live there for a couple of months) in the middle of July so I think I'm gonna pass this one and jump back on in... November?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Trying to get my head back in gear for November.

I put my book on Amazon. :3:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BJHPM72R