Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayfaring Stranger
Feb 16, 2011
Hi everyone, I mostly lurk on SA in select spaces, including the Fiction writing thread. I've been doing a PhD the past few years so could never spare any writing energy for NaNoWriMo, but I'm going to take a crack at it this year!

I've roughed out a few ideas using the first steps of the snowflake method, and even created a beat sheet gleaned from Save the Cat writes a novel. I mostly like to write folklore-tinged dark fantasy type stuff - folk horror is achieving a bit of a revival at the moment. Like Kaom I have no idea how to plan creative projects, but I get on with more rigid frameworks which is probably the Stockholm Syndrome carrying over from academic writing.

Anyway, here's me, and best of luck other WriMos!

https://nanowrimo.org/participants/smchaussee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayfaring Stranger
Feb 16, 2011
Thanks for all the buddy requests! I have a couple plots floating around, but I think I'm settling on a 'monster in the house' folk horror novel set in a rural monastery during the early medieval period. I'm an archaeologist that studies that time, so hopefully I've internalised enough details for the world.

limaCAT posted:

I am going to write the story of an evil ai falling in love with a human nerd in 1986.

I wanted to set the scene in Italy but while waiting for the bus I envisioned a scene with Iron Lady Maggie trying to bully/shame/seduce the nerd into fighting the AI and now the setting is UK.

I think the shift in location is compelling

Wayfaring Stranger fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Oct 14, 2021

Wayfaring Stranger
Feb 16, 2011
How do y'all outline your work? Right now I'm developing my plot nugget using the Snowflake method, then I was going to create a list of scenes, which I then slot into a rough 'Save the Cat' framework. I've been dabbling in short fiction to get comfortable with the micro-scale structures that help move scenes along, and that's exciting. But, as I'm using a Frankenstein's monster of hybrid planning models already, I'm always open to hear how actually successful writers go about it.

What outlining formats have worked for you folks in the past? Not just NaNoWriMo winners, but everyone who is able to sit down and hammer out prose from notes.

Wayfaring Stranger
Feb 16, 2011
Thank you! It will be difficult to overstate how helpful your post is. I love the idea of long chapter summaries in the voice of the protagonist. I've sketched out the major nodes, but I agree the longer I tinker with minor points, it becomes inflexible - as you said perfectly, 'congealed'.

The whole point of NaNoWriMo is to pour out raw and half baked ideas, as long as its something. Your method is a great step between the broad plot points I already have and getting consistency at the middle scale through the use of the protagonist's POV.

Wayfaring Stranger
Feb 16, 2011
There are so many ace methods in the replies, I am very grateful to everyone who has shared their method - even the pantsers. Leng, your CC post and the resources therein are extremely my jam, so thank you especially for those. Also HIJK, I've been messing with yWriter the past couple days, so thank you for a solid OP with so many good bits in it.

Wayfaring Stranger
Feb 16, 2011
I managed 574 words over the past 2 days because (excuses,excuses) in addition to my day job, I had to prepare learning materials for the online course I teach. I think I screwed up anyway and started a story that wasn't far enough elong in the planning process so I got a little paralyzed, even at such an early stage. I have the outline for another story that I have thought through more completely, so I may change gears. Falling at the first hurdle!

So nice to see so many other goons blasting away at their wordcounts. Well done y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayfaring Stranger
Feb 16, 2011
Struggling making the counts, but I'm at 3131 overall. While I was flailing yesterday I skipped to the end of the chapter because I knew how I wanted it to end, so that was useful. Today I had two shepherds trapped by a storm in a ruined house, but I needed a baddy to encounter during the night, and I think I found the perfect one. I've roughed out how the confrontation will go. Although I'm devastatingly behind, I can at least cinch up chapter 1.

I'll say again I'm really happy to see everyone flying in the first week. I hope to catch up this weekend, but the important thing for me is to get into the habit and sitting down and writing anything at all, no matter how I feel.