Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

Cephas posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but anyone have recommendations for resources on medieval combat techniques and tactics? The characters in my story are training to become knights, but I don't really know very much about ancient warfare lol. I know a little bit of kendo technique, and vanishingly little about spear, shield, archery, or western swordsmanship techniques, and I'd love to remedy that for the good of my creative output. The first thing that comes to mind for me is just youtubing HEMA videos and things like naginata-do tournaments and using those for inspiration, but I'm sure there must be some good books or other resources out there that are handy for creatives.

You could always see if there is a HEMA teacher near your location, and ask them/interview them. All the HEMA organizations I have been a part of are super enthusiastic, and open for questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021
5K, but that's anticipating I won't be able to write for a few other days.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021
Hit 15K, and enjoying the power of the First Person Perspective. You can really do info dumps and add a character's voice with it, which makes pumping out the words great.

How "Rough" are ya all words? Like, I can understand what I'm trying to write, but I'm sure if I gave it to someone else it they wouldn't understand it.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

Leng posted:

How do folks who normally discovery write stay sane?

Watching as your characters naturally grow, and respond to the crazy things that you throw at them, is a lot of fun. It's in the edits and revisions you can fine tune things, remove things that just didn't work.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021
Hit 40K, and pretty happy with my draft that is developing!

I have a lot of action scenes I need to iron out in the rewrites, but that can wait for December!

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

HIJK posted:

I wrote 5,075 words 27,638 characters today :staredog:

Heck yeeeeah! You are gonna make it dude!

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021
Hit 50K, another Nano down woop woop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

The man called M posted:

Recently decided to sign up for Nanowrimo.

Now, those of you who know me from Thunderdome may be wondering, "loving WHY?!" Well, I had an idea in mind.

That Idea is of a Noir Pulp Detective who was Cryogenically Frozen and woke up to a very different, yet very same, Los Angeles.

The problem I have is in the beginning. How could I have my main character be frozen in freaking LA?

I really love this idea! It's fun, exciting and has a bunch to explore.

Here is a 5 second blurb I came up with.

Anthony Cardock was the cheapest detective on the block. Now, he is the only hope for hIs great-great-great-great grandaughter, who hires him for the biggest case in his life: Find out why he was frozen in time.
Waking up in 20XX Anthony learns that not only did he have a child, but that the more things change, the more things stay the same. New Angeles is still corrupt, but instead of skimming money off the top, its skimming slaves off the wave of migrants.

Facing a $THREAT and $DIRESITUATION Anthony has to make a decision. Abandon a family he hardly knows, or explore a future that quite simply doesn't want him.

Cept, no choice is every easy. Especially when old debts come back to haunt you, even when you've been frozen in time.

You might want to skip the whole setup, and just have him wake up in the future, hella confused and with a surrogate character to "mostly" explain the details.

Edit: Thunderdome is a measure of how quickly you can crank out a well done story. While that is a handy skill to have, and props for those who enter, don't think its the only measure of a writer's skill.