Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

HootTheOwl posted:

Marketing your game as filling to void in big prize wizard chess that magic left when it abandoned the pro tour and then not dropping the hammer on your champ straight up cheating is a bad look imo.

Nah that was part of growth of competitive magic too. Someone just needs to step up and be the Chris Pikula of F&B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Nah that was part of growth of competitive magic too. Someone just needs to step up and be the Chris Pikula of F&B.

Repeating all the mistakes your competitors made decades ago and relying on the community to fix it is not the best business plan.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Randalor posted:

While I fully agree that he should have a ban from his past history in MtG, I think this is the first instance of this happening at a F&B event, and at least they've put him (and the community in general) on notice of what they will and will not allow at their tournaments now from players.

They've definitely put the community on notice that if you cheat, you will receive some stern words from the organizers as they hand you your trophy and prize money.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

just cheat when you're not on camera because gosh this is game is hard

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

ilmucche posted:

Discreetly putting it into play is cheating in itself. You should never be modifying the board state without your opponent being aware.

He missed his trigger, if he wants to fix it he should be asking (like his opponent did)

This times a thousand. This massively undermines the sanctity of competitive play, which I don't say because it has any meaning in and of itself but because that's going to make people not want to bother participating in competitive tournaments. (Like how all NFL teams stopped playing against the Patriots in protest.) If this is how he comports himself on camera how are the players he supposedly defeated supposed to feel like perhaps he didn't alter the game state in other ways? Any transgression must be met strongly or just not at all and make it Monopoly Cheater's Edition.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

It's the fact they handwave him sneaking the token onto the board that gets me. The way they've written it seems like they're okay with him sneaking it in, then judge calling to stop his opponent doing it because his opponent was honest. It's basically changing what should be a judge call into an angle shooty as gently caress situation where if your sleight of hand is good enough you get away with it. If his opponent or someone catches him doing it what's the call?

And they don't even explain the other incident.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I honestly don't understand what is their line of thinking here. Do they think no one will notice that you can get away with blantant cheating? Do they think tey can afford more bad rap then game already has?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Covermeinsunshine posted:

I honestly don't understand what is their line of thinking here. Do they think no one will notice that you can get away with blantant cheating? Do they think tey can afford more bad rap then game already has?

You misunderstand. They think the game has a great rep.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
look at all that [[ADDITIONAL VALUE]]

rudy posted posted:

Metazoo Bonus items + shipping update
60% of Metazoo Kits have now Shipped
Standard MTG orders from 10/31/2021 are shipping

If you purchased more than 1 metazoo kit in a single payment
you will notice additional bonus items in your kit
Below is a breakdown of the extra items

~ BONUS ITEMS in METAZOO BUNDLES ~

1 x Metazoo Kit = All items originally disclosed at time of sale.

Normal Contents

------------------------------

2 x Metazoo Kits = Normal Contents

+1 = 1st ed Release Event Deck from Cryptid Nation (+$135.00)

Total additional value = $135.00

3 x Metazoo Kits = Normal Contents

+1 = 1st ed Cryptid Nation Booser Box (+$900.00)

Total additional value = $1,035.00

4 x Metazoo Kits = Normal Contents

+1 = Original Rudy Investment Sasquash (+$800.00)

Total additional value = $1,835.00

5 x Metazoo Kits = Normal Contents

+1 = Original Rudy Investment Sasquash Promo (+$800.00)

+1 = KICKSTARTER Booster box (+$9,000.00)

Total additional value = $10,835.00

just look at all the bonus content you missed out on by not buying 8200 dollars worth of metazoo bundles!!!

I wonder if the next metazoo offering will be even more outlandishly priced to specifically trap people who see this and go "well I missed out on the insane extras last time, better buy the maximum amount this time so I don't potentially miss out!"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
800 dollars for Rudy sasquatch!
:rubby:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I can't believe how people just love making him even richer and that he won't ever need to sell a single Magic card because of how much he's made off just FAB and MetaZoo in the last six months

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
tinfoil hat: if the game collapses due to blatant cheating destroying any hope of a competitive scene, the people who've already made their money and are facing diminishing returns on the next round of product get to abandon it in disgust and start a new ccg, deflecting any criticism onto the pro players whose fault it is that the bag holders lost everything.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

I get how people can buy into FAB but MetaZoo?? That game looks worse than the poo poo CCGs from the 00's.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Very cool and healthy game here

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

triple sulk posted:

Very cool and healthy game here

Didn't they say they were banning leaders after they win X tournaments? I'm sure that won't cause a lot of people to be pissed for investing in a leader.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

It very well could be a competitive balance issue, but all the sealed product is owned by like 4 people, right? It could just be that there's one competitive deck that's easy enough to put together that it's what everyone tries.

(Sort of like how mono-red does well after big shakeups in M:tG because it tends to be one of the cheaper top tier decks to acquire.)

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with a brand-new game having balance issues. Balancing TCGs is hard.

It's balance issues combined with everything else that's the problem.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Still lolling that cheating was a-okay in that event and their solution is just to say "don't do it again next time"

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Apparently MetaZoo is landing in Walmart next year so we'll get to see if they get hit with the C&D soon from Nintendo.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

And now Arcane Rising is out of print. Arcanite Skullcap is getting a reprint but it's still going to be legendary rarity, so lol at perpetuating the problem

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

triple sulk posted:

Apparently MetaZoo is landing in Walmart next year so we'll get to see if they get hit with the C&D soon from Nintendo.

I don't know what would be weirder - if the scam stuff with the inflated box prices was a weird unintentional coincidence on the way to the creators trying to make a legit (if ugly looking) game, or if they set out to do a scam and it was so successful that they decided to actually market it as a retail product?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Bob Quixote posted:

I don't know what would be weirder - if the scam stuff with the inflated box prices was a weird unintentional coincidence on the way to the creators trying to make a legit (if ugly looking) game, or if they set out to do a scam and it was so successful that they decided to actually market it as a retail product?

Imagine if this was a real game, and there's metagame shifts based on if the tournament venue was close enough to a forest and stuff like that.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lone Goat posted:

Imagine if this was a real game, and there's metagame shifts based on if the tournament venue was close enough to a forest and stuff like that.

God I can't get over how ugly that layout is.

The actual illustration is kinda charming in a way (even if they gave bigfoot two right feet for some reason), but that layout is horrendously cursed.

The card title font is undersized and overly stylized, the way the symbols are scattered around the top and sides of the frame with no indicators of what anything is, no hint of reminder text in sight but space set aside for various sasquatch facts and flavor text... it's breathtaking.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

triple sulk posted:

And now Arcane Rising is out of print. Arcanite Skullcap is getting a reprint but it's still going to be legendary rarity, so lol at perpetuating the problem

Absolutely hilarious to me that a defining feature of this game's business model was supposed to be unlimited reprints and they ditched it the moment it became convenient to do so.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Tarnop posted:

Absolutely hilarious to me that a defining feature of this game's business model was supposed to be unlimited reprints and they ditched it the moment it became convenient to do so.

A few points here:

I think the unlimited terminology was disingenuous or misinterpreted from the get go; unlimited wasn't something they'd print for 10-20 years, but given the game is still supposed to be growing and Arcane Rising still isn't that old a set, it seems a bit goofy to announce it going OOP.

To make matters worse, people are excited about the reprint of Arcanite Skullcap based on the article (with a different set code) but are ignoring the fact that it's still a legendary which means it isn't going to be any cheaper unless far more boxes are opened, and that's still not a guarantee unless the game and market completely die.

They could and should have done the Konami/Yu-GI-Oh approach and downshifted the rarity, but surprise, they did absolutely nothing to differentiate it besides the rarity icon. No new art or anything like that unless it's a mock image no representative of the final product, but I doubt that's the case. Even in Magic you'll often see shifts up or down in rarity but at least the art is different. YGO has the benefit of foil treatments on different rarities too so they'll often upshift rarities in special tin sets and such for players to bling out decks.

Lastly, much with Crucible of War, I think they may realize that the meta is poo poo and most of the cards are generally worth nothing on the secondary market, so they're trying another last gasp boost to value by deeming it out of print. I'm not sure why this happened before WTR other than beyond trying to get fewer new people to play with a Runeblade. I presume this will do the same thing that happened with CRU where you'll see a small bump and then it'll start to bottom out. A lot of people who aren't investors appear pissed off by the poor communication and I suspect they'll go back to Magic or some other game soon enough.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

This game is really good btw

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

ShaneB posted:

This game is really good btw

The collector/speculator/predatory stuff aside (which is legitimately bad, I’m not hand-waving it), I’ve been having boatloads of fun playing games with the local crew that has adopted the game, and several LGS’s here have cooperated to have multiple FAB events every week. Whether it’s destined to die or not, I’m still currently having fun.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I swear, the font on the main card text for cards seems like 1 point smaller than it should be. It’s such a weird feeling.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
i like the art of FaB and would love to support a NZ based company making cool card game, but alas

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

i like the art of FaB and would love to support a NZ based company making cool card game, but alas

Game good.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ShaneB posted:

Game good.

Game dead and only two worthless sets are in print any more

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

triple sulk posted:

Game dead and only two worthless sets are in print any more

I don't see how you can say the game's dead honestly it's firing skirmishes all over the past month. And they have to end printings to do more new sets right?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

ShaneB posted:

Game good.

I don’t wanna play it I wanna get cool art and put it in little sleeves and look at them sometimes

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Fair amount of activity at the booth at eccc. The product looks even worse in person btw.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I honestly think metazoo is so horrid looking it has to be on purpose.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I thought Metazoo was some sort of NFT joke

like... what how why

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I still think it might just be a passion project that got memed into becoming a money making scam after the fact.

I like trying to make card games myself for fun, but since I'm not a multimillion dollar company with a full staff of artists and graphic designers I have to do that stuff myself so they kind of look like total crap objectively speaking.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

ShaneB posted:

I don't see how you can say the game's dead honestly it's firing skirmishes all over the past month. And they have to end printings to do more new sets right?

Why do they have to?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Tarnop posted:

Why do they have to?

Same reason magic doesn't keep old sets in print. Cost benefit analysis and their printers (which do tons of other games, it's not like they just print FAB or nothing) only have so much capacity. To print something new means older stuff getting OOP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

ShaneB posted:

Same reason magic doesn't keep old sets in print. Cost benefit analysis and their printers (which do tons of other games, it's not like they just print FAB or nothing) only have so much capacity. To print something new means older stuff getting OOP.

"because Magic does it" isn't a good reason when, if I want a game with sets that go out of print, I can just play Magic. FAB claimed to be offering something different.