Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Toshimo posted:

Anyone who looked at Magic cutting their Pro Tour and decimating their OP program while growing revenue at record pace for a decade straight and decided to make their business plan the exact opposite is not someone you should ever trust with your money.

Magic did that after the game had blown up though. Cutting their OP program left a big opening in the market and I don't think it's entirely foolhardy for FAB to pounce on that as a selling point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

little munchkin posted:

I agree it looks good as a bullet point or whatever but the reality is your niche ccg startup is not going to have the revenue to support it. If there weren't enough aspiring mtg grinders to make the pro tour a worthy marketing expense, then how is F&B going to land more whales with 1% of the audience.

The question isn't "how can a small game afford OP" it's "was OP important to the success of MTG when it was in its infancy and does it make sense for FAB to make a similar play now that MTG has backed off OP" Even if people aren't buying cards expressly for large tournaments the existence of those tournaments helps advertise and legitimize the game.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

I get how people can buy into FAB but MetaZoo?? That game looks worse than the poo poo CCGs from the 00's.