Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

plainswalker75 posted:

Is pump-and-dump mentality why TCG content creators are constantly putting out content to insist that FaB is a real game and definitely popular? Maybe it's just confirmation bias, but I feel like the only information I ever see is purchasing/finance related or yet another "look how many people are playing this game now, I swear it's a big deal" video.

content creators in general have an incentive to be hyped about whatever the hot new product/topic is. it's a ready-made topic for your video/article/whatever, gives you good seo, and you'll have a better time time building an audience with positivity. plus saying nice things about companies can lead to freebies and special access to stuff (like how wotc gives out card spoilers to people). it's hard to get an honest opinion from someone in the content creation business

also writers for tcgplayer/cfb/scg are often told to write about a new card/set/whatever by the editor, not a conspiracy or anything but the point of an article is to move product, so you don't see many articles recommending that you not buy product

not everyone is a con artist but everyone needs to eat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

lilljonas posted:

The cards posted in this thread are uglier than the first wave of bad Magic ripoffs in the 90’s. Wth are people actually paying money for these crap cards?

well, op, the person who sold them to me said that i could turn around and sell them to someone else for twice as much

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

LeafHouse posted:

Magic did that after the game had blown up though. Cutting their OP program left a big opening in the market and I don't think it's entirely foolhardy for FAB to pounce on that as a selling point.

I agree it looks good as a bullet point or whatever but the reality is your niche ccg startup is not going to have the revenue to support it. If there weren't enough aspiring mtg grinders to make the pro tour a worthy marketing expense, then how is F&B going to land more whales with 1% of the audience.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Randalor posted:

While I fully agree that he should have a ban from his past history in MtG, I think this is the first instance of this happening at a F&B event, and at least they've put him (and the community in general) on notice of what they will and will not allow at their tournaments now from players.

They've definitely put the community on notice that if you cheat, you will receive some stern words from the organizers as they hand you your trophy and prize money.