Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

triple sulk posted:

I get that, and I could be wrong, but I can't imagine as many sponsors for something like a TCG. It's not like PC games where you have a million different companies making computer parts or accessories. With paper TCGs you're more or less limited to sleeves and deck boxes, and I don't see Ultra Pro or Dragon Shield needing to fork out a lot of cash because they own the market and people buy their stuff any way due to so few decent options.

If Magic dies I don't think the TCG industry totally goes, but there won't be as much value in anything. Japanese TCGs will probably stick around with their usual niches if only because of theming, at least.

I spent a year hitting up events in the tri-state area with a group of friends, anyone that qualified for day 2 typically received an offer of $250-800 bucks (depending on size of event and placement) to wear a branded shirt just in case they got a spotlight match.

I can definitely see someone that hit up as many events as possible, and was known to consistently hit high ranking, having enough clout to work out better standing deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU