Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I got into FAB a few monthes back and only recently started playing locally, but we've always had a decent turnout at the local events. Thankfully, my FLGS has been selling stuff at MSRP and not at $300+ for 1st edition like one store in the city. I'm not going to fault the game itself for people being scummy resellers, just look at what happened with Pokemon during the same time period and what's going on with the Celebrations sets.

As far as CRU going out of print, they have also said the next set is an arsenal set like CRU, so hopefully it's just a case of "we're retiring CRU, taking out the cards people don't care about and putting in more reprints people want/need" and giving some more heroes to the classes that have no love (seriously, why the hell was the newest Runeblade a Runeblade?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

LaSquida posted:

Wait, can you really not use that card...

While wearing pants?

Clearly the winning strategy is to start wearing kilts.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Toshimo posted:

F&B and Metazoo are 100% grifts and nobody should buy them, but that video is worthless clickbait.

Eh, at least F&B is a fun game to play.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

little munchkin posted:

I agree it looks good as a bullet point or whatever but the reality is your niche ccg startup is not going to have the revenue to support it. If there weren't enough aspiring mtg grinders to make the pro tour a worthy marketing expense, then how is F&B going to land more whales with 1% of the audience.

Honest question, what exactly would you do in LSS's situation? Considering that OP also covered things like "providing prize support for FLGS events" and small store tournaments like that are how you build up local player bases. While I don't like LSS associating with Rudy early on, it made sense for a small game company to promote their game, and at least the promo card they made for him was an obvious joke.

The final match of the tournament was dumb, but from what I understand, it was more the one player was being an rear end in a top hat about the rules and kept borderline cheating rather than players making mistakes (which at least is understandable at the end of a tournament when you're tired and mentally exhausted). I mean, at least it's not to the level of Magic's "Saying you're going to combat means you miss all of your "At start of combat triggers" ruling a few years back.

MetaZoo on the other hand... yup, still certain that's just a gimmick rather than an actual game. You play it a few times, giggle at the silly cards, then never touch it again.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

ilmucche posted:

How do you borderline cheat? Angle shooting as gently caress?

I thought fab was a one card per player alternating game, how do you cheat that?

I haven't seen the game in question, but apparently Foulkes was doing things like playing with the die he was using as a counter on a card on his opponents turn, and when he realized he missed putting counters on cards, he would add the counters without asking/notifying his opponent. Stuff like that that, in small-scale local event, your opponent would PROBABLY be fine with you going back and changing things if it didn't affect the turn (the Spring Tunic, for example, requires 3 tokens that get added one-a-turn to be able to use its effect. After a long day at a tournament, it's easy to overlook adding the counter at the start of each turn, and if it's turn 1 or 2, it literally doesn't change anything)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

Organized Play, basically a structure for a professional tour/eSports system

Be fair, it also covers smaller-scale events like in-store play and small tournaments. It's not just for the pro tour and export group.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

LSS's rules committee released their findings on the Nationals tournament.

The TL;DR is that Foulkes was issued a Formal Warning for, as I chose to interpret the wording, "Being a dick". Basically, Round 1, he missed a trigger that put a token into play and discreetly put it into play without saying anything. Literally next turn, his opponent missed a similar trigger that put a different token into play, asked Foulkes if he could add it after the fact, and Foulkes called a judge on him. The misplays are a "Eh, people make mistakes" situation, which is fair, I think (they even say "ask any player and they can probsbly list at least 1 misplay they made in a tournament setting). People aren't beep-boop robots that can keep track of everything going on, especially in a tournament setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

Discreetly putting it in into play and then not letting the opponent do the same is literally cheating. Yes the game might be complicated but if you have a habit of making beneficial whoopsies on your own stuff but have an eagle eye on when your opponent goofs, it's suspicious as hell.

I'd be incredibly leery of getting involved in this game if poo poo likes this can fly. Especially when it's a known sketchbag that's banned from playing another competitive CCG. Just make an example of this clown, he won't be missed.

While I fully agree that he should have a ban from his past history in MtG, I think this is the first instance of this happening at a F&B event, and at least they've put him (and the community in general) on notice of what they will and will not allow at their tournaments now from players. He tried to do the poo poo that (from what I understand) normally happens at the Pro level MTG events (see my previous point of "A player said he was going to combat, which in the rules is shorthand for "I'm going directly to the Declare Attackers" step, he tried to use his "At start of combat" and instant-speed triggers, his opponent called the judge and the judge told him that he wasn't allowed trigger any of his instant-speed or "At start of combat" triggers. Because he said he was going to combat." BS), and LSS has firmly come down on the "The game is complicated and people make mistakes, if you want to be able to fix your mistakes, let your opponent fix theirs" side of the matter.

I can understand giving him a warning instead of a ban just because the game is relatively young and they want to encourage people to attend events, rather than being an oppressive "You cannot make mistakes ever" type of deal. If he continues this poo poo and they keep handling him with kid gloves, then you can break out the pitchforks and torches.