Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Why is Crucible OoP? I thought they were keeping Unlimited runs going in perpetuity (of course they aren't).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

shimmy shimmy posted:

I mean, I think that would own. They should definitely do that.

This is a good stance if your intent is to kill the game.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DalaranJ posted:

Is this all being done by Rudy-likes or are there other groups involved as well.

#mtgfinance is a combination of Rudy-likes and the reddit dudes who went all-in on "the next Gamestop stock". It's also backed by certain business owners/content creators (notably SaffronOlive, who for some idiot poo poo reason is a pet darling in the MtG community, despite being both scummy and insufferable).

The big bubble to burst them all was when SaffronOlive put out a cash bounty on a fake up-and-coming deck, all the idiots went all-in and spiked a garbage rare like 10,000%, it turned out to be a nothingburger, and people were all crying for months about how "it could have been a thing" and were left holding the bag. Did SaffronOlive get slapped down for generating fake hype so his buddies could cash in on a fake deck? Nope. Will all this happen again and again? Yep.

It's largely down to the American mentality that we're all just temporarily impoverished millionaires and that we're also smarter than the rest of the dummies, so we just need to call our shot and hit it big on one of these spikes and we can finally retire pay off the credit card debt from all our other failed schemes.

DalaranJ posted:

For instance, I know that last year there were a bunch of cases of video creators cracking packs of Pokémon as video content. Is that sort of distinction even meaningful?

Pack cracking is just people at home living vicariously through the content creators without dumping money on packs. Same endorphin rush, no out-of-pocket cost. It generates a MASSIVE amount of views so a lot of content creators spend time doing it. It's basically win-win. Viewers are happy, content creators get paid, nobody gets hurt.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

When did that happen?

October 2017. https://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2017/10/pirate-stompy-controversy/

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Balon posted:

My friends at The Spike Feeders have a channel doing well produced FAB gameplay. Plus today you get to see my ugly mug!

https://youtu.be/fCF_UvdTUdo

That's unfortunate. I used to like their content.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
All else aside, LSS has effectively paid Rudy $1,400,000 in one instance to promote their game. That's not a "gift" or "thank you". It's quid pro quo. It's income. That's on top of the special sweetheart deals they gave him on all the other stuff he's pumped and dumped.

There's probably even a legal argument to be made at this point that Rudy is a contractor for them in some respects.

Everything Rudy does for FAB/LSS at this point should have disclaimers. He's directly being paid for his PR efforts. He has been the entire time, by their acknowledgement.

They've gone full mask-off with this grift and in a sane world, this would be the thing to torpedo the entire game.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
F&B and Metazoo are 100% grifts and nobody should buy them, but that video is worthless clickbait.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

triple sulk posted:

This isn't the first time as something happened in one of the other recent tournaments on stream and IIRC the same person won the entire thing.

From what I can tell the major tournaments in the US are getting fewer and fewer people and the prizes are garbage. 1st place in the national championship gets a whopping $1500.

They are deliberately hiding the prize payouts for the National championships. It's supposed to have a total pool of $50,000, which extrapolated from their $10,000 "The Calling" Pool is probably in the neighborhood of $5,000 or so for first. However the real value is getting paid in cold foil promos company scrip to do some premium tax evasion.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

triple sulk posted:

The UK stream showed $1500 for first place and $1000 for the runner up, but either way and to your point they're probably assuming that the gold cold foils are somehow worth another ten grand or something on the secondary market.

Correct. The UK prize pool was only $10k. I believe under their Pro Tour plan, qualified individuals also get a $500 appearance fee regardless of placement.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Anyone who looked at Magic cutting their Pro Tour and decimating their OP program while growing revenue at record pace for a decade straight and decided to make their business plan the exact opposite is not someone you should ever trust with your money.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

triple sulk posted:

My long running assumption has been that the second any actual growth occurs for the game, Nintendo/The Pokemon Company send a C&D and everything gets shut down instantly.

Nah. The game's more YGO than Pokemon.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Drowning Rabbit posted:

So I just got lost in this discussion here. What is this initialism for OP program?

Organized Play - Tournaments/Judging

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Nah that was part of growth of competitive magic too. Someone just needs to step up and be the Chris Pikula of F&B.

Repeating all the mistakes your competitors made decades ago and relying on the community to fix it is not the best business plan.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Covermeinsunshine posted:

I honestly don't understand what is their line of thinking here. Do they think no one will notice that you can get away with blantant cheating? Do they think tey can afford more bad rap then game already has?

You misunderstand. They think the game has a great rep.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tarnop posted:

"because Magic does it" isn't a good reason when, if I want a game with sets that go out of print, I can just play Magic. FAB claimed to be offering something different.

You have successfully identified A Scam.

Well done.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Just a heads up, there's a lot of logistics with running a randomly collated print line with multiple print types (foils,etc.) and multiple collation steps (rarity sheets->pack distribution->boxing), especially if you want boxes not to be easily mappable.

Fixed LCG product is closer to an UNO deck than a pack of FAB/MtG, and comparing the two equally illustrates a fundamental misunderstanding of all of the attendant processes.

This is also why you don't "just swap in a print run". It's costly, and sometimes, you can't just get on-demand service because the printer has other jobs.

All that said, yes FAB is dumb as poo poo and probably lied (or was at least incredibly misleading) in their marketing. This is why anyone who understands any of the business side of this has been pointing out the red flags since day 1.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Finster Dexter posted:

Is it accurate to say that they are just trying to put EVERY card on the "reserved list" since that seems to be one (of many) driver of investment value in the MTG secondary market?

Every word of this is wrong on some level. What are you even talking about?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Magnetic North posted:

(I re-read this run-on sentence several times and I'm afraid it sounds like I'm criticizing you. I am not; this is purely directed at WotC.)

I can't imagine why that might be. Could it be the massive focus on Arena with its abusive storefront and this cockamamie Alchemy where it is no longer the place to play actual loving Magic but this Magic-adjacent game like Acclaim's Battlemage, or the naked avarice and the oversaturation of promotional products mostly targeting primarily non-competitive EDH players crowding out a huge amount of the mindshare, or the overpowered cards to drive hype causing negative play experiences coupled with the lumbering ponderous responses to problem cards as though metas develop slowly and covertly like it's 1997, or just the explicit abandonment of the pro scene thereby undermining everyone's ability to sincerely commit to the game as a serious hardcore endeavor at a time worthy of your attention instead of a dumb game for babby, all occurring while Magic is making their most money in the history of loving forever so we know they have the resources to fix these issues but they just loving don't because Papa Hasbro needs to wring every last wretched drop from their player base?

Sell your shitcards, kiddos. Just don't use the money to buy Metazoo. Buy something worthy of your time.

lmao source your quotes

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

triple sulk posted:

It looks like the all-time Magic earnings leader is at a million dollars or so, but it drops off heavily and by #20 there's 2-3 years' salary for someone who wants to be able to live in some of the most expensive parts of the US. The whole concept of being a "pro" at these games seems shortsighted at best and I get why WOTC has basically dropped it.

Much like eSports, the idea is that you supplement your meager cash winnings with sponsorships. So, the "earnings" isn't actually that relevant. (BTW, that's how a lot of competitive sport/game industries work)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ultiville posted:

I own an LGS, I’m with you on MTG’s trajectory being worrying.

But I’m pretty sure when it dies, it won’t be another paper CCG that captures most of that market share.

When it dies, how much of the rest of the industry tanks with it?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

triple sulk posted:

I get that, and I could be wrong, but I can't imagine as many sponsors for something like a TCG. It's not like PC games where you have a million different companies making computer parts or accessories. With paper TCGs you're more or less limited to sleeves and deck boxes, and I don't see Ultra Pro or Dragon Shield needing to fork out a lot of cash because they own the market and people buy their stuff any way due to so few decent options.

The sleeve/deckbox/playmat companies do, in fact, shell out a noticeable amount. Almost every pro was associated with some sales site, as well. And that was before digital. Now, the streamers are hawking gaming chairs, VPN, and all the same thing the PC Gamers are doing. Ad revenue from YouTube is also a big factor now. This is basically why CFB Premium had to die. Why ever pay for content when you can get all the same content through streams for free?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

neaden posted:

Kibler went into some detail about why writing for magic sites was relatively lucrative compared to online ccgs when discussing SCG earlier https://twitter.com/bmkibler/status/1486354160886841345?s=20

Yeah, all of this really tracks with what I've seen over the years.