Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Peeps seem to be liking this game, so I picked up some Monarch Blitz decks and... MAN does FAB seem super wordy most cards.

Maybe it's like the small font they use or something?

I'm no WOTC apologist or anything (I happily never play another game of that ever in my life), but it's a real testament to how legible Magic seems to be after all of these years. Even wordy as gently caress cards as theirs don't seem to be as tiny-text feeling as FAB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I swear, the font on the main card text for cards seems like 1 point smaller than it should be. It’s such a weird feeling.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I thought Metazoo was some sort of NFT joke

like... what how why

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The problem with LCGs is that once you have like the 'complete set' of like 3x per card, there is no fukken other reason to have more.

It makes draft things completely pointless, due to the lack of rarity of cards. Or like sealed as a format or something.

But like, the moment you copy and paste a deck list into Jinteki.net for free, the even artificial forced scarcity of online versions of card games will seem loving ridiculous.

Plus, gently caress it. Proxy everything. gently caress rarities. Let poo poo be just for people who want to pointlessly bling out their poo poo.

EDIT - *COMPETITIVE LCGs. Co-op model is amazing, especially how Arkham is setup, with its XP system of upgradable cards, or also how the packs themselves only have like 10% of new player cards, and how scenario cards can be completely game breaking but only last for that expansion/pack.

Netrunner having 20 new player cards per pack coming out like every month meant... a lot of lovely cards. Especially with no rarity, once a card is a straight upgrade of another card, there was no reason to run the old one.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 6, 2021

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It is pretty neat to see Netrunner continue via the fan-run NISEI project. With the constant drive for corporate profit of constant releases out of the picture, they can do a much slower release of a smaller card pool at once. Less chaff cards, mostly due to lack of “we need 20 cards per pack per month to be released regardless of if only 1 is good.”

I know not having corporate backing and only
like one release a year has kind of killed Netrunner from most competitive players’ minds, but what NISEI is doing has been pretty cool so far, in my opinion.

Much like the new release model for Arkham, I’d much rather just buy it all at once for a year than deal with small packs.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Magnetic North posted:

Once a year might be a little meager to keep the interest up. Magic probably has the right idea with sets every 3-4 months... at least, back in the before times when you actually had a loving break between product announcements and releases. Who knows, maybe in the world of instant gratification and social media that might just be outmoded.
I know NISEI's current one release a year is a really hard way to keep interest up, but it's really amazing what a fan-based project has been able to pull off in that regard, in general. NISEI's System Gateway was probably the best intro product I've ever seen for any card game, ever.

Plus that month or so after NISEI's recent March release when interest was up, oh man, it was :chefkiss: It felt almost like FFG-era times.

As for Magic, I think WOTC is now up to 5 major releases a year, not counting the 'modern masters' bullshit or the extreme lol of their 45+ "Secret Lair" stuff, including the "INFINITE WORLDS!" Walking Dead, Lord of the Rings, Warhammer, etc cash ins.

Magic certainly has 'the right idea' when it comes to milking their fanbase out of every last cent, but I don't think their idea is really the best example to use.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 7, 2021

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Oh laff, I didn't notice that this company announced another of their expansions is now "out of print" as well, the Welcome to Rathe set.

They definitely didn't do a good job of explaining how "unlimited" was meant to work, especially since apparently a lot class cards only come from certain expansions?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The whole "First Edition" versus "Unlimited" is pretty laff when apparently the Unlimited is just a few print runs longer or something?

They poorly communicated that "Unlimited" meant like, print on demand when stock is low or something. Not "lolol we're out of this one its ~gone forever~!!!!" They could have easily been up front with "Unlimited means it will be printed for 2 years, or the oldest/1st set will rotate out of unlimited when the 8th expansion comes out" or something. But nope.

Why even bother with differentiating the two? Besides just like getting people to hand over their cash for FOMO chance of the random EVEN RARER class of foils poo poo from First Edition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It just seems incredibly disingenuous that they didn't more clearly expound on just what the difference between "First Edition" and "Unlimited" if one is just a slightly longer print run?

It seems more like an unhanded cash grab to trigger FOMO in people about ~COLD FOILS~ in an audience that is already prone to addition and gambling on the loot boxes that are buying sealed packs/boxes/ENTIRE CASES OF BOXES.