Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Empty Pockets posted:

It’s definitely not minty, I ended up negotiating with the seller based on HP condition due to a small bend and a spot where a grain of sand or something indented pretty far but I’m satisfied overall.

Looks pretty good for the age. The border is still pretty dark. Go forth and hoard that reserved list bullion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008

Magnetic North posted:

Looks pretty good for the age. The border is still pretty dark. Go forth and hoard that reserved list bullion.

I plan to, right after I put it in my OG Bolas deck to stunt on the poors this Sunday at our LGS’s commander day .

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Empty Pockets posted:

I plan to, right after I put it in my OG Bolas deck to stunt on the poors this Sunday at our LGS’s commander day .

:hmmyes: The poors are gonna Chaos Confetti you.

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008

Magnetic North posted:

:hmmyes: The poors are gonna Chaos Confetti you.

If it’s anything like most weeks the poors will send me home roughly 0 and 4 but if I get to cast it at least I’ll have that.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
I have a personalized thallid thingy from fallen empires signed by Richard Garfield.... Y'all think that's worth anything?

no_tears
Dec 20, 2020

Bing Bong
Is pack re-sealing as bad as people on Amazon and the like say it is? Don't really have any card shops around me and the major retail stores nearby don't have anything in stock.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

no_tears posted:

Is pack re-sealing as bad as people on Amazon and the like say it is? Don't really have any card shops around me and the major retail stores nearby don't have anything in stock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFl8i6tcIw4

Prof put up a video a few weeks back where he was a victim of it. Can't say how common it is, but I gotta imagine it's pretty common because Amazon gives no fucks.

Besides, it's virtually always more economical to buy singles if you want cards.

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008
Yeah I personally wouldn’t buy sealed boxes in Amazon, especially when you can get decent deals on ebay or some of the larger websites like D&A card world or such from reputable, established sellers.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Lead By Example posted:

I got these in a few months ago. I've always been more of a Pokemon guy, but I figure this makes the cut. I'm probably going to have to sell it eventually, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts :allears:

Complete set of the alternate art Planeswalkers from War of the Spark, all in Pre-Release printing.

I love that the lili is just worth 100x what the rest of them are

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Legendary Artifact Creature - Android

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I like how the difference between his integrity and his cunning was probably decided upon based on that one episode where the art collector tries to kidnap him, Data decides to kill that guy but gets beamed out before the phaser begins firing, and Riker asks him, "So hey, uh, the transporter logs show that phaser might have been in the middle of charging up to fire at full power, you weren't killing somebody, were you?" And Data's like, "Must be a glitch."

I was scared of Data after that.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
this just makes me sad about all the stuff I've sold for peanuts and what it's worth now

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Brolander posted:

this just makes me sad about all the stuff I've sold for peanuts and what it's worth now

I've seen this sentiment in a few places, and I've been trying to help ward off the FOMO from others. There are so many collectibles that people buy that end up being completely loving worthless. Collector's Edition video games with tote bags or statues, beanie babies, what have you. Getting lucky on bitcoin or Magic cards actually gaining value is the vanishingly small exception. Don't let the FOMO compel you into jumping on the next bandwagon and lose money. It's essentially a lottery, and one that you have to get in on early before you even know the odds.

When you look at the rising price of something, behavioral economics says you need to ask yourself, "Would I buy more at the current price?" If the answer is "No" then you should sell the investment. By that logic, if you would not have opted to buy another Mox at $150 in the late 90s or whatever, then you made the correct call by selling it. This applies to anything that has recently gone up in price, be it Bitcoins or Tesla stock.

Also, consider that the massive inflation of MTG prices is mostly controlled by a single party: Wizards of the Coast. They have a business policy (the Reserved List) that Wizards will not increase the supply of certain cards, which increases the price of those still in demand. If they were to ever revoke on that policy, the prices would immediately crater. To be fair, they are incredibly unlikely to do that, but it's an idiosyncratic risk to holding that asset that is almost certainly not priced in.

This following point is a practical one that applies to bitcoin too: if you had a card that went from $10 to $600, how confident are you that you would not have sold it when it $100? At the time, that would have seen like a ludicrous price and there's no way it could keep going up. Even if you think you're DiamondHands, consider whether your investment would have continued to be physically safe from a house flood or fire for the 20 years it takes to gain that value. (In Bitcoin, this is an exchange like Mtgox getting hacked.) There is no guarantee of that, especially considering how delicate they are compared to something like a metal coin or an arrowhead or something.

Finally, was it peanuts? Without knowing the particulars, all I can say is to consider the time value of money and inflation. It means that money now is worth more than money later. Even if you completely squandered your MTG gains on hamburgers or something, that doesn't make the return you got any better or worse. You'd have to compare it to the average stock returns over that time period, which normally hover around 6-8% annually if I recall correctly.

Buy Magic cards because you want them for their own sake, either as game pieces or because owning it makes you happy. Don't buy them as an investment.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Magnetic North posted:

I've seen this sentiment in a few places, and I've been trying to help ward off the FOMO from others. There are so many collectibles that people buy that end up being completely loving worthless. Collector's Edition video games with tote bags or statues, beanie babies, what have you. Getting lucky on bitcoin or Magic cards actually gaining value is the vanishingly small exception. Don't let the FOMO compel you into jumping on the next bandwagon and lose money. It's essentially a lottery, and one that you have to get in on early before you even know the odds.
Buy Magic cards because you want them for their own sake, either as game pieces or because owning it makes you happy. Don't buy them as an investment.

Yeah, I have to keep reminding myself of this as a new player too. I just started playing recently and the most valuable card I have is a Windswept Heath, and not even its Onslaught print. It's the one from Khans of Tarkir. Rarity of a collectible is also really hard to judge at times. My most valuable video game is some random Bomberman game for N64 that I probably got as a Christmas gift as a kid, and now it's worth around $800. There's absolutely no way anyone would've predicted it being that valuable these days. So, I'm just having fun with my Magic collection, and my video games, because it does me little good to regret not doing a thing years ago that I never would've planned to do.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Magnetic North posted:

Also, consider that the massive inflation of MTG prices is mostly controlled by a single party: Wizards of the Coast. They have a business policy (the Reserved List) that Wizards will not increase the supply of certain cards, which increases the price of those still in demand. If they were to ever revoke on that policy, the prices would immediately crater.

Something I have to correct here....

We have had massive reprint sets in recent years, which WotC had resisted for decades since Chronicles. In each case, the cards reprinted were obviously not Reserved List, and we now have a plethora of price history data to observe the impact of reprints.

In almost every single case, the cards that were reprinted did not immediately crater. Some have come down to sane but still expensive prices, but it's hard to control for changes in play frequency.

Example: Tarmogoyf, originally incredibly low supply from Future Sight, was a staple of the original Modern format but is now sitting at the 25th most played creature in the format. Prior to the first Modern Masters set, it was one of the notorious examples used by people complaining that the format was too expensive; it sat at $110 prior to its first reprinting in early 2013. Then what happened....

It got more expensive immediately following its first increase in supply in a decade, the exact opposite of what doomsayers were crying would happen, destroying the value of their "investments". Turns out a vast increase in demand for the format more than offset the increase in supply. In fact, this easily-reprintable, non-RL card continued to go up in price right up until Eternal Masters in 2016, which is where it started to fall out of favor in Modern as creature power creep hit hard and it was simply outclassed by more modern creatures (Jund has basically shed its staple 2-drops in Tarmogoyf and Dark Confidant in favor of Dauthi Voidwalker or the overly pushed 2-mana planeswalker Wrenn and Six).

But that's the original printing, with its unique art (and frame, for FUT). What about the reprint equivalent? Same thing, just slightly lower price. FUT goyf is $55 today, with the original MMA reprint sitting at $35. Still fairly expensive, but not what it used to be. All reprinting this card (not once but five times) did was return its price to a somewhat sane level....which may or may not have just been due to its falling out of favor in the last 5 years. Despite that volume of reprinting and decrease in play, it's still a $55 card.

This brings us to my next favorite point as to why the RL abolishment wouldn't do anything significant: Never underestimate the value of hipsters and conspicuous consumption.

People always point to the original dual lands when talking about reprinting RL cards and reinvigorating Legacy and Vintage. Let's look at a comparable situation of a far more prevalent land staple: Fetchlands, originally introduced in Onslaught. These are even more played than the OG duals; a lot of Legacy decks will play full playsets of multiple fetches, but only 1 or 2 of each original dual land. They're also mandatory in Modern and in high demand in Commander.

The original fetches from ONS were reprinted....not in a limited "____ Masters" set, but in a Standard-legal, unlimited print run set with Tarkir block in late 2014. What happened....

The price dropped, but only back to its pre-Modern-boom level. This is an extreme example, since Standard-legal sets can be reprinted to fill demand while that set is current. A metric fuckton of Khans was opened because of people wanting to open a fetchland golden ticket....and still the original printing held strong at $50.

But the real point of this example? The price of the reprint:

It follows a similar trajectory, but is less than half the price of the ONS printing.

There is value in the original printings that reprints can't take away. There is unique art, there is the old frame; these are instantly-recognizable designs that are far more noticeable than just a different set symbol on an otherwise-identical card.

The same can be seen with a more modern card, Thoughtseize. It was reprinted (also in Standard) in Theros with way different art but the same frame. Still, the original art is valued more highly by collectors. I won't even get into foil prices, where original printing foils are utterly insane (I was looking to upgrade my ONS fetchlands to match my new reprint retro frame ZEN fetchlands from Modern Horizons 2, but those things are over $1000 now...each).

The one thing that would suffer from the RL being abolished: RL cards that are insanely overpriced only because of the RL. I'm talking things that don't see play in any format anywhere, they've simply been bought out by #mtgfinance shitlords who jacked up the price because gently caress you, they control the entire supply now.

Cards that are actually played I predict would follow the trajectory of Tarmogoyf and increase in value as Legacy becomes more accessible and is revivified by more players coming in. The value in owning the original, not one of the cheaper reprints, would sustain people's "investments" in RL cards that actually deserve their price tags. If you "invested" in $500 Elephant Graveyards from Arabian Nights and that craters to $50 (as it should because no one plays that card and never has), I have no sympathy for your "loss" (not even getting into people who treat nebulous value as cash in their pocket, most people who oppose the RL abolition had those $50 copies jump to $500 so they aren't actually losing anything, they're just going back to baseline).

The Power Nine would be completely unaffected, especially if WotC doesn't reprint them. I predict if they ever did abandon the RL, they'd reprint with Legacy in mind, not Vintage, which was already a dead format before prices went through the roof. It's a vestigial format that they will continue to ignore, and I'm ok with that. That said, even if they did reprint them, the value of the P9 isn't from Vintage playability, it's from collectibility. I wouldn't lose a cent from my graded slabs on a reprint, especially if they are smart about reprinting and use new art and new frame (I do like bringing back the "retro" frame in Masters sets lately, but reprinting using that frame with high enough supply would be a step toward cancelling out the hipster value of the originals).

Speaking as someone with a set of original duals in my cube, some Legacy decks, and a set of graded power on my wall....abolish the loving Reserve List. Let the assholes LARPing as cardboard stockbrokers cry about it (then realize very little value actually gets lost) and the rest of us will look forward to Legacy being revived and Commander being less expensive.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Strongly agree with your last sentence there.

I mentioned before that I was slowly working on full sets, but I knew full well that I'd never complete a set of Alpha unless I won the drat lotto, and I don't play the lotto. Even reprints wouldn't change that, and that's fine. What I WOULD be able to do is actually build a powerful cube or legacy deck, which I just cannot justify doing with how little I'm able to play these days (which itself is in small part due to not having a deck to play those formats... quite the cycle.)

I 100% don't anticipate them ever ditching the RL unless the game is dying and they want a last-minute burst of cash before they shutter it. At best, they could expand Arena to include digital versions of the cards, but given how little they seem to want to add old cards, I doubt that too.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Something I have to correct here....

We have had massive reprint sets in recent years, which WotC had resisted for decades since Chronicles. In each case, the cards reprinted were obviously not Reserved List, and we now have a plethora of price history data to observe the impact of reprints.

In almost every single case, the cards that were reprinted did not immediately crater. Some have come down to sane but still expensive prices, but it's hard to control for changes in play frequency.

In my post, I did not make this terribly clear, but I was not honestly imagining that the mere supply of new cards would cause the price to drop precipitously unless they absolutely printed it into the ground or something. Rather, I was more thinking that simply by making that announcement that the Reserved List is ending, before any ink hits cardboard to print a new power nine, you'd have the double-whammy of damaged collector confidence reducing available buyers and a market flooded with cards as others liquidate their collections to try and lock in the value before it drops more, causing a cycle of losses like any good market crisis. But maybe this is different?

And yeah, let them cry.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Abolish the reserve list.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

...yeah, i'm just mad I sold a stack of rares to the town bookie/card shop guy for like a hundred bucks that included 4 foil german ports, italian moat, etc. so I could buy weed and beer. And it wasn't like I was ignorant, I built my collection trading on #mtgtrade and MOTL trading for value. I was just stupid and wanted drugs

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I collect Chandra Nalaar cards - basically anything with her in the artwork. As far as I’m aware I have pretty much everything. I think she’s a neat character and I like her design.

I don’t really play Magic (although I did wayyyyyyyyyy back when I was in elementary school and the Ice Age expansion was new, and maybe one or two expansions after that).
I’ve contemplated trying to make a Chandra-centric deck if I wanted to get back into the game though, I think that could be kind of neat.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There was a Chandra tribal deck a standard or two ago. It was pretty funny, you'd have 3 or so chandras on the field at once sometimes.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Xenomrph posted:

I collect Chandra Nalaar cards - basically anything with her in the artwork. As far as I’m aware I have pretty much everything. I think she’s a neat character and I like her design.

I don’t really play Magic (although I did wayyyyyyyyyy back when I was in elementary school and the Ice Age expansion was new, and maybe one or two expansions after that).
I’ve contemplated trying to make a Chandra-centric deck if I wanted to get back into the game though, I think that could be kind of neat.

Chandra rules, I use her as my avatar on Arena. Do you have the new Chandra from Crimson Vow yet? There’s two variations with different art

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Chandra rules, I use her as my avatar on Arena. Do you have the new Chandra from Crimson Vow yet? There’s two variations with different art
Is that Dressed to Kill? yes I have both.

If you (or anyone) knows of cards with Chandra art I might have missed (non-red cards, artifacts, stuff that doesn’t have her name in the title of the card), let me know! Just yesterday I learned about Deadlock Trap and Furious Reprisal.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Xenomrph posted:

If you (or anyone) knows of cards with Chandra art I might have missed (non-red cards, artifacts, stuff that doesn’t have her name in the title of the card), let me know! Just yesterday I learned about Deadlock Trap and Furious Reprisal.

Light Up The Night was just released in the summer set as well.

Scryfall could be really helpful as it can search all the main text of the cards and shows alternate printings as well.

Edit:

Oh snap, I didn't know it could do that; that's probably a much better search for Xenomrph to use
VVVVVVVVVV

plainswalker75 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 18, 2021

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
https://scryfall.com/search?q=art%3Achandra&unique=art&as=grid&order=name

Scryfall can also search for art that contains Chandra. IDK if the lore search also does this.

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib

Xenomrph posted:

If you're into artist signs, I have 3 Lorwyn artist sign foil Chandra Nalaar I could trade / sell

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lead By Example posted:

If you're into artist signs, I have 3 Lorwyn artist sign foil Chandra Nalaar I could trade / sell
I don’t know what an artist sign is, am I an idiot?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The March Hare posted:

https://scryfall.com/search?q=art%3Achandra&unique=art&as=grid&order=name

Scryfall can also search for art that contains Chandra. IDK if the lore search also does this.

plainswalker75 posted:

Light Up The Night was just released in the summer set as well.

Scryfall could be really helpful as it can search all the main text of the cards and shows alternate printings as well.

Edit:

Oh snap, I didn't know it could do that; that's probably a much better search for Xenomrph to use
VVVVVVVVVV

Both of these were incredibly useful, thank you! Turns out I was missing a bunch. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's likely where an artist has signed a card that they drew the art for

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

its still super funny to think about being 10 and playing with unsleeved dual lands and moxes and poo poo

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

The March Hare posted:

Abolish the reserve list.

I've banged my hand on my monitor twice reaching for the cards in this picture.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Thanks for collecting! I doubt this thread will get much traffic at this point, but I'll leave it open and have requested a mod change its name to make it a bit clearer.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Maybe this should just be the " pack crackin' " thread for people to post their hauls from now on or something

For any card game, not just magic

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'd be happy for this thread to stick around. I don't play or collect much but because I've been working for a small shop selling cards on TCG this year my interest in Magic (and Pokemon and Yugioh) has spiked more than ever before. For one, I actually bought Magic cards for the first time. Having a relatively casual thread to browse and be wowed by cool pulls or old collections people here have is nice. I really enjoyed the collectibles forum for that reason, and if we can keep this thread going in that manner I'd really enjoy it.

So, in that spirit, here are some fun pulls of mine this year! I didn't buy any of the new innistrad sets, but I did buy some MH2 and AFR packs, including an AFR gift box with a collector booster in it.

Endurance, Sword of Hearth and Home (Retro frame), Lair of the Hydra, Teleportation Circle (Foil), Hand of Vecna (Foil), The Underworld Cookbook (Foil, Retro frame), Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth, Inferno of the Star Mounts (Foil), Wizard's Spellbook (Foil, Borderless), and +2 Mace (Foil).

Yavimaya actually inspired me to try building my first commander deck, and I've settled on a creature heavy white/green deck with this guy as my Commander. We'll see how it goes! Gonna hopefully play my friend with it tomorrow and test it out for the first time!

Usefulness or rarity of the cards doesn't necessarily matter to me here, I just like a lot of them (although I know Endurance is like a $35 card, so you bet it ended up in my deck). Case in point, the +2 Mace is there because I love the foiling on it!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Welcome to Trad Games, thread! I've updated the title of this thread to make it make sense in its new forum home, hopefully.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
So I decided to get some trading cards because why the gently caress not, right? Never had em as a kid and want some cool art and stuff

Then I decided yeah I like the Pokémon stuff, but I kinda wanna get a collection of more weird Japanese stuff. So I ordered a box of Gate Ruler that should be here soon, and will probably be the only Japanese language box of it in the country.

Anyone got any more recommendations for stuff, and keep in mind I am in NZ so getting it locally is impossible so need places I can order from that ship internationally.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Nothing specific from me but Pokemon stuff is pretty fun to open because there's so many variants of all of the different cards. They're not all valuable, but if you're just looking for cool looking trading cards it's great.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Anyone ever have or still have some old-school Doomtown cards? Back in middle and high school I was in a group of four people that played, and over the years two of the guys drifted away, and while I'm still good friends with the fourth (who still has his cards) we never really get a chance to play.

I probably have around 2,500 of them, with maybe like a 90-95% completion of cards printed. Every now and then I'll check eBay for some cards I don't have even though I'll probably never play with them, though at this point the cards I'm missing all go for $15+ each so I only ever get 1 or two at a time.

If anyone is interested I can post some pics of my stuff, including the few rare/chase cards I own.

If any of y'all have a Start Again you're willing to part with, PM me :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

TipTow posted:

Anyone ever have or still have some old-school Doomtown cards? Back in middle and high school I was in a group of four people that played, and over the years two of the guys drifted away, and while I'm still good friends with the fourth (who still has his cards) we never really get a chance to play.

I probably have around 2,500 of them, with maybe like a 90-95% completion of cards printed. Every now and then I'll check eBay for some cards I don't have even though I'll probably never play with them, though at this point the cards I'm missing all go for $15+ each so I only ever get 1 or two at a time.

If anyone is interested I can post some pics of my stuff, including the few rare/chase cards I own.

If any of y'all have a Start Again you're willing to part with, PM me :)

Honestly I think it would be cool generally to see more collections posted ITT!