Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

My grandpa was a hobby collector and gemcutter for much of his life, I’ll post some stuff he gave me when I can.

In true old man fashion barely any of it was ever labeled though :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Any of y’all collect yourselves? Is there even any place to do that on public land anymore?

As a kid reading my grandpa’s rock & gem issues even then the tone was kinda wistful when it came to finding stuff in mine tailings and going looking for things.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Scarodactyl posted:

LI've found some interesting things in my area at times though (central NC), agates, hematite, pyrite, magnetite, nothing too insane but fun stuff and occasionally things good for lapidary work.

There’s way more interesting stuff going on in central and western NC than I realized when I was growing up there. Like I knew the Appalachians held some mining but iirc there was even stuff down in McDowell Co at one time.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

My plan for all the enormous (foundation scrap) sandstone blocks coming up in my yard is to stand them up in the front yard, do that with it