Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Memento posted:

This is a piece of serpentinite (hydrothermally altered ultramafic rock) with small formations of stichtite (chromium-magnesium carbonate) from Dundas in Tasmania. Like most rocks in people's collections, this one is just neat and has cool colours. Rocks don't have to be scientifically interesting to be interesting.

Congrats on your asbestos collection. You could make some sick boiler insulation out of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Memento posted:

It's not even close to forming the acicular crystal habit of asbestiform minerals, but keep being a hater I guess.

Learn some rocks before stepping up, junior.

That’s what they all say, until after a 20-30 year latency period they curse their serpentine collection under their (shallow) breath.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Memento posted:

This is where I would say "you understand that there are plenty of serpentinite rocks that aren't asbestos" but you clearly don't. That's antogorite, which expresses as massive to platy monoclinic crystals, and associates commonly with the chrome-magnesium rich environment where stichtite forms.

That’s exactly what they want you to think. Lulled into a false sense of security.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Demilich posted:

Let's say I have a lot of beautiful but raw rocks, and I want to make them shiny smooth and glossy as hell like some of the above pics, how would I best go about doing that?

Tumblin, man