Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
That's the first actually meaningful thing you've said!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Flowers for QAnon posted:

“I’m just trying to help you guys!” Yells the man to a room full of strangers. Once again failing to recognize the forest from the trees, as his lack of self-awareness leads to yet another wrong assumption. He had failed to consider the people he’s speaking to might actually be significantly more wealthy than himself, but don’t attribute their ‘station’ in life to an innate superiority.

It is actually quite easy for me to consider that some of the most annoying people in this thread are the SSRI-addicted guilty children of banking executives or defense industry cutouts.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Opening a business chat is funny to me because when I get that "what would you do if you won the lottery" kinda question my answer is always open a small restaurant. A simple rotating menu that's basically roasting/smoking big cuts, selling sunday roast style lunches/dinners, and utilize the scraps for a soup/sandwich menu. I even think it'd be a reasonably big hit here cause the culture and ease of sourcing local meat/produce but it's just not something I could reasonably steak an 80% chance to fail on vs a consistent retirement fund because I'm not the only person who depends on my finances. For every success story you hear with stuff like this, there's 4 other people who absolutely ruined their lives, marriage, and family chasing a small business owner dream. It's only something you should realistically take a shot at if you're independently wealthy (mom/dad pay for your startup) which is why I just plink away at a 401k when I already have a stable income and retirement building.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

It is actually quite easy for me to consider that some of the most annoying people in this thread are the SSRI-addicted guilty children of banking executives or defense industry cutouts.

First generation dipshit! I started working at 14, by illegally washing dishes (ironic, I know)

Flowers for QAnon fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 23, 2021

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

scott zoloft posted:

Maybe you should take a break from being such a bottomless pussy online and spend time with them.

Why the gently caress am I so far down? I thought I was constant posting. This is horse poo poo. Mods close the thread please.

Also I started a successful business. It's called Mike's Balls. The business is sucking the balls of guys called Mike, exclusively. Surprising profitable niche!

Also my real world evidence (anecdote) is the best boss I had ran his small business and we did fantastic work and we all loved working there. The business never really took off because my boss treated people like... People. Turns out it's a great way to foster employees who enjoy showing up and doing their best, but not really for winning capitalism lol

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

ArbitraryC posted:

Opening a business chat is funny to me because when I get that "what would you do if you won the lottery" kinda question my answer is always open a small restaurant. A simple rotating menu that's basically roasting/smoking big cuts, selling sunday roast style lunches/dinners, and utilize the scraps for a soup/sandwich menu. I even think it'd be a reasonably big hit here cause the culture and ease of sourcing local meat/produce but it's just not something I could reasonably steak an 80% chance to fail on vs a consistent retirement fund because I'm not the only person who depends on my finances. For every success story you hear with stuff like this, there's 4 other people who absolutely ruined their lives, marriage, and family chasing a small business owner dream. It's only something you should realistically take a shot at if you're independently wealthy (mom/dad pay for your startup) which is why I just plink away at a 401k when I already have a stable income and retirement building.

I'm sure there are tons of horror stories for those that had unrealistic expectations or didn't plan to lose money for awhile, depending on the venture. However, for those people that are able to save like 30-50 thousand per year or more would definitely be able to give it a solid go after saving for a few years. The folks that missed their chance and are older now may not do it for lots of reasons. All I know is there are tons of people that make a lot of money that could stop what they're doing and go start something wonderful if only they'd save and believe in themselves. Worst case scenario, you go back to the workforce. The people with kids making like 80k per year per household may not be the best candidates, but people with kids that bring in 150-200k together absolutely could take the risk. Best case is they get to spend a lot more time with their kids and make money. Worst case is, they'll be able to go right back to that kind of money, or at least close-ish.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Irregardless posted:

I'm sure there are tons of horror stories for those that had unrealistic expectations or didn't plan to lose money for awhile, depending on the venture. However, for those people that are able to save like 30-50 thousand per year or more would definitely be able to give it a solid go after saving for a few years. The folks that missed their chance and are older now may not do it for lots of reasons. All I know is there are tons of people that make a lot of money that could stop what they're doing and go start something wonderful if only they'd save and believe in themselves. Worst case scenario, you go back to the workforce. The people with kids making like 80k per year per household may not be the best candidates, but people with kids that bring in 150-200k together absolutely could take the risk. Best case is they get to spend a lot more time with their kids and make money. Worst case is, they'll be able to go right back to that kind of money, or at least close-ish.
This post betrays a very shortsighted view and poor understanding of job markets.

So let's say you could realistically sock away 30-50k for a couple years and make a go of it with 100-200k + w/e business loans you take out. Now imagine the likely probably outcome your endeavor fails. You're down the money you saved for however many years, you may or may not have debts from opening/trying to stay afloat, and you've spent an additional however many years failing that you're also down whatever income you would have been earning at your normal 9-5 for those years. Now you want to re-enter the job market with a huge practical gap on your resume, with only x years spent running a failing business to show for it (likely in an area not too closely related to your previous field) all to compete as an older candidate vs people who haven't had any lapse in experience/qualifications that are also younger, you're not just gonna snap your fingers and get back to an upper middle class office job you're gonna take a tumble and at best case spend time working your way back to where you were or worst case simply not be on those tracks anymore.

Compare that to the alternative of simply putting that money into paying off your house/a consistent retirement fund and alternate universe you is substantially more wealthy, likely farther advanced in their career (perhaps even getting their way to a cushier management position), and set to retire comfortably. The difference in compound interest alone for having kept that money and continued to build on it vs losing it and spending x years not adding anymore can be crippling to realistic retirement expectations.

As I said in that post I genuinely have thought about the idea and did some precursory looking into it, but the reality is if my wife and I just keep plugging away at our already generous careers we're going to own our home within the next 5 or so years, be able to put more into savings, and comfortably retire ahead of the curve with a big enough nest that will never leave us wanting. You keep generally phrasing things as if people invariably dump their money into keeping up with the joneses but if you take that early surplus and just invest it into your own property/retirement rather than a new tesla or w/e you've succeeded at the american economy and are going to be way more comfortable than gambling in a small business.

It's the same reason I shrug off friends and such encouraging crypto investments or w/e, sure you can make money and I could potentially be super rich if I dumped money into crypto instead boring retirement indexes, but it's like "why would I take any risk at all when I can literally just walk into an endgame that's already in the top% of my generation's expectations". A household making 150-200k together has already won as long as they don't actively screw it up.

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

The only thing shortsighted is possibly how quickly it would take to get to a similar position in a previous field if your business failed. If it's going to take a long time because you are replaceable with any number of other people with similar resumes, then very likely you are hedging your luck on not being replaced/automated/restructured/laid off/company goes under/acquisition as it is. This only reinforces my opinion that steady money at a job is not as good as money you earn for yourself. You hinted at the opportunity costs associated with not receiving your 9 to 5 income while you worked at a failing business for years, however the opposite stands that for every year you take your 9 to 5 money, you are leaving other successes on the table. Risk management is something everyone does for each decision they make in their lives, and if you trust an index fund to give you the return you desire, that's fine and dandy. If you need to take a long period away from your job for any reason, how long will you be able to come back to it? Will you be paid for your time away? If you take money out of your investments to live while you're away from work, how much compound interest will you lose over time from taking away from your nest egg? Also, how does the risk of investing in crypto compare with the risk of creating your own business? Those two things aren't in the same universe of risk deliberations.

Plus, regardless of your reasoning for not opening your own business if you're able, it doesn't mean I'm wrong for thinking you should make the attempt.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Why would you think you know near enough about a person you've never met to say what they should or shouldn't do?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Irregardless posted:

The only thing shortsighted is possibly how quickly it would take to get to a similar position in a previous field if your business failed. If it's going to take a long time because you are replaceable with any number of other people with similar resumes, then very likely you are hedging your luck on not being replaced/automated/restructured/laid off/company goes under/acquisition as it is. This only reinforces my opinion that steady money at a job is not as good as money you earn for yourself. You hinted at the opportunity costs associated with not receiving your 9 to 5 income while you worked at a failing business for years, however the opposite stands that for every year you take your 9 to 5 money, you are leaving other successes on the table. Risk management is something everyone does for each decision they make in their lives, and if you trust an index fund to give you the return you desire, that's fine and dandy. If you need to take a long period away from your job for any reason, how long will you be able to come back to it? Will you be paid for your time away? If you take money out of your investments to live while you're away from work, how much compound interest will you lose over time from taking away from your nest egg? Also, how does the risk of investing in crypto compare with the risk of creating your own business? Those two things aren't in the same universe of risk deliberations.

Plus, regardless of your reasoning for not opening your own business if you're able, it doesn't mean I'm wrong for thinking you should make the attempt.

This is just naive, staying in a good job is way easier than finding a good job. Trying to compare the two as if "if you couldn't just immediately hop back into your old job you'd have been downsized anyways" is a ridiculous leap. The opportunity cost you've made a juvenile attempt to handwave away is also far bigger than you're making it out to be, because you're not just losing the years you worked. A failing business is operating at a deficit, you're literally spending money to work for however long you engage with it, you went from whatever your good enough job to fund this pipe-dream was to a negative income. On top of the initial investment being sunk you're just going to eat away at whatever savings you had or worse, accumulating debt you're going to have to pay off when you get back to a real world grind. All those years of compound interest are just pissed away, you ever look at the economical difference of starting retirement savings in your 20's vs 30's vs 40's? It's huge, wealth snowballs and "catching up" rapidly spirals out of grasp.

You think people don't want to be a manager of their own fiefdom? People still try, but statistically they fail and gently caress themselves over. Honestly I don't even think it's that bad of a thing, small businesses are often some of the shittiest places to work in terms of benefits/compensation, which makes sense because they gotta extract more surplus value per employee to pay themselves. You got thousands of employees you can just nickle and dime them to be ludicrously wealthy, you got 5 employees and you gotta underpay each by 20k a year if you want to make 6 figures.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

I don't think I have any conservative opinions.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Imma buy the business and turn it into a Dick-sucking factory

Kim Bong Chill
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Who What Now posted:

Why would you think you know near enough about a person you've never met to say what they should or shouldn't do?

You are the worst poster in this thread. Therefore you are hereby invited to CSPAM.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Kim Bong Chill posted:

You are the worst poster in this thread. Therefore you are hereby invited to CSPAM.

Uh, excuse me? I'm here posting like poo poo and getting no kudos. What the gently caress. I literally posted that got responses of "you're gently caress you got mine" and "you're being taken advantage of".

I've posted a bunch of lovely takes. How much more do you want from me? I give, and I give, and it's never enough. NEVER!

In conclusion, the frogs are gay.

Kim Bong Chill
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

syntaxfunction posted:

Uh, excuse me? I'm here posting like poo poo and getting no kudos. What the gently caress. I literally posted that got responses of "you're gently caress you got mine" and "you're being taken advantage of".

I've posted a bunch of lovely takes. How much more do you want from me? I give, and I give, and it's never enough. NEVER!

In conclusion, the frogs are gay.

You posted content

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Imma buy the business and turn it into a Dick-sucking factory

Owner-operator, I see

Kim Bong Chill
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

house of the dad posted:

Owner-operator, I see

Nice

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Drug dealers are small businessmen and should be supported by the government.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

house of the dad posted:

Owner-operator, I see

Finally, someone who understands me

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

house of the dad posted:

Owner-operator, I see

Let me show you the ropes

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Eric Cantonese posted:

Drug dealers are small businessmen and should be supported by the government.

as should sex workers for that matter.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

TONY MEATBALLS posted:

I don't think I have any conservative opinions.

then buddy, this is the thread for you

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

mandatory national service where you have to operate a food truck called the louisiana lobsta mobile

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

First generation dipshit! I started working at 14, by illegally washing dishes (ironic, I know)

Neo voice: "Woah."

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

mandatory national service where you have to operate a food truck called the louisiana lobsta mobile

It's like Pokemon except when you turn ten you aren't given a sentient star mole instead you're given a hotdog cart

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Comedy is either funny or its not. If you get angry at comedians then its an indication of something wrong inside of you.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
On the flip side any comedian that can't defend themselves probably isn't very funny

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Comedy is either funny or its not. If you get angry at comedians then its an indication of something wrong inside of you.

If the comedy is funny, it's the comedian's fault.
If the comedy isn't funny, it's the audience's fault.

Got it.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

kazil posted:

If the comedy is funny, it's the comedian's fault.
If the comedy isn't funny, it's the audience's fault.

Got it.

If comedy is funny then you connected with the point/irony of whatever it is.
If comedy isnt funny then you didnt connect/understand the joke.

If you get mad at the comedy then youve got something else going on.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

you got real mad a racist joke you made didn't elicit a laugh, right?

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Someone has never been to an amateur stand-up show.

What’s the deal with Star Wars!? The stars aren’t fighting any wars!

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

comedy sucks

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

so what you are saying is that it's impossible for a comedian to just not be funny.

got it.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

kazil posted:

so what you are saying is that it's impossible for a comedian to just not be funny.

got it.

Depends on who's in the room.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Women be shopping…amirite!?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Also some real fuckin weirdos just absolutely worship the idea of "comedy" as this holy and sacrosanct thing and act like you've done a grave sin by saying someone's joke isn't funny. The very concept of another person daring to think some rich out of touch rear end in a top hat isn't God's gift to comedy legitimately upsets certain people and sends them into frothing rages. These people are never funny themselves and never seem to get protective of any good material tho.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Comedy is the inverse of (expectation - reality) imo

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

comedians these days can't hold a candle to the older c omedians. ooohhh here's my life story ooohhh look at me a wacky thing happened. tell a joke! rodney dangerfield, now there was a comedian, a man who told jokes. what's the deal with airline peanuts? whats the deal with your unfunny routine you hack. none of these schmucks could have made it on johnny's show, no charisma, no skill, no ability to ad lib, just blah blah silly parking story that no one cares about. ugh!

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

these very forums produced the best ever comedy act and comedian, what are you guys talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e9Pb0lQSfg&t=7s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I wanna hear a joke that you think is funny but you reckon would get goons 'mad'