Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It was probably an old slideshow. I think the updated American dream montage is Jeff Bezos teabagging a bald eagle while burning it's small business down and Zukerburg pouring acid on pre teens and baby boomers and also just Elon Musk's face zoomed in super close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Probably my most conservative opinion is that the only people who should ever be eugenicized are the pro-eugenics folks

If you're going to be bold enough and have enough hubris to think people don't belong in society because of arbitrary rules you've cooked up, you deserve to be the first head on the chopping block

Because people with these fantasies always function under this naive assumption that the totalitarian fascist rule will favor them and they'll end up as one of the chosen to live, which is a really dumb assumption to make, that others are less but you, you being so special, would somehow make the cut and be spared.

Its always a superiority fantasy, always imagining you and yours will be left behind with like-minded folks and everyone else eliminated. If you're in favor of these systems, you alone deserve to get eaten by them, and no one else.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Nov 27, 2021

Kim Bong Chill
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
Social media is a curse. Children should not have phones until they are 16. Hell, I didn’t even give my kids phones until they were 15.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

All Americans must pass the citizenship test if they want to vote. Additionally, you must pass the citizenship test to graduate high school. This is the same test that the immigrants take except you just do it at school. You must also pass the test if you want to be pregnant. And yes you must have a valid REAL ID or passport to vote.

I'm joking about the pregnant thing.

I'd agree with that if the test was of actual value, but most countries citizenship tests don't amount to more than just learning a bunch of trivia about the country you're trying to be a citizen of. It's not a good indicator of anything except a persons ability to learn factoids.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I think David Bowie should be canceled on account of he was a literal pedophile.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

When I got my citizenship they funneled all of us into a room, just an incredibly rich tapestry of nationalities, ethnicities, and races, it was the most diversity I've ever seen in a single room.

After we were all seated, they told us we were going to watch a presentation.

It was a slideshow of 90% white people doing things like barbecuing, working at a construction site, being a doctor, and housewives with their children, the whole procession of badly cropped and edited images were flowing by with dissolve wipes straight out of middleschool Computer Literacy class PowerPoint lessons. This was intermixed with images of bald eagles and the American flag. This entire travesty was accompanied by Lee Greenwood's "Proud to be an American" warbling over lovely PA speakers.

I had to try so hard to keep from laughing the entire time. I looked at the people gathered around me and it was a mix of apathy, bewilderment, and in some cases complete disdain on their faces. I looked at my dad and he was refusing to look directly at the slideshow.

Still some of the most real-life-is-a-parody moments I've ever experienced. I wish I was kidding.

We’re you inspired to become a doctor or barbecueist?

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Archer666 posted:

I'd agree with that if the test was of actual value, but most countries citizenship tests don't amount to more than just learning a bunch of trivia about the country you're trying to be a citizen of. It's not a good indicator of anything except a persons ability to learn factoids.

Just put a bunch of fictitious names on the ballot for each office and if the voter can't identify the real people running in each race and vote for them then we dont need their input in that race.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
What makes someone a good citizen in the first place? The word implies doing more than just voting, right?

I feel like many people don't even really think of themselves in terms of their civic duties and just use the term citizen to grind political axes.

And the powers that be are much more interested in viewing people through the products they consume than educating and creating an informed citizenry.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Good citizen can probably encompass a lot of things but generally if you provide something of value to the society you live in and are interested enough in how it's run to participate in elections that probably fits the bill. It's definitely way more useful in the long run to be involved in providing that value and input on a local level rather than a state or federal one, though. Taking part in national party slap fights is mostly just a huge time-wasting team sports exercise for most people. Someone who donates stuff to charity and helps out their neighbors in need is being a better citizen than anyone spending a huge amount of time arguing national politics.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Globalization in the current western world is driven of course by lowering overhead and maximizing profit. This has resulted in teams working in multi-cultural environments where often times nearly every team member can be from a different country, let alone culture. Tech companies are the first to champion the benefits of such diversity, and plenty of academics and businesses blindly see as an increase in productivity while breaking down barriers culturally and enabling democracy to spread. Most importantly, it allows conglomerates to fly their diversity flag as if they are at the cutting edge of human rights and democracy. Meanwhile everyone still buys labor from the cheapest place possible but because a few thousand white collar programming jobs are from a diverse set of countries and ethnicities nothing else matters. No one is watching the unintended result of teams that have absolutely nothing in common outside of their prescribed work.

There are lots of metrics showing teams that aren't 100% homogenous are actually more productive, but no one is measuring team effectiveness, happiness or wellbeing after being forced to work with people with zero common interests. It turns out having no shared references, upbringing, culture, or even a shared first language can result in a feeling of despondence, apathy, frustration and ultimately reinforces individuals to only engage one another on an entirely superficial plane of existence. No humor, no jokes, no inferences, no references, no nuance. Just work in the most obvious, most plain wording so everyone can understand.

I don't bring this up to blame any culture or company or even ideology, but there is a complete blind drive towards integrating everyone as if people are puzzle pieces or blocks of code that can be blended and shaped into something greater by pure capitalism that is reinforced by those who stand to gain the most. Oh, and if you disagree with any of this, you're just racist.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Bioshuffle posted:

I think David Bowie should be canceled on account of he was a literal pedophile.

You'll be pleased to know that in 2016 he was canceled in the most absolute and final sense possible.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
I can tell when someone online doesn't deal with real people in the real world, and haven't really tried to help their community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Merry Tugmas wizard master