Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

Arizona really is going all in on good players outside their prime as the #2 guy. Green, Watt, Conner, and now Ertz. Looks to be working quite well for them too.

This is how the Ravens have always done it and it works pretty darn well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Mystic Stylez posted:

I enjoyed the football game with the ratbirds :)

We really didnt play great on offense--was mostlt won due to having an actual ground game. Kind of depressing. What could have been.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Freaquency posted:

He’s specifically whining that an offense that put up 34 points wasn’t good today

No I am saying that if we had a running game in games against not the worst run D in the league we'd be probably tied with Buffalo for AFC favorite.

We really weren't that great either. Lamar was a little off target downfield and made a boneheaded pick. Didn't fumble at least. Hollywood dropped a TD. Bateman dropped a pass that got picked. But the Chargers are just horrendous at what they're bad at. I gave them the benefit of the doubt doing it for Chubb and Hunt. But it was bad here too.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

defaultluser posted:

The ravens did this with all the injuries

The strangest part was the fact that the relentless chargers safeties took the night off (how else did lamar roll for twenty on his first possession, when they owned him in his first playoff ?)

Derwin James forced a fumble. Chargers offense seemed the most off to me. And just statistically I guess the 4th down stuff didn't work out for them like it had been. But I respect them for going for it and not being scared of the final score looking worse.

I feel like that was almost like an exhibition game. I bet if the game is in LA the score is flipped.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Dumb to me. Rest a game. Keenum a good backup. Broncos probably beatable with him. Then 10 days before Pittsburgh.

Just noticed they play two games in a row against the Ravens. One before the bye and one after. Weird. Feel like the NFL avoided doing that in the past.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

dingo with a joint posted:

They're as beat up as the '18 and '19 Eagles, but you wouldn't know it from aforementioned piledriving. They've pulled W after W out of their feathered butts, but it can't be sustainable with all those injuries.

I mean I'd be as happy as Larry's even happier brother Clive if we got a Ravens vs Cardinals all-birb-all-the-time super bowl, but I think the Ravens have just taken too much HP damage to make it that far. Fuckin' hope I'm wrong though.

Yeah the Ravens match up great against the Chargers which is why you saw that. But really we have only had two dominant wins. And three were improbable comeback types. Eventually these games will come out as losses. But still a great effort for the Ravens to be where they are.

Like I said there's part of me that was sad watching the Chargers game because if we had Edwards/Dobbins we'd be right up there with Buffalo. Averett aside from the Colts game has been an excellent sub for Peters, who himself would have like 2-3 abysmal games per year.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I will say the Ravens going to Buffalo for the playoffs is kind of a nightmare scenario. Those north New York winds were a big part of the Bills divisional round win last season.

I think if that same thing happened this year we'd win. Look at the Denver game. In previous years we would have lost that in some dumb 17-7 but our passing scheme is actually NFL-caliber at the moment.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

latinotwink1997 posted:

All the negativity about your team all the time and suddenly you think they could; beat the Bills, at their home stadium, in inclement weather?! You’re insane.

In a game where they only score ten offensive points? Absolutely.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 18, 2021

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I will say the Ravens going to Buffalo for the playoffs is kind of a nightmare scenario. Those north New York winds were a big part of the Bills divisional round win last season.

We would have won that game if it were this year.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

It was this year.

You know what i mean!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

this doesn't mean anything

Why doesn't it? I mean with the improvements we've made to the passing scheme we would win a game like that now. Look at the Denver game. And many others this year.

Both times we've faced Buffalo with Lamar they have managed to shut down our running game even though they don't have a great run D on paper. Even in 2019 where we were really firing on all cylinders. And this caused us major problems because even though they weren't doing much in the playoff game offensively we couldn't take advantage of that ourselves. But now that the Texans took Culley from us and the team seems to have taken criticism of their passing schemes to heart they have actually made an effort to improve that. So you see things like the Denver game or even the Colts game where our run game is not effective but we actually have a plan B that we executed. So many Ravens losses over the years have come in this sort of game and just now we are finally seeing the team come up with a counter by using our talent.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

i'm not reading all that. your thesis was that 'we would have won that game if it was this year' which is a pointless statement. there's no certainty that the defense stops the bills offense in the same way as the playoff game. there's no certainty that the ravens offense doesn't just go cold like it did for the playoff game. the offensive line is still starting villenueva and mekari as tackles.

its just vacuous. 'the game wouldve been different if it was this year'. yeah of course. even if it was a shutout again, it might be a different kind of shutout. and if we were to travel back in time red alert 1 style and erase david culley from the 2020 ravens, well, now you're just writing fanfiction.

This is the exact thing you and others saw as a big issue last year that was highlighted by the Kurt Warner video that has been shown on video and stats to be working much better this year. In 2019 we only beat Buffalo because Allen hadn't taken his great leap yet--otherwise we get blown out in that game.

All I am saying is that we can win those types of games now more reliably where our running game isn't working as well and you take some dumb issue with it that overanalyzes and misses the point completely.