Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

SlipkPIe posted:

Is there a scene I missed where Kendall snorts a huge line or are we just supposed to kind of assume he was ripped out of his mind this whole episode

i think it's adrenaline

but he'll prob be chasing this high the rest of the season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i don't think ken was on drugs when he came out of the bathroom, he was just riding the adrenaline from his panic attack. the anxiety turned into mania. but he's definitely still a junky

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

two outcomes i see for ken is either he blows himself up like rome predicted, or maybe the manslaughter coverup is gonna come back and bite him in the rear end. i don't know if there would be any possible way for logan to leverage that against him without implicating himself, but maybe that's just the play, mutual guaranteed destruction.

no way ken pulls all this off though, he's just too drat messy.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

dude can't even keep his girlfriend and ex wife from trying to kill each other. why's she even there dude? he's not capable of thinking things through

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

maybe the manslaughter coverup is gonna come back and bite him in the rear end. i don't know if there would be any possible way for logan to leverage that against him without implicating himself

I predict that Logan is going to wait until he's like, basically dying (or at least safe in another country) to try to bring out the "you killed that kid" poo poo against Kendall. Have fun prosecuting a dying 80+ year old, I'm SURE he'll see justice before he dies!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I love that it was Gerri. She's easily the most competent and pretty much the only one who hasn't tried to dramatically backstab the company.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Really good episode. You can tell it's had a year off though - everyone other than Shiv and Greg looks a fair bit older than they did earlier that same day. There were moments where I was worried Brian Cox was slowing down and didn't have the energy for the character anymore but he definitely picked up when the CEO appointing started.

Ken is absolutely going to implode. He was either coked up for the entire episode or so insanely pumped that he became (even more) incompetent. I can see all the people who've attached themselves to him regretting that decision pretty quick (especially the two media consultants). I really hope Shiv is actually turning against Logan though and follows through with it. Roman will be the last to fall but surely they'll all turn eventually.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Has Jerri/Gerri ever stated or shown any interest in the role? I remember her having a "Well, I guess if everyone wants it to be me, I'll do it" attitude, but has she ever shown any ambition or desire to take over?

I need to go back and re-watch previous seasons, as I mostly remember her scenes with Roman or her being insulted constantly. I had actually forgotten about "Con and the lovely play" subplot until my partner reminded me of it and him asking Logan for money.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
My impression was that Jerri and Frank know they could never win the job and are content with just the proximity to power

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They also know how the sausage gets made and how they'd be the face of whatever horrible poo poo comes down the pipeline next.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Kendall is definitely in the throes of some kind of mania if he's not on drugs. Can't wait to see how it all goes wrong tbh

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
Gerri turned down CEO at the beginning of the first season but only because it looked like Logan would die and Waystar with him. She wants the role but she's savvy enough to see she doesn't (didn't) have the political capital to successfully advocate for herself and would harm herself to try.

Kendall kind-of channeling Uncut Gems, he's in a state of fragile stupid rapture not even aware how messy and invasive he's behaving.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I’m really wondering if the other family sent their daughter in to get Kendall going on this course and bring down the Roy family from the inside.

Also feels too unbelievable for the show.

I’m here for WAR!!!

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

this is like OJ

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

cheese eats mouse posted:

I’m really wondering if the other family sent their daughter in to get Kendall going on this course and bring down the Roy family from the inside.

I was actually thinking that last season, when she was asking Kendall to send her dick pics.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I think that's a plotline if Kendall gets close or wins. She reveals that like she said from the start she hates Waystar and the Roys and wants nothing more than to destroy them.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

R. Guyovich posted:

shut the gently caress up wizard master

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
It’s almost hinted at this episode with her making Greg open the bottle (who doesn’t know not to touch a wine bottle with dust on it and when you’re at your lovers ex-wife’s house?!?) or it’s a bunch of privileged assholes not giving a gently caress about someone else’s space. Probably the latter as that was theme for Kendall of running rough shod over every woman trying to help him.

It’s going to be a great season.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 19, 2021

Grooglon
Nov 3, 2010

You did the right thing by calling us.

Robobot posted:

“Who says I’ve never killed some one! :haw:” was my favorite line of the episode. This show is a lot like The Sopranos in that they’ll toss out something terrible about the characters right when you’re starting to feel good/sympathetic to the them.

What a good show!

I watched season two right before this episode and went into it enthusiastically Team Kendall... and then he did the bit about Tedx talks and sweet tweets and I realized, "Oh right, he's an idiot. Idiot!". Freakin great show.

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013
could anyone give me a brief recap on why Frank is kind of on the outs, season 2 feels like forever ago lol

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Jeep posted:

could anyone give me a brief recap on why Frank is kind of on the outs, season 2 feels like forever ago lol

i think its cause frank was one of the ppl in season 1 that broke off w/ kendall and got fired 4 it. logan is aware that kendall would be trying to flip frank

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
re all the discussion about which siblings might side with Kendall, 302 spoilers: It is specifically about this, so you won’t have to wait long to find out. Obv I’m not saying who tho cos I’m not a monster

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
No, you post spoilers right damnit!

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
"So, uh, yeah, love you, Dad."
"Uh-huh." (hangs up phone) "Roman's out."

Grooglon posted:

I watched season two right before this episode and went into it enthusiastically Team Kendall... and then he did the bit about Tedx talks and sweet tweets and I realized, "Oh right, he's an idiot. Idiot!". Freakin great show.

Everything he says or does makes you wince. Such a drat weenie. Burned through all that goodwill from season 2 within half an episode of screen time just being his best, most comfortable self.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

cheese eats mouse posted:

It’s almost hinted at this episode with her making Greg open the bottle (who doesn’t know not to touch a wine bottle with dust on it and when you’re at your lovers ex-wife’s house?!?) or it’s a bunch of privileged assholes not giving a gently caress about someone else’s space. Probably the latter as that was theme for Kendall of running rough shod over every woman trying to help him.

It’s going to be a great season.

This is an interesting take. I took it as though for someone as loving rich as Naomi was, the wine she chose would be something she would drink on a weekday night, whereas for well to do mortals it's something to be saved for a very special occasion.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I mean Rava's not exactly working three jobs

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mameluke posted:

I mean Rava's not exactly working three jobs

Yeah, the only people who are reasonably normal are the nameless staff who flit around and vanish. Maybe even Greg's grandfather, but to be honest I'll bet that even he has a nice savings account from his family.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

lol at Kendall burning all good will so fast. His talking over his PR consultants right after he says he wants to hear what they have to say. Succession's writers are smart enough to make sure we don't have any heroes in this show.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, the only people who are reasonably normal are the nameless staff who flit around and vanish. Maybe even Greg's grandfather, but to be honest I'll bet that even he has a nice savings account from his family.

Ewan's offered Greg a $250mil inheritance so he's doing OK.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I thought Kendall telling multiple people “I did this for you” was an interesting little tidbit. It’s like he’s trying to convince himself that he’s doing it for good reasons instead of lashing out after being selected as the sacrificial lamb.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

stev posted:

Ewan's offered Greg a $250mil inheritance so he's doing OK.

Christ, I totally forgot about that.

Ccs posted:

Succession's writers are smart enough to make sure we don't have any heroes in this show.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Freaquency posted:

I thought Kendall telling multiple people “I did this for you” was an interesting little tidbit. It’s like he’s trying to convince himself that he’s doing it for good reasons instead of lashing out after being selected as the sacrificial lamb.

i think it's more that he's trying to get them to jump (to his) ship

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Solkanar512 posted:

Christ, I totally forgot about that.

Him telling off Tom about it too.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Read After Burning posted:

I predict that Logan is going to wait until he's like, basically dying (or at least safe in another country) to try to bring out the "you killed that kid" poo poo against Kendall. Have fun prosecuting a dying 80+ year old, I'm SURE he'll see justice before he dies!

I don't think Logan would turn on Kendall like that. Like he'll gently caress with him directly or by proxy, but only in a like "in the game" kind of way.

My bet is Marcia or Amir coming out of the shadows with that knife instead.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Yeah, that brings up a great point. Where is Marcia, and what is the extent of the dark family secrets that Logan has told her over the years?

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Greatbacon posted:

I don't think Logan would turn on Kendall like that. Like he'll gently caress with him directly or by proxy, but only in a like "in the game" kind of way.

My bet is Marcia or Amir coming out of the shadows with that knife instead.

My only problem with this is that they’ve barely established Amir as a character.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Read After Burning posted:

Yeah, that brings up a great point. Where is Marcia, and what is the extent of the dark family secrets that Logan has told her over the years?

Wasn't she in the room with Logan and Kendall after the accident?

clown shoes posted:

My only problem with this is that they’ve barely established Amir as a character.

I totally forgot he existed to be honest. He's done what so far? Sat a dining room tables?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hiam Abbass is cut back to a recurring character this season, so Marcia will show up, but she wasn't in the premiere.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Marcia is in 302 but Abbass is only credited as a Special Guest or something and still not in the opening credits. Also her scenes continue to deepen their weird fascinating relationship (I’m not 100% sure they’re that different from Connor and Willa, really.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

It did feel a bit broader than before

Yeah I got a hint of that too. That happens to good shows the bigger they get, hope it's not a sign of things to come.