Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Bo-Pepper posted:

Estate sales never stop. I live outside NYC but always go to Northern New Jersey to scrounge around mansions for deals.

https://www.estatesales.net/

Also some are just full of stuff. Like check this one out. If I didn't have plans this weekend I'd be all over that.

my rule of thumb is if i see wood paneling in the house photos then the sale is gonna have The Good Stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

If you're around the DMV area (or, lately, San Diego I guess?) Rasmus Auctions can be a good supply of assorted garbage from estate and business cleanouts. Everything starts as penny auctions and they rarely bother properly ID the stuff, so in the past you could get some truly absurd bargains (~$150 for a $5000 inverter welder, another $50 for a literal truckload of welding rod, $200 for a inlaid 17th-century musket). In the last few months that's dried up significantly as I guess covid drives more people who know what they're looking at to online auctions, but if you're willing to wait it still beats Ebay.

I’m gonna bid online for some junk at one of these auctions. Does it work like eBay where my max bid is blind and I only pay an increment above the last higher bid? Wondering if I should just bid now even though the auction ends in a few days, or whether I can save money by bidding at the last second. I’ve never actually bid online at an auction that’s also taking place in person.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

These particular ones aren't in-person, it works like eBay minus shipping. As lots start to close smaller auctions like these get a little nuttier than eBay though; every time lots start closing you'll get people who got way too emotionally invested in some old stage lamp or pile of lumber or whatever when it was $.20 all week and are now bidding many times what it could conceivably be worth, and other legitimately valuable lots that nobody else will even put $ .20 on cause it looks like a pain in the rear end to haul/don't know what it is/it's too unlike the other stuff in the auction for whatever specialty flippers need every penny of their kids' college fund to win that old stage lamp

Ah I see. I’ll still probably try to snipe the auction but won’t worry about getting it down to the last second.

I’ve seen some nutty stuff at smaller auctions like that in the past, like people paying four figures for some unremarkable paperweight.