Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

To he honest, I don't actually know. The strategy guide doesn't seem to mention them so I'm wondering if they are part of the restored content. We don't get a blurb on their corpses like we do with the rats. The guide mentions rats and cops but doesn't seem to say what those particular creatures are or why they want us dead.

The people in the sewers are supposed to be the "specials". They are mentioned more in P.K. Dick's book ("Do Androids dream of electric sheep?") and they are briefly mentioned in the game on one of the news reports --but those reports are somewhat random and you may miss the one I'm talking about. Basically, they are people who suffered or were born with mutations from the war / post-war radiation, are considered lower class citizens, not allowed to migrate to Off-World colonies, and are generally shunned from society. In the book, the character that is closer to J.F. Sebastian's character from the movie and game, is also a "special" (and he is not working for Tyrel iirc, but he's not living underground either). I guess the ones who had it the worst found refuge to the underground tunnels.

The specials in the game are not restored content characters. Also, they are supposed to just peacefully move around, not attacking McCoy unless he shoots one of them first, in which case they'll all become permanently hostile.

McCoy indeed doesn't have anything to comment on their corpse, if he kills one. I don't think I've found something that could be restored for that.

The sequence where Clovis supposedly breaks McCoy's hand is, I think, supposed to mirror the similar situation Deckard finds himself in during the final encounter with Roy in the movie. But it's weirdly animated, and it's game over if you wait for Clovis to come round (and that also plays out unfairly for the player). Sadik is also not there, so yeah the Strategy Guide is again a bit off. The only chance McCoy has here to shoot at Sadik is at the underground meeting, after Guzza is killed by the Reps, when Sadik is briefly seen running at the bottom of the screen, if McCoy sticks around for a bit. But that, only results in wounding Sadik (so affects very little). There are some plans to change that in a future version of restored content.

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Nov 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Thank you for clarifying, it's been about fifteen years since I read the book and my memories of it are extremely hazy.

It's not entirely clear in that scene that Clovis is breaking McCoy's hand as he seems to just run it off like nothing happened. I've just reread the guide and the wording of that scene is a little ambiguous. But it does seem like it's intended to describe what's happening in that moment.

AbstractNapper posted:

Also, they are supposed to just peacefully move around, not attacking McCoy unless he shoots one of them first, in which case they'll all become permanently hostile.

Whoops.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Not to cast further doubts on his detecting abilities but yes McCoy the body with two fully functional and independent heads is very likely a replicant.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

This is the first half of act four for the Sympathizer run. There are a couple of big differences in this video, we follow up with our investigation into Dektora and we encounter a friend on the way to our apartment.

I've started my journey to find a couple of new variables(Lucy and Sadik being human) and after a couple of restarts, I've only been lucky with one of the characters. I'll try again later.

Kibayasu posted:

Not to cast further doubts on his detecting abilities but yes McCoy the body with two fully functional and independent heads is very likely a replicant.

McCoy wasn't exactly subtle or polite about it either with his "Tyrell wouldn't design something like you. He wants perfection." line. You're not perfect either McCoy and Tyrell didn't design you!

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 1, 2021

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the second half of act IV. Most of this is the same as the Blade Runner run, the situation with Guzza is where things really deviate in this run.

I need to do some more testing but I think that I have the two unique variables for the third run, it took around ten restarts to trigger it but so far it's looking good. I'm intending to show off all of the unique endings so bases are covered for a chunk of them right now. I took a week off work as it was my partners birthday, to spend more time with my daughter and to record some more. My daughter caught conjunctivitis at the start of the week so most of my week has been spent taking care of her. I haven't worked out my plan for the next recording session yet, I'll work on the plans tomorrow after my daughter goes back to her mum's place and I'll try to record something during the week. I'll also try to upload more character profiles.

Edit: I've also encountered a couple of proper glitches as well. I forgot to grab a screenshot but the gun in Bob's disappeared randomly. McCoy sometimes teleports through the wall during the scene where he's getting arrested in Dektora's dressing room, you can see his arm poking through the wall at times during the dialogue. This happened three times in a row:

Edit 2: I also decided to see what would happen if I made McCoy shoot Moraji straight after they escaped from the exploding building. It didn't end well for McCoy.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 5, 2021

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

This is the second half of act IV. Most of this is the same as the Blade Runner run, the situation with Guzza is where things really deviate in this run.

A game over situation in the encounter with Guzza in this scenario is if McCoy fires at Guzza but misses (I guess it has to do with a hotspot target area), in which case Guzza returns fire and he does not miss.

Edit: I've also encountered a couple of proper glitches as well. I forgot to grab a screenshot but the gun in Bob's disappeared randomly. McCoy sometimes teleports through the wall during the scene where he's getting arrested in Dektora's dressing room, you can see his arm poking through the wall at times during the dialogue. This happened three times in a row:

Interesting. The "gun" bug was an issue that I thought was fixed, because we put in quite a few conditions to stop it from disappearing (apparently it used to do it a lot). I haven't seen the issue happen since. Maybe it's some special condition that triggered it? Like, was McCoy dead (shot by Bob) or was the dialogue choice menu on screen at the time? Was this in Act 4 or Act 2? For some reason, the developers had the gun be another model for "NPC walking guy", which means it uses the same AI script with a few different conditions. The problem is, not every case was accounted for, and thus it may teleport out when some timer expires or some such.

The Dektora bug is something I did not know could happen. There is some weird pathfinding sometimes when the cop shows up but I never had McCoy teleport in the wall. I'll have to look into what could cause this.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

AbstractNapper posted:

A game over situation in the encounter with Guzza in this scenario is if McCoy fires at Guzza but misses (I guess it has to do with a hotspot target area), in which case Guzza returns fire and he does not miss.

Interesting. The "gun" bug was an issue that I thought was fixed, because we put in quite a few conditions to stop it from disappearing (apparently it used to do it a lot). I haven't seen the issue happen since. Maybe it's some special condition that triggered it? Like, was McCoy dead (shot by Bob) or was the dialogue choice menu on screen at the time? Was this in Act 4 or Act 2? For some reason, the developers had the gun be another model for "NPC walking guy", which means it uses the same AI script with a few different conditions. The problem is, not every case was accounted for, and thus it may teleport out when some timer expires or some such.

The Dektora bug is something I did not know could happen. There is some weird pathfinding sometimes when the cop shows up but I never had McCoy teleport in the wall. I'll have to look into what could cause this.

The gun bug happened in Act 2 as I clicked on the door for McCoy to leave. It's only happened once.

The Dektora bug keeps happening with a particular save file. I'll try again later today and if it happens again I'll upload the save file for you.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

AbstractNapper posted:

It happened again, It always triggers after warning Dektora about Crystal. Here's the save file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M7LAqOwtAGsGgPxDRPw7vKGtBtNL9lI-/view?usp=sharing

Edit: I have no idea why the file was "last modified" on the 1st January 1970.

There are ten character profiles which I haven't shown yet, I'll post five now and five more at a later time:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

It happened again, It always triggers after warning Dektora about Crystal. Here's the save file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M7LAqOwtAGsGgPxDRPw7vKGtBtNL9lI-/view?usp=sharing
Thanks for that, I tried for a bit and got it to happen a few times (sometimes Holloway also clipped into the wall with McCoy). Definitely a pathfinding thing, McCoy gets confused on where he should stand before it happens, but I don't know as of yet why he teleports there. It seems I can get the issue mostly when clicking fast to skip dialogue, so McCoy does not start from where he is "supposed to be" when Holloway enters, but still not consistently. It's a good start to keep testing though.

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

I have no idea why the file was "last modified" on the 1st January 1970.

Just a tidbit, but 1st January 1970, 00:00 is the start of the UNIX epoch, so whatever the system is seeing as the timekeeping string of bits for that value, must have gotten set to all zeros somehow.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Never even occurred to me that shooting Guzza would be an option. But I suppose if you want Replicants to trust you that's one way.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've found some time to do a practise run for both playthroughs, Act V is going to be a short one. I was trying to trigger a specific ending for the Sympathizer run, one that is trickier to attain, but I haven't done it on this occasion. I'm hoping to be able to record the ending to one or both of the runs within the next few days.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 8, 2021

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the finale of the Blade Runner playthrough and this is probably the best ending that we can attain for this route. There is another ending to this pathway but it would have involved the death of a certain character at the final hurdle.

I've been thinking about the Sympathizer playthrough and I've decided to end that run in the method that I was reserving for the third playthrough. Not because I didn't get the intended ending, but because it makes more sense to end the run in that particular way. Much like in the Blade Runner route I played as efficiently as I could, in the Replicant Sympathizer route it makes more sense to end things as being a true Replicant Sympathizer. The way that I originally intended to finish that playthrough makes McCoy goes off-grid and pretty much gives a middle finger to everyone he met along the way. I'm intending to show off different pathways of progression in the third playthrough and I'm not going to be too concerned about loyalties one way or another, the ending will be what it will be.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Lots of unanswered questions, which I suppose is the point of a Bladerunner game. Does the ending change if you just shoot him in the middle of his monologue?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

kw0134 posted:

Lots of unanswered questions, which I suppose is the point of a Bladerunner game. Does the ending change if you just shoot him in the middle of his monologue?

You can shoot him before or during the monologue and the only difference is that you don't hear his monologue.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I suppose they left the option is as one of the last jerk moves that McCoy can pull.
If he shoots Clovis while he's reciting the poem, he says something like "I never appreciated poetry", which is consistent with similar things he says earlier in the game about poems and art, but still it's a bit of rear end in a top hat move (of course as a pure Blade Runner, he probably does not care one bit).

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the finale to the Sympathizer run, which now that it is done I feel like it is the best ending to this run. There is also a slightly different ending sequence which I will try to show off Dektora in the seat next to McCoy instead of Lucy. The two main runs for this game are now complete. A third run will be underway soon which will be heavily condensed into one or two videos, I won't be sure how many videos it will be until it happens.

I'll be recording additional content, it's going to be nigh on impossible to show off every single variable in this game in a short amount of time but I will try to show as much significant footage as I can. A variety of lines were recorded by the voice actors for most of the scenes to compensate for the number of variables in the game. I'd like to think that I have a reputation for being thorough from my experience with previous LP's, I'll do what I can. But I do miss things from time to time, feel free to let me know if I miss anything, or if there's anything you feel like I should include and/or if there's anything that you'd like to see.

On the list for me right now:

A third, condensed playthrough with alternate decisions with the third location ending.
The "official" twelve endings. Depending on how you define minor variables it could be six or it could be more than twelve. The strategy guide says six but lists twelve endings but it also doesn't account for other factors.
Death sequences.
Early End-Game Sequences.
Additional and alternate dialogue for each act.
A short video with Sitcom and Shorty mode enabled for my first 20 Patreon subscribers. There is no Patreon

Edit: I also need to take more photos of the strategy guide.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 11, 2021

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I was definitely wondering if you were going to condense for future runs since even with opposite choices in a lot of respects and some run to run variation on character positioning/identity it does seem like most of the broad strokes remain pretty much the same.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Huh, crazylegs was played by Kucan? Good to see him in a role that's not Kane, as well as he does that part.
So everything does come together fairly well considering all the different variables in this game - which route you choose, which characters turn out to be replicants and so forth - except maybe one thing. Is McCoy always in that photo of the moonbus, and for the pure blade runner route is it ever expained or referenced again?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Crazy Achmed posted:

Huh, crazylegs was played by Kucan? Good to see him in a role that's not Kane, as well as he does that part.
So everything does come together fairly well considering all the different variables in this game - which route you choose, which characters turn out to be replicants and so forth - except maybe one thing. Is McCoy always in that photo of the moonbus, and for the pure blade runner route is it ever expained or referenced again?

McCoy is always in the photo of the Moonbus, it's one of the plot points of either him being set up or being one of the replicants. I don't believe that it's referenced again apart from the encounter with Guzza where it's revealed to be a fake on that particular run. I'm not going to spoil anything just yet but there is a way for McCoy to be VK'd and (edit:) as far as I know right now, the outcome differs depending on a specific circumstance.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 11, 2021

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Ah, that makes a lot of sense, I missed noticing Guzza confessing to doctoring the photo. It is nice that they have the two possible explanations for Ray showing up in that picture.
The variability between runs seems quite ambitious now that I've seen the game from start to finish - what might have seemed like a simple idea has so many implications in needing an absolute ton of unique voice lines to really stop the cracks from showing. Makes me wonder what could have been done with more time and budget... and also makes me realise that if they did want to leave in the ambiguity about Ray's status (or include the possiblities that he is a replicant in the straight blade runner ending / isn't a replicant in the sympathiser ending) they'd have to have done a lot more work in terms of making variations on the ending that worked both in terms of logical consistency and being a satisfying narrative.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I am not sure if the strategy guide explains it further, but the "moonbus reflection" part that McCoy can spot with the Esper on the moonbus photo is supposed to be another clue (or proof) that the photo was tampered with. It's not very clear, but the metalic bit in the "moonbus reflection" spot reflects the area where McCoy is standing next to the barrel with fire. In the reflection you can see the barrel with fire but no McCoy, thus, Clovis (or his associate) did not account for the reflection.

Since McCoy is always in the photo, and the reflection is always missing McCoy's image, I think the idea is that the player would not easily spot that there's something of interest at that part of the photo so they may miss that clue completely. In which case, they interpret the photo as they want -- it's either fake, but based on McCoy's thoughts and whatever the other characters say, or it's real and McCoy's thoughts and anyone who claims otherwise cannot be trusted.

The game does have some other examples of this -- you can go through the game without actually having a photo of Lucy from the Esper. Some parts become a little trickier to go through though. Same with other clues, although for a few of those, as noted, you can find similar clues elsewhere (outside the Esper analysis) while investigating so it's not a big thing.

I think the "Flying away with the Replicants" ending is called Replicant Sympathiser because it works better that way with the story -- McCoy is human but sympathises with Replicants. Of course, there are tidbits here and there in the dialogue that can make the player believe that McCoy is a Replicant, or at least play him as believing in that -- and that's either by design or because some things were cut from the story so they're left open to interpretation.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It wouldn't be a Blade Runner story if it doesn't inspire a shouting match on whether the protagonist is human or not.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I thought that I would try to get McCoy tested on the Sympathizer run to see if it would produce a different result but I'm having an issue. I'm currently having trouble trying to trigger the VK test in the original run again and I know there is one as I've seen during a test run. I'll work on it some more when I have time but I can't give a definitive answer on McCoy's status just yet.

I forgot to add this one to the list but I may record all of the VK questions and answers for each character at some point too.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

I thought that I would try to get McCoy tested on the Sympathizer run to see if it would produce a different result but I'm having an issue. I'm currently having trouble trying to trigger the VK test in the original run again and I know there is one as I've seen during a test run.

I'm a bit curious about this one. Are you talking about McCoy giving himself in to the Police at the end of Act 4? As far as I know this can only have two outcomes depending on whether McCoy got the briefcase from Guzza at the underground meeting or not. So either McCoy goes directly to jail or he is exonerated and let go but, in that case, he says that they didn't put him on the Machine.
There is another way to end Act 4, but I'm pretty sure it's inaccessible/ cut content. The code for it is all there (from what I can tell), but it doesn't seem that it can be triggered. In this scenario, McCoy, after the underground meeting and getting the briefcase, he goes out the Chinatown exit (towards the middle area between Yukon and Howie Lee's), and he is ambushed by police officers. They have a quick dialogue, where McCoy says he's got proof he's not a Replicant and that Steele will vouch for him. The police take him in and the rest plays out as if McCoy gave himself up at the Police HQ.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

AbstractNapper posted:

I'm a bit curious about this one. Are you talking about McCoy giving himself in to the Police at the end of Act 4? As far as I know this can only have two outcomes depending on whether McCoy got the briefcase from Guzza at the underground meeting or not. So either McCoy goes directly to jail or he is exonerated and let go but, in that case, he says that they didn't put him on the Machine.
There is another way to end Act 4, but I'm pretty sure it's inaccessible/ cut content. The code for it is all there (from what I can tell), but it doesn't seem that it can be triggered. In this scenario, McCoy, after the underground meeting and getting the briefcase, he goes out the Chinatown exit (towards the middle area between Yukon and Howie Lee's), and he is ambushed by police officers. They have a quick dialogue, where McCoy says he's got proof he's not a Replicant and that Steele will vouch for him. The police take him in and the rest plays out as if McCoy gave himself up at the Police HQ.

I'm fairly certain that I got an event where McCoy emerges from the Police station into Act 5 where he mentions that he got the test and that he is human.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

I'm fairly certain that I got an event where McCoy emerges from the Police station into Act 5 where he mentions that he got the test and that he is human.

It's possible I missed or forgetting something then.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

AbstractNapper posted:

It's possible I missed or forgetting something then.

It's entirely possible that I'm misremembering and from your response I'm guessing that I am.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Perhaps not unexpectedly a sympathy run does feel more complete. Clovis being completely uninjured in that ending is a bit weird when you have the other ending to go with it though. Like maybe they were going to have McCoy replace him as the leader after he is injured after the shooting at Tyrell but in the end didn't go with that.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Video - Voight-Kampff - Runciter

I was trying to include Gregorian's VK test as well but I've not been able to trigger one of the lines after an hour and a half of trying. I wasn't too concerned at first as it took twenty minutes to trigger two lines for Runciter on two separate occasions. I'll try Gregorian again another time as I'm a little burnt out with this at the moment.

The Voight-Kampff test is composed of thirty-eight questions. There are three questions that can be asked to calibrate the test, we need to ask at least one to start the test properly. The test questions are randomised, and as I've discovered, some of them seem to trigger a lot more often than others:

Where do you live?
What do you do for a living?
What's your name?

There are fifteen low-level questions:

A man dressed in rags approaches you on the street and asks for money.
You're crying. Why is that?
Using the first words that come into your mind, describe your childhood.
You're suddenly very afraid. Why?
You noticed someone attractive across the room.
Are you taking any drugs?
You return from work to find that your home has been burglarized.
For your anniversary, your spouse gives you a real goldfish.
You're having a very erotic dream.
Describe in single words, only the good things that come into your mind about, your mother.
How old are you?
Out of the corner of your eye, you see a large black spider crawling up the wall.
It's the first day of school and the teacher calls on you.
Your best friend has done something to make you angry.
When did you stop beating your spouse?

Fifteen medium-level questions:

You have a little boy. He shows you his butterfly collection plus the killing jar.
Your child comes home with a black eye.
You've been drafted into the army. During a boot-camp hazing, you're bound, blindfolded and forced to eat worms.
A teacher calls you stupid in front of the rest of the class.
You pour yourself a drink. Every time you finish one, you have another until you vomit. You wake up hungover and depressed.
You're seven years old. You've managed to steal several marshmallows from the kitchen and sneak them back to your bedroom. You're caught and your father spanks you.
You suddenly feel the urge to commit suicide.
What's the most embarrassing thing that ever happened to you?
You're giving a speech to a crowd of hundreds. First, one person starts to laugh. He leans over and says something to the people around him. Soon, the whole audience is roaring with laughter and pointing at you.
You see a documentary about 20th-century tuna boats. At the end, you feel like taking up fishing.
You're having dinner at a friend's home. Halfway through the appetizer, he tells you that you've been eating goose liver pâté.
In a magazine, you come across a full-page photo of a nude girl. The girl is lying on a bearskin rug.
You're visiting the dentist. At the receptionist's desk is a huge bowl of fresh-cut flowers.
You're given a calf-skin wallet for your birthday.
You're watching TV. Suddenly you noticed a wasp crawling on your wrist.

And ten high-intensity questions:

You're in a desert, walking along in the sand when all of a sudden you look down to see a tortoise. It's crawling towards you. You reach down and flip the tortoise on its back.
You're watching an old movie. It shows a banquet in progress. The guests are enjoying raw oysters. The entrée consists of boiled dog.
You see an oversized book with pictures of exotic animals on the cover. The title is "Big-Game Hunting in Zaire".
You've been kidnapped. Your captors tell you that you'd better think about what you did to deserve this.
You're at a restaurant with friends. One of them orders lobster. The chef drops the lobster into the tub of boiling water, while you watch.
You rent a mountain cabin. On a wall, someone has hung old maps and Currier & Ives prints. A deer's head is mounted above the fireplace. A full stag with developed horns.
Like my briefcase? Department issue, baby hide. 100% genuine human baby hide.
You're going to die. It may be soon. Death, the grave, rot.
You're on a farm. You get into the pen to feed the pigs. In their excitement, the animals knock you down into the mud. Using a butcher knife, you slit the throat of the nearest sow. You're covered in blood as you stumble to your feet.
What do you think it's like, to be a Replicant?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Bonus Video - Voight-Kampff - Runciter

I was trying to include Gregorian's VK test as well but I've not been able to trigger one of the lines after an hour and a half of trying. I wasn't too concerned at first as it took twenty minutes to trigger two lines for Runciter on two separate occasions. I'll try Gregorian again another time as I'm a little burnt out with this at the moment.

Sorry about that. On the ScummVM wiki page on Blade Runner, we have documented most (maybe all?) of the debugger commands we've implemented, and one of those can make the VK test play in full, so that McCoy can ask all of the questions (you still have to manually press the buttons).

You can bring up the ScummVM debugger console window with Ctrl+Alt+d on Windows.
https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Blade_Runner#Debugger_commands
The command for this purpose (VK full mode) is:
code:
vk full
and it acts as a toggle (between full mode and the normal max 10 questions mode). It needs to be issued once the VK interface is active (eg. at the start of a VK test).

There are other commands there that you can play with, so that you can trigger some situations or check the variables for the characters (health, friendship, clues etc).

And although there is a way to set whether a character is Replicant or Human (out of the ones that can be either), I would not recommend the debugger for setting that for a proper full playthrough, because some set up happens at the very beginning of the game and this won't be included in the forced setting. But, It can still be used to trigger certain scenarios in short term of course if you don't mind that the playthrough may be inconsistent/not viable in the long run.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

AbstractNapper posted:

Sorry about that. On the ScummVM wiki page on Blade Runner, we have documented most (maybe all?) of the debugger commands we've implemented, and one of those can make the VK test play in full, so that McCoy can ask all of the questions (you still have to manually press the buttons).

You can bring up the ScummVM debugger console window with Ctrl+Alt+d on Windows.
https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Blade_Runner#Debugger_commands
The command for this purpose (VK full mode) is:
code:
vk full
and it acts as a toggle (between full mode and the normal max 10 questions mode). It needs to be issued once the VK interface is active (eg. at the start of a VK test).

There are other commands there that you can play with, so that you can trigger some situations or check the variables for the characters (health, friendship, clues etc).

And although there is a way to set whether a character is Replicant or Human (out of the ones that can be either), I would not recommend the debugger for setting that for a proper full playthrough, because some set up happens at the very beginning of the game and this won't be included in the forced setting. But, It can still be used to trigger certain scenarios in short term of course if you don't mind that the playthrough may be inconsistent/not viable in the long run.

Thank you, I forgot about the wiki page. This is going to make life a lot easier.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

Here are the other three VK tests, recorded in order from top to bottom and they get smoother as they go further along. This is my first free time in a while due to work and childcare, after today I'll be working seven days straight and will have my youngest staying over during my time off for a few days over Christmas and at other times before and afterwards. Free time isn't going to be a luxury over the next couple of weeks but I'll try to record content as and when I can, there's only one more video to record with commentary which I will do at some point in the future. More videos will be coming but things will be slowing down for a short while.

Voight-Kampff - Spencer Gregorian
Voight-Kampff - Bob Gorsky
Voight-Kampff - Dektora

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I believe that I'm going to need to add commentary to all of the endings to explain how to actually achieve them. I've started to record additional content for Act 1, if there's anything that you'd like me to add to it that you know about or want me to try out then please let me know. The same goes for the other acts too. I'll be recording the third playthrough over the course of the next few days as well.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I like the way people react to the questions about killing animals in this. It's a very plausible societal change. And the question about the flowers is extremely good, too, with some people knowing it's a crime and some not, some caring and some not.

That question about the farm sticks out though. No one seems to react at all to the absurdity of there being a pig farm they could visit. People can get cheese so presumably dairy farms of some kind still exist, but when no one eats meat why would anyone be farming pigs? Some of the questions are clearly about artefacts of the past - like the fishing documentary or the hunting book - but the farm apparently has to exist in the present.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Tiggum posted:

I like the way people react to the questions about killing animals in this. It's a very plausible societal change. And the question about the flowers is extremely good, too, with some people knowing it's a crime and some not, some caring and some not.

That question about the farm sticks out though. No one seems to react at all to the absurdity of there being a pig farm they could visit. People can get cheese so presumably dairy farms of some kind still exist, but when no one eats meat why would anyone be farming pigs? Some of the questions are clearly about artefacts of the past - like the fishing documentary or the hunting book - but the farm apparently has to exist in the present.

We can visit farms today to look at how they work and see the animals. There still could be "farms" in this timeline with electric sheep animals to simulate what farms used to look and sound like for people to visit. Or, as you have mentioned and reminded me about the cheese, there still could be farms in other parts of the world so people may have seen them on TV or seen old videos of them.

It's going to be a while before I post another video, I've decided that I'm not going to do the third playthrough until after I've played around with the game and recorded additional content for each act. That way I can plan out how I'm going to do it and what I'm going to include within it. I'm trying to plough\plow through a couple of acts to see if I can include a scenario as I'm not sure that I can in the long run. The Zuben scenario alone has a lot of variations and outcomes depending on how you react to each situation that it gives you in a very short space of time. I've already recorded half a dozen different scenarios and have discounted several other minor variations, I also have a very handy guide that is being a tremendous help in pointing out variables in various scenarios and has pointed me towards another situation (edit 2: that I thought was worth recording but the wording was misleading, it has helped in a few other circumstances though so I'm not going to rule it out completely). I'll try to keep things active in the meantime with more content from the strategy guide, these are the last of the character profiles:

(Edit:) I forgot one:

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 18, 2021

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pretty appropriate and almost certainly not at all a coincidence that the machine seems to tend Dektora, a person reluctantly working a job in service to people she almost universally despises and who only want to use her body, toward being a replicant more strongly than anyone else.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Some of Dektora's VK answers will be different depending on whether she is human or Replicant. Usually not by much, and sometimes they will only differ in the way she says her answer. There's at least one answer though that is quite the giveaway that she is Replicant (the one about hazing during army training).

The only other person that this happens also for (having some VK answers be different) is Lucy

Act 1 is pretty short, but indeed the Zuben situation can play out in a few different ways.
As I mentioned I do like that they put in moments where McCoy can be a jerk so in this Act such opportunities are:

- Shooting Zuben in the back, when he runs, after McCoy has told him he won't shoot him and has revealed that he's a Blade Runner. Iirc, other than McCoy's jerk quote, this results in no phone call at the end of the Act.
- Shooting the homeless man and dumping the body in the dumpster. This leads to a few different situations and text in the following Acts (but nothing course altering).
- Hitting the buzzer at the lab annoys Dino and, after a couple of buzzes, he will be less friendly and go away for a while.

Other than that, the game has a few back up scenarios for McCoy failing to gather all the clues at the crime scene, or not getting the video footage (or getting it and failing to capture Lucy's photo from it). Like someone else will get the important clues and upload them on the mainframe (may have to wait a bit for that though), and McCoy can revisit the scene after everyone is gone and still get at least one clue

And, some of the clues in KIA have some special flavor text. In Act 1, I think it's only Howie Lee's catalogue which leads to McCoy telling a bit about why they can get free food at the restaurant

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

AbstractNapper posted:

Some of Dektora's VK answers will be different depending on whether she is human or Replicant. Usually not by much, and sometimes they will only differ in the way she says her answer. There's at least one answer though that is quite the giveaway that she is Replicant (the one about hazing during army training).

The only other person that this happens also for (having some VK answers be different) is Lucy

Act 1 is pretty short, but indeed the Zuben situation can play out in a few different ways.
As I mentioned I do like that they put in moments where McCoy can be a jerk so in this Act such opportunities are:

- Shooting Zuben in the back, when he runs, after McCoy has told him he won't shoot him and has revealed that he's a Blade Runner. Iirc, other than McCoy's jerk quote, this results in no phone call at the end of the Act.
- Shooting the homeless man and dumping the body in the dumpster. This leads to a few different situations and text in the following Acts (but nothing course altering).
- Hitting the buzzer at the lab annoys Dino and, after a couple of buzzes, he will be less friendly and go away for a while.

Other than that, the game has a few back up scenarios for McCoy failing to gather all the clues at the crime scene, or not getting the video footage (or getting it and failing to capture Lucy's photo from it). Like someone else will get the important clues and upload them on the mainframe (may have to wait a bit for that though), and McCoy can revisit the scene after everyone is gone and still get at least one clue

And, some of the clues in KIA have some special flavor text. In Act 1, I think it's only Howie Lee's catalogue which leads to McCoy telling a bit about why they can get free food at the restaurant

I didn't think to try VK'ing Dektora and Lucy in their two different forms, I've still yet to do Lucy so I'll work on them all when I get there.

As for Zuben I was just checking to see if dumping the body and telling Guzza about it would allow me to continue on with the storyline as the only text that I've read is that shooting the bum made the game end early. I haven't tried playing the game by dumping the body and not telling Guzza, does it make a difference if he is told or not?

I was aware of pulling the gun on Zuben and shooting him as he runs, I've got a recording of that already. I wasn't aware that there was a buzzer though, I'll give that a try soon. I'll go through the KIA clues thoroughly at some point too, I was aware that some of the clues have unique text to them but I didn't put much thought into until you mentioned it.

Knowing that the game gives you a helping hand is a bit of a blessing, to be hones,t as it is possible to leave Runciters and completely miss an important piece of evidence that is unavailable to you if you return later. One that you can bring out late into the game too. I was trying to trigger the Zuben scenario by only picking up the most basic evidence to progress and trying to trigger it was reliant on luck in what was downloaded from the KIA. I don't believe that there is a way to soft-lock progress but it's not really obvious that the game is helping you along. But it is entirely possible to complete the game and miss out a big chunk of evidence along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I also need to find a good scene to record with "Shorty" and "Sitcom" modes turned on.