Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

As for Zuben I was just checking to see if dumping the body and telling Guzza about it would allow me to continue on with the storyline as the only text that I've read is that shooting the bum made the game end early. I haven't tried playing the game by dumping the body and not telling Guzza, does it make a difference if he is told or not?

Not by much. It mostly "matters" whether the body will be found (by Howie Lee, or Steele), which is a certainty if McCoy left him out in the open, or with a random chance if McCoy hid the body in the dumpster. If McCoy confesses then, at least in Restored Content, the body will be found.

But it does not count as "McCoy killed a human" (confession or not). I guess it's the game's way of stressing to the player "ok, but don't do it again" -- since it's kind of intentional that they let the player shoot the guy during a chase sequence, and they expected that some players would shoot by mistake.

The body being found or collected with the garbage leads to two different small changes down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

AbstractNapper posted:

Not by much. It mostly "matters" whether the body will be found (by Howie Lee, or Steele), which is a certainty if McCoy left him out in the open, or with a random chance if McCoy hid the body in the dumpster. If McCoy confesses then, at least in Restored Content, the body will be found.

But it does not count as "McCoy killed a human" (confession or not). I guess it's the game's way of stressing to the player "ok, but don't do it again" -- since it's kind of intentional that they let the player shoot the guy during a chase sequence, and they expected that some players would shoot by mistake.

The body being found or collected with the garbage leads to two different small changes down the line.

I always thought that leaving the body out in the open would end in a visit from Gaff and a game over

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Apologies for all of the spoilered chat, it's all for a good cause. Here is the VK video for Dektora in human form:

Bonus Videos
Voight-Kampff - Dektora (Human)

I did record a video for Lucy in replicant form but the Xsplit bug has struck once again so I'll make another attempt over the next couple of days.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I think that I'm done recording content for Act 1 and I've decided how I'm going to handle the Zuben situation for the third playthrough. I'm going to start recording content for Act 2 soon. I've recorded Lucy's VK test for her replicant form as I had a save file not close to the encounter. On the way there I handled the replicant Dektora situation differently and it resulted in an unexpected death scene for McCoy that really made me laugh, I'm still giggling at the thought of it. I'll post the video for Lucy in human form whenever I get there in the third playthrough.

Bonus Videos
Voight-Kampff - Lucy (Replicant)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The VK scenes make me think of what a modern game could do with enough time for a big dialogue tree. Something like greatly expanded versions of the dialogue "fights" in Deus Ex Human Revolution.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I said in an early playthrough about an upgrade to the KIA and I didn't trigger it in both playthroughs. Which made me question my sanity for a while as I was sure that it was in the game because I had vivid memories of it from many years ago. It just wouldn't trigger and I had to do some digging online, which not only confirmed the upgrade but I managed to find out what I was doing wrong. It turns out that with some characters, the order in which you ask questions can be of importance. I'm not going to spoil this as I want to give an example, I've already spoken about the upgraded KIA in the main playthrough so it's no secret.

You can get the upgraded KIA from Bob's Bullets. To trigger it, (make sure the "user choice" dialogue is on first) all you need to do is VK him and not piss him off by asking about Hasan beforehand. As soon as the test is over and you click on Bob again he offers the upgrade. Also, if you don't ask about Hasan before VK'ing Bob, there is a different dialogue in the lead up to the test.

The issue in the first playthrough was that I asked about Hasan first and pissed him off, in the second playthrough I didn't VK him at all.

I've started recording additional footage for Act 2 and I already have a few scenes with Bob. I've made a decision on two different scenarios to include in the third playthrough so far, one involving Zuben and the other Bob. I'll show off the upgraded KIA in this playthrough. I'm glad that I managed to get this to work as if I didn't I was going to end the scenario in this playthrough with a :airquote: legitimate :airquote: way to kill Bob.

Kibayasu posted:

The VK scenes make me think of what a modern game could do with enough time for a big dialogue tree. Something like greatly expanded versions of the dialogue "fights" in Deus Ex Human Revolution.

Surely there are more games that have made use of dialogue trees in similarly unique ways? The Telltale games didn't have a very unique dialogue system but there was a lot of dialogue for a lot of different variables for many of them.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The system is Human Revolution, which was probably ultimately simpler than I think, was about convincing people to do Thing and picking the right argument and tone. From what I remember there was a ton of variation and even differences between playthroughs, so the same arguments in the same order might not necessarily trigger the same responses as previous attempts. As well even if the right argument would trigger a different response from another playthrough with the same right argument if it happened at a different point in the dialogue.

That gets me thinking of turning a VK test into not just a series of hypotheticals to provoke a reaction that you hopefully chose the right order to ask in but choosing the right question for the right person based on previous responses. Not only that but subsequent questions being influenced by previous ones. For a simple example, Lucy reacts very strongly to questions about animal cruelty so keep pressing on that and you'd get conclusive results more quickly but if you used a non-animal example after many in a row Lucy could get confused and the results would get skewed one way or another.

It would be far too complicated to be feasible though.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Surely there are more games that have made use of dialogue trees in similarly unique ways? The Telltale games didn't have a very unique dialogue system but there was a lot of dialogue for a lot of different variables for many of them.

Alpha Protocol is the king of dialogue-choice-matters as far as I'm concerned, but there's a lot of broken-rear end gameplay to get through to really see it shine.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm working on some scenes with Izo and I think I have captured them all including a little bit of extra dialogue but there is one thing that I'm trying to work out.

quote:

Outside Animoid Row, three things can either happen between McCoy and Izo.

c) Letting Izo Escape
If McCoy came out from Hawker's Circle and didn't stop Izo from walking straight to the right, Steele will pissed off at McCoy for not stopping him.

If I'm reading this correctly, does this mean that Izo can escape or if I don't make the attempt to stop him? I've tried numerous save games and variations and it doesn't matter if I shout at Izo, try to shoot him or say nothing. It always ends up with Steele shooting him or arresting him and the same dialogue is said between the two.

Edit: The same dialogue plays out in a yet to be seen ending for Izo as well.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

I'm working on some scenes with Izo and I think I have captured them all including a little bit of extra dialogue but there is one thing that I'm trying to work out.

If I'm reading this correctly, does this mean that Izo can escape or if I don't make the attempt to stop him? I've tried numerous save games and variations and it doesn't matter if I shout at Izo, try to shoot him or say nothing. It always ends up with Steele shooting him or arresting him and the same dialogue is said between the two.

Edit: The same dialogue plays out in a yet to be seen ending for Izo as well.

There are some cut content (not restored as of yet) scenarios for dealing with Izo there, and in one of those McCoy lets Izo escape after talking to him (in another one he kills him), but I don't think that's what this is.

This probably refers to McCoy just placing himself between Steele (ie. with respect to where Steele comes from and stands) and Izo -- before Steele comes in running. It's a bit tricky to achieve --more so if the player doesn't know this is possible. You just have McCoy walk to a spot and stand there, and this case will be triggered if he is in Steele's "way". It can *also* be done when McCoy comes out from the sewers and Izo ambushes him, but the timing there is more tricky (and I don't think they really intended to have it be possible in that situation too).

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 24, 2021

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

AbstractNapper posted:

There are some cut content (not restored as of yet) scenarios for dealing with Izo there, and in one of those McCoy lets Izo escape after talking to him (in another one he kills him), but I don't think that's what this is.

This probably refers to McCoy just placing himself between Steele (ie. with respect to where Steele comes from and stands) and Izo -- before Steele comes in running. It's a bit tricky to achieve --more so if the player doesn't know this is possible. You just have McCoy walk to a spot and stand there, and this case will be triggered if he is in Steele's "way". It can *also* be done when McCoy comes out from the sewers and Izo ambushes him, but the timing there is more tricky (and I don't think they really intended to have it be possible in that situation too).

Thank you for clarifying this, I thought that this might have been the case as I've seen McCoy bottlenecked by another NPC enough times to know that this is a thing but each time I tried Steele ran around me. I will try to find the sweet spot. I'm not sure that I will get the trickier one but I may come back to it at some point.

Thank you for the information about the cut content. I'm guessing that a decision was made for Steele to be the one to arrest or kill Izo to take him out of the late game for some reason. The other scenarios and the ability to block Steele, I'm guessing again, were left in by accident as they probably weren't predicting that people would block her from entering the scene. It makes more sense to me that they forgot to cut it out as they would have kept Izo escaping after McCoy spoke to him as they would have been the same result anyway.

Fake edit: It took about ten minutes but I was finally able to trigger the scene, thank you again for your invaluable help! I'll try the sewer scene at some point in the near future.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I managed to trigger the other scenario involving Izo's escape on the first try, I'm not sure how I did it apart from blind clicking but I'm not going to question my method.

I probably should have spaced out the recording of both playthroughs a little more as this footage is taking a while but I just like to get things done as soon as I can.

Also, happy holidays for whatever your beliefs are or not. I hope that you all have a nice day!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Having the player stand in a specific spot in a 90's adventure game on a time limit seems like a bit much. Suppose that's why its cut content (if I'm reading those posts right).

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Kibayasu posted:

Having the player stand in a specific spot in a 90's adventure game on a time limit seems like a bit much. Suppose that's why its cut content (if I'm reading those posts right).

This case is not cut content. I think it contributes to the feeling of different things may happen in different playthroughs, because I certainly got it first by accident and I was excited to see how this would affect the playthrough.

It's not really a single specific spot. Typically I will walk McCoy to a certain spot that I *know* that works from previous playthrough. But the engine code actually checks if McCoy's position is in the line between Steele and Izo, allowing a bit of a margin too. But it still feels tricky to achieve, even knowing this.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Kibayasu posted:

I dunno. Standing in a specific spot in a time limit seems like a very 90s adventure game thing, especially a sierra game.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

It turns out that with some characters, the order in which you ask questions can be of importance.

This is the "friendship" mechanic. This game loves to hide its mechanics from the player and in this case it goes counter to the intuition of veteran adventure game players eg. to exhaust every option in a dialogue. It also seems like with most mechanics of the game, it is underused. It is weighing for a lot of the path choosing and character behavior towards McCoy, but on other occasions the code just circumvents it and minimizes/simplifies its importance. Also the game keeps track of the friendship between each character and every other, but... it mainly updates and checks for their friendship with McCoy.

The friendship status gets affected by certain McCoy's actions, clues he finds and clues other characters acquire (directly or indirectly) and dialogue options.

They had a whole bunch of other characters stats (honesty, intelligence, stability, combat aggressiveness) that could affect their behaviour but they scraped them almost completely. Probably due to time constraints, testing complexity or maybe they just didn't work for most of the gameplay.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm definitely learning a lot of new things about this game.

As far as I was aware, Izo's storyline ended there and then and thanks to AbstractNapper not only have I learnt that it doesn't but I've also looked further along the storyline to see if he does pop up again or not. Like seeing Zuben pop up again in Act IV, it's been another surprise to learn that Izo can make it onboard the Moonbus alongside him if they're both kept alive.

AbstractNapper posted:

This is the "friendship" mechanic. This game loves to hide its mechanics from the player and in this case it goes counter to the intuition of veteran adventure game players eg. to exhaust every option in a dialogue. It also seems like with most mechanics of the game, it is underused. It is weighing for a lot of the path choosing and character behavior towards McCoy, but on other occasions the code just circumvents it and minimizes/simplifies its importance. Also the game keeps track of the friendship between each character and every other, but... it mainly updates and checks for their friendship with McCoy.

The friendship status gets affected by certain McCoy's actions, clues he finds and clues other characters acquire (directly or indirectly) and dialogue options.

They had a whole bunch of other characters stats (honesty, intelligence, stability, combat aggressiveness) that could affect their behaviour but they scraped them almost completely. Probably due to time constraints, testing complexity or maybe they just didn't work for most of the gameplay.

So far, the guide that I'm using has mentioned leaving out Hasan while speaking to Bob to attain the KIA but I haven't looked far ahead enough to see if there's more for other characters.

The friendship mechanic is very important in some of the endings as from what I understand, Dektora is quite tricky to get that level up to a certain point. It probably helps pissing off a certain character as the interactions with Dektora only happens in a couple of scenes.

I can't even imagine how the game would have operated with those other stats involved, for a 1997 adventure game that is extremely ambitious and I'm glad that they toned it down. Not only for complexities sake but also in fear that extra development time and budget could have shelved the game completely. I'd love to see what they could do with a Blade Runner adventure game in this day and age, which would probably end up being something like a grittier and darker Beyond A Steel Sky.

I do have one question, the strategy guide mentions that shooting the bum (or another character?) cuts the third act short. Is this in reference to the conversation with Steele and there is no chase scene with the replicant? I always believed that shooting a human meant the game was over at this point but it seems like there's no real consequences apart from missing out on the chase scene.

I'm going to start recording footage in DNA row soon, which is from the start of the fourth video in both playthroughs.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

I'm definitely learning a lot of new things about this game.

As far as I was aware, Izo's storyline ended there and then and thanks to AbstractNapper not only have I learnt that it doesn't but I've also looked further along the storyline to see if he does pop up again or not. Like seeing Zuben pop up again in Act IV, it's been another surprise to learn that Izo can make it onboard the Moonbus alongside him if they're both kept alive.

Izo is also kind of similar to Zuben. You may catch him walking around NightClub Row in Act 4 but you cannot talk to him. There's (yet unrestored) cut content where you can have a conversation with him if you find him at his underground stash room in Act 4.

I do have one question, the strategy guide mentions that shooting the bum (or another character?) cuts the third act short. Is this in reference to the conversation with Steele and there is no chase scene with the replicant? I always believed that shooting a human meant the game was over at this point but it seems like there's no real consequences apart from missing out on the chase scene.

I can't think of what they could mean by that. My best guess it is a typo and it refers to Act 4, but even then I'd say it only slightly shortens Act 4; since he's dead you won't find him in his underground home and miss out on the discussion with him --and a "fetch quest" for a flask of a drink to make him talk more.

There are a couple of situations where shooting a human results in a game over. Typically that's when a police officer is near by (or I guess enough of a crowd) to catch McCoy in the act (Moraji, Gordo). But then there are times that McCoy can do so without anyone noticing and avoid any end-game consequences (Bullet Bob, the homeless guy). And then in Act 4, it does matter for a couple of things but again it does not end the game. After all McCoy is being hunted and shot at so the "rules" are slightly different. In Act 1, it matters how much time McCoy spends dealing with the homeless guy. I think he can still catch up to Zuben if he's fast enough even if he kills the bum (unless he also failed to dodge the soup attack)

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

It's been at least twenty years since I last played this game and when I originally bought it, I played it relentlessly. I seem to have developed quite a few false memories over the years of a few events. I also remember some things happening so easily back then, like the KIA and the sewer ladder, that completely eluded me throughout both playthroughs.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Act 3 is going to take a while as I need to go through various saves and playthroughs. What I'm thinking about doing is recording an alternate playthrough over the next few days and then uploading the extra footage as and when I get them done. I have a guide which has helped point out alternative scenarios, random events and a few interesting pieces of scenery to interact with.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
For Act 3, considering you're running the latest stable and Restored Content mode, you should be able to get the scenario with Grigorian's note (at the crashed car) or Crazylegs' leaflet (at Dektora's vanity drawer), that can lead to Crazylegs arrest -- which of course will prevent the endings that require CrazyLegs to be at his car lot. I don't think any guide will mention that.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

AbstractNapper posted:

For Act 3, considering you're running the latest stable and Restored Content mode, you should be able to get the scenario with Grigorian's note (at the crashed car) or Crazylegs' leaflet (at Dektora's vanity drawer), that can lead to Crazylegs arrest -- which of course will prevent the endings that require CrazyLegs to be at his car lot. I don't think any guide will mention that.

I'll double check that they're updated when I get home. I didn't see anything at the crashed car earlier but I wasn't looking out for any differences. Will this appear without having to start a new game?

One of the guides I'm using says that it's possible to leave the scene while Leon is holding up the hotel manager but I've tried and there's no pointer in any direction. I'm assuming ths advise is bull but I was hoping for your input on this matter.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

I'll double check that they're updated when I get home. I didn't see anything at the crashed car earlier but I wasn't looking out for any differences. Will this appear without having to start a new game?
You won't necessarily have to start a new game, but you need to be in a game where either Clovis or Dektora got the car. If Clovis got it (mainframe says the owner is a "Blake Williams"), the note should be in the crashed car. If Dektora got it, then there will be a flier with a note in her vanity drawer (you can only check before she gets there (while she's on stage), or after she's left).

One of the guides I'm using says that it's possible to leave the scene while Leon is holding up the hotel manager but I've tried and there's no pointer in any direction. I'm assuming ths advise is bull but I was hoping for your input on this matter.
Being able to leave while Leon is still there, is allowed in vanilla mode, but I disabled it on purpose for restored content mode. Originally, it would result on a possible crash later on (on Act 4). I fixed that crash bug, but we also had feedback from people who missed the encounter because they accidentally clicked on an exit. So in Restored Content mode only, the exits are enabled after the situation with Leon is resolved.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Video
Voight-Kampff - Lucy (Human)

As much as I'm trying to make this playthrough different, there is a sacrifice to make in showing Lucy and Sadik as being human instead of replicant. During act 3, there are three people to track down and a showdown with one of them, Lucy was unlucky both times. The game forces the intended replicant upon you and you have no choice in the matter. I'll show the stand-off with Lucy during the bonus footage in a fourth playthrough.

Revisiting this game has been a surprisingly nice experience and I'm really enjoying it despite the progress slowing down. I don't know whether this LP is a dream or a nightmare as I enjoy lifting the hood up in a game and experiencing everything that it has to offer and I can imagine this game haunting me for a long while long after I've finished this LP. I've updated several long since forgotten about LP's over the last couple of years because of missing footage. There's an X-Files one that cropped up a few weeks ago that I still haven't addressed.

AbstractNapper posted:

You won't necessarily have to start a new game, but you need to be in a game where either Clovis or Dektora got the car. If Clovis got it (mainframe says the owner is a "Blake Williams"), the note should be in the crashed car. If Dektora got it, then there will be a flier with a note in her vanity drawer (you can only check before she gets there (while she's on stage), or after she's left).

Being able to leave while Leon is still there, is allowed in vanilla mode, but I disabled it on purpose for restored content mode. Originally, it would result on a possible crash later on (on Act 4). I fixed that crash bug, but we also had feedback from people who missed the encounter because they accidentally clicked on an exit. So in Restored Content mode only, the exits are enabled after the situation with Leon is resolved.

Thank you for the heads up. I decided to skip ahead and found it in Dektora's drawer. I'll definitely include this in the third playthrough but following through with the arrest will change the ending that I had in mind. Thank you for your continuous help, you have been absolutely tremendous and I'll always be in debt to you.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

After a short break due to life, I have finished a draft for the third playthrough and I'm going to start recording the footage at some point over the next few days. I'm hoping to have something up before the week is over. I've tried to plan as much additional content that I can fit in while being able to end the game in this third manner and there are five potential ways that we can end it.

Out of the twelve ending sequences, I believe that two are for the Blade Runner Ending, both listed as separate endings. There are three for the Moon Bus ending, these are dependant on your relationship with a couple of people [spoiler](and also if they're still alive or not). There are six potential endings to the third scenario, five of these also follow up with "ending two". There are still choices and mistakes to be made in Act V which can pretty much be made right up to the end which can change things dramatically from how you intended to end it.

The third ending is going to rely on the variables on a third save game that I've started. There were two "Questionable" people who were of the same status in both playthroughs, so bear in mind that I've made sure that these people are the opposite in this playthrough so I could show off more variables within the game. I've made an anonymous and spoiler free straw poll, I'll let you all decide how things are going to end:

:siren: https://strawpoll.com/cg4o2zckz :siren:

Edit: I added the third option after I originally created the poll and now I'm not in a position to edit the description until tomorrow.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 1, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I wrote a few lines as an intro and attempted a practice recording which didn't go so well which was mainly down to my ability to write and to work with a script. I'll attempt another one tomorrow after a rewrite.

It seems like there's an early and clear lead in the poll so far, something which I'm quite thankful for.

It's been a while since I've posted some actual content. Here are the "Questionable" profiles:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
About Lucy's card: "If you give her the VK test, you find that she is the most difficult character to determine". I wonder what this means. You definitely cannot administer the test to Lucy in Act 3, because she'll run off, but perhaps this refers to her being the only character in the game who, at the point when they meet McCoy, does not know their own nature for certain -- she believes she is a Replicant by default. This is kind of similar to the case for Rachael in the movie, who believes she is human and therefore Deckard takes a really long time with the VK questions to get a result. However, I don't find her test to be particularly difficult to get a result. Dektora's seems much harder, and Bullet Bob's can straight up produce a false positive or end undecided (a rare case).

Looking at Dektora's card, I've realised something that I don't think I paid much attention before. She cannot be a Replicant and not end up calling the cops. In fact if she is Replicant she *has* to be the last Replicant McCoy encounters, which is why it's typically hard to find her perform on some playthroughs.
Also, minor trivia: Dektora's stage name is "Hecuba". It's mentioned a couple of time by EarlyQ. I thought this was a reference to the character Hecuba from Westwood's Nox RPG game, but it turns out Hecuba was the queen of Troy (wife of Priamus) in Iliad. To be fair, I'm Greek and the name does not sound at all as it is pronounced in Greek (it is spoken more like "Ekaveh" here).

About Gordo. Gordo is a "Nexus-5" if he's a Replicant. It's a strange detail, I don't think it comes up much in the game other than to point out that his model series could malfunction and was removed from the market (Tyrell claims it was because "it wasn't funny").

Finally, about the twins. I wonder why they chose to have them be humans when Clovis shows them the incept photo (which means that Clovis faked the photo), and be Replicants if he doesn't. I guess the idea is to show that Clovis can falsify these photos, and also that the twins, when Replicants, figure it out themselves with just a nudge from Clovis. But it still was a confusing clue to me as a player. Not that it matters much anyway. Connection to an ending: If the twins are Replicants and McCoy did not kill them, they will show up at the Moonbus in the end. They may be hard to spot because they are sitting at the co-pilot seat in the background. But, if McCoy goes for the ultra-jerk ending, he kinda has to deal with them as well (we've had feedback from people missing them and not knowing what to do). The original game was quite buggy when attempting that ending, but allowed Lucy and the twins to be spared, but this didn't make (much) sense to me, so now it's all or none.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've finally recorded an intro and opening scenario. The poll seems to have a clear lead so I'll make adjustments to my notes as I progress through the recording. I have a feeling that this playthrough is going to be two videos long instead of one.

AbstractNapper posted:

About Lucy's card: "If you give her the VK test, you find that she is the most difficult character to determine". I wonder what this means. You definitely cannot administer the test to Lucy in Act 3, because she'll run off, but perhaps this refers to her being the only character in the game who, at the point when they meet McCoy, does not know their own nature for certain -- she believes she is a Replicant by default. This is kind of similar to the case for Rachael in the movie, who believes she is human and therefore Deckard takes a really long time with the VK questions to get a result. However, I don't find her test to be particularly difficult to get a result. Dektora's seems much harder, and Bullet Bob's can straight up produce a false positive or end undecided (a rare case).

Looking at Dektora's card, I've realised something that I don't think I paid much attention before. She cannot be a Replicant and not end up calling the cops. In fact if she is Replicant she *has* to be the last Replicant McCoy encounters, which is why it's typically hard to find her perform on some playthroughs.
Also, minor trivia: Dektora's stage name is "Hecuba". It's mentioned a couple of time by EarlyQ. I thought this was a reference to the character Hecuba from Westwood's Nox RPG game, but it turns out Hecuba was the queen of Troy (wife of Priamus) in Iliad. To be fair, I'm Greek and the name does not sound at all as it is pronounced in Greek (it is spoken more like "Ekaveh" here).

About Gordo. Gordo is a "Nexus-5" if he's a Replicant. It's a strange detail, I don't think it comes up much in the game other than to point out that his model series could malfunction and was removed from the market (Tyrell claims it was because "it wasn't funny").

Finally, about the twins. I wonder why they chose to have them be humans when Clovis shows them the incept photo (which means that Clovis faked the photo), and be Replicants if he doesn't. I guess the idea is to show that Clovis can falsify these photos, and also that the twins, when Replicants, figure it out themselves with just a nudge from Clovis. But it still was a confusing clue to me as a player. Not that it matters much anyway. Connection to an ending: If the twins are Replicants and McCoy did not kill them, they will show up at the Moonbus in the end. They may be hard to spot because they are sitting at the co-pilot seat in the background. But, if McCoy goes for the ultra-jerk ending, he kinda has to deal with them as well (we've had feedback from people missing them and not knowing what to do). The original game was quite buggy when attempting that ending, but allowed Lucy and the twins to be spared, but this didn't make (much) sense to me, so now it's all or none.

I never had a problem getting a result for Lucy or Dektora. Grigorian was the hardest for me by far and he is meant to be the test subject. I did get one undecided with Bob but the conversation just carried on like it came out as him being human.

I didn't actually check the cutscene in the third save to determine whether the photo was present or not. The twins did show up in the Moonbus ending playthrough:

I'm still trying to work out how I'm going to handle the endings as there's numerous variations that can happen before the final cutscene plays.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 3, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm most of the way through recording now but there is an issue with getting the Dektora ending, part of that may be down to my unconventional playthrough.

There is a small checklist to get Lucy: Spare Zuben, Warn Lucy, and VK Dektora.

The checklist for Dektora: Kill Zuben, Scare Lucy off by asking her to take the VK, Warn Dektora about Crystal Steele looking for her.

It may not help that Dektora is the third of the three suspects in act three. I did ask Lucy to take the VK but the game made her return and Dektora was still unavailable until we spoke to her, the only line of conversation available was to warn her off. Because I killed a civilian, I didn't get the follow-up scene involving Crystal which would allow for me to help Dektora escape. Whether I VK Lucy or not in the sewer doesn't affect the outcome either, I can't manipulate the test for her as she always comes out as human in the follow-up dialogue so I can't shoot her dead as she runs away.

Now I have two options available, with Lucy or without Lucy.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've recorded footage up to the beginning of act five and I now have almost an hours worth before editing. I'm going to take a break and most likely record act five tomorrow.

Here's another quick poll of how to end this playthrough: https://strawpoll.com/vy7owd869

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

I'm most of the way through recording now but there is an issue with getting the Dektora ending, part of that may be down to my unconventional playthrough.

There is a small checklist to get Lucy: Spare Zuben, Warn Lucy, and VK Dektora.

The checklist for Dektora: Kill Zuben, Scare Lucy off by asking her to take the VK, Warn Dektora about Crystal Steele looking for her.

It may not help that Dektora is the third of the three suspects in act three. I did ask Lucy to take the VK but the game made her return and Dektora was still unavailable until we spoke to her, the only line of conversation available was to warn her off. Because I killed a civilian, I didn't get the follow-up scene involving Crystal which would allow for me to help Dektora escape. Whether I VK Lucy or not in the sewer doesn't affect the outcome either, I can't manipulate the test for her as she always comes out as human in the follow-up dialogue so I can't shoot her dead as she runs away.

Now I have two options available, with Lucy or without Lucy.

Dektora is a bit hard to befriend. There are quite a few actions and questions that may cause her to be less friendly to McCoy. But you're right. Killing a specific human (Bullet Bob) will shorten the third Act in this way -- I completely forgot about this scenario!

quote:

Whether I VK Lucy or not in the sewer doesn't affect the outcome either, I can't manipulate the test for her as she always comes out as human in the follow-up dialogue so I can't shoot her dead as she runs away.
This sounds like a bug, but I can't understand why it would happen. If the test outputs that Lucy is Replicant, when she's human, meaning that McCoy tampered with the calibration, then the follow up dialogue should be as if she's a Replicant. The only weird case that I can spot here, is if McCoy ends the test, then Lucy is treated as if the test said she's human (this is like so in the original game too).

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

AbstractNapper posted:

Dektora is a bit hard to befriend. There are quite a few actions and questions that may cause her to be less friendly to McCoy. But you're right. Killing a specific human (Bullet Bob) will shorten the third Act in this way -- I completely forgot about this scenario!

This sounds like a bug, but I can't understand why it would happen. If the test outputs that Lucy is Replicant, when she's human, meaning that McCoy tampered with the calibration, then the follow up dialogue should be as if she's a Replicant. The only weird case that I can spot here, is if McCoy ends the test, then Lucy is treated as if the test said she's human (this is like so in the original game too).

If I tamper with the test for her to get a replicant result it doesn't give me any result at all, the test just terminates after a fairly long period of answers. I think that this is the scenario that I recorded. I can get a human result with no issue.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

2 votes for With Lucy and 1 vote for Without Lucy, darn this kinda goes against this playthrough thematically. I'll attempt to record something over the next couple of days.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Let's Play: Blade Runner (Escaping The City)

This is the first of two videos for this playthrough. This is a compilation of a single playthrough of the game and is compromised of different scenes and dialogue that weren't seen in the two complete playthroughs. I have cut some things to save time (but it seems like I forgot to cut short Gaff's dialogue). I do try to explain some things as I go along but I have a chipped tooth at the moment so please forgive some slight oddities in my speech.

The intention of this playthrough is to show off the third route that we can take to end the game and also show that we can take other pathways to get there far from the "ideal" route. What it actually evolved into was McCoy becoming a psychopath. I went as far down as an unconventional route as I could that could without making the end of this route unattainable. There were more scenes planned but I either had to cut them out or they were closed off because of earlier scenes.

Homeless Guy - I didn't have to put him in the dumpster but it was extra footage. If we don't put him in the dumpster there's a chance that we get some additional dialogue with either one or another character and there's also a chance that we will see his body floating in the sewers. If I had kept him alive I could have completed a fetch quest for him for the drink that he so wants.
Dektora - The vote was to end the video with her but it seems like I closed that route off after killing Bob. But it did enable an alternate scene with Crystal later on. It also didn't help that Lucy is human in this playthrough and we can't just outright murder her until it's too late.
Arresting Crazy Legs Larry - We can arrest Crazy Legs Larry if we ask him about Gregorian. AbstractNapper told me earlier in the thread that in the Restored Content version, there is actually evidence that can be found against Larry either in Dektora's dressing room or in the crashed sedan. If Larry is arrested it means that escaping the city becomes impossible, as far as I'm aware.
Early Q's - There are a couple of ways to be kicked out of the club, but it cuts off access to Early Q's office
There were other minor scenes considered but they seemed like a better fit for bonus footage videos.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos
Act 1 - Additional Scenes & Dialogue

Act 1 is fairly short and there isn't a hell of a lot of variation from what we haven't seen in the main playthroughs. This is what I have included:

Additional Runciter Dialogue - After exhausting the dialogue with Runciter, McCoy is able to keep pestering him a few times until Runciter has enough.
Returning To Runciters After Forgetting The Security Disc - If you leave Runciters without getting the security disc there's no way to collect it when you return. The same goes for Lucy's reference but there's nothing to interact with when you return.
Talking To The Homeless Guy - You can stop and speak to the homeless guy, there are two different responses that you can give to him.
Shooting The Homeless Guy & Leaving - The only difference with this is that we don't throw the body in the dumpster. This can potentially lead to some alternate dialogue with a couple of characters later on and the body returning in a later act.
Shooting At Zuben As He Leaves - After chasing Zuben and letting him live, we can take out our gun and try to shoot him as he leaves.
Bothering Dino - AbstractNapper informed me that there is a buzzer outside of Dino's window, something that we can abuse but it only gets a curt response.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Seems like there's a lot of potential depth of choice (hiding evidence, manipulating VK tests, uh... randomly shooting people) that doesn't quite get explored as much outside those choices. Which given what the game was trying to do, when it was trying to do it, and what it was trying to do it with isn't too surprising. Someone could make a game out of any one of those elements today, much less an adventure game doing all of them in 1997. Heck I mentioned a game about just VK tests and then just after that Errant Signal on Youtube pointed me to a game that does just that: https://clockwork-bird.itch.io/silicon-dreams

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

Seems like there's a lot of potential depth of choice (hiding evidence, manipulating VK tests, uh... randomly shooting people) that doesn't quite get explored as much outside those choices. Which given what the game was trying to do, when it was trying to do it, and what it was trying to do it with isn't too surprising. Someone could make a game out of any one of those elements today, much less an adventure game doing all of them in 1997. Heck I mentioned a game about just VK tests and then just after that Errant Signal on Youtube pointed me to a game that does just that: https://clockwork-bird.itch.io/silicon-dreams

Thank you for the recommendation. The game is also on Steam and there is a demo available, I'll give it a try soon.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Clearly I missed a few cases for Bob's gun :lol:
I'll take look again at that code as soon as possible.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

AbstractNapper posted:

Clearly I missed a few cases for Bob's gun :lol:
I'll take look again at that code as soon as possible.

It was only for a half a second, I only noticed it during the editing process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos
Act 2 - Additional Scenes & Dialogue

I managed to include several additional scenes from Act 2 in the third playthrough, but there's still quite a few that I couldn't include for various reasons. I haven't included any scenes of McCoy getting killed or arrested yet as I'll be making separate videos for them. As you know, Act 2 is bigger than the first Act so there's a lot more to see. I did start recording footage for the third act a couple of weeks ago, I've been concentrating mainly on the third playthrough and getting the additional scenes for the first two acts ready. I've only just started scratching the surface with this act, I'll resume the recording again soon. This is what is included in this video:

Returning To The Tyrell Building - There was no reason to leave the location before you had investigated the crime scene and no need to return to the lobby after we had left the crime scene. These are a couple of scenes just in case you do, for any reason.
Weapon's Shipment On Guzza's Desk - A short scene involving what happens when we take the weapons shipment form from Guzza's desk.
No Present For Maggie - This is the dialogue exchange if we refuse, or can't afford, to buy a present for Maggie.
A Bullet For Bob - Bob can be killed before being tested, he can even be killed after being confirmed as human.
Bob's Angry Goggle Description. - If we piss off Bob he gives us a different response when we ask about the goggles.
Refusing The KIA Upgrade - As far as I know, the only way to refuse the KIA upgrade is to not be able to afford it in the first place.
Meeting Guzza At Animoid Row - There's a chance that you can meet Guzza at Animoid Row and he's usually always hanging around the bar area. It can be really awkward to actually accomplish this though. During this playthrough, he would appear as the camera panned to the bar and disappeared when I moved back to the area with Izo. I had to run to the end of the area as close as possible to speak to Guzza, as even if I was a pixel out McCoy wouldn't move closer to him to initiate the brief conversation.
Running A Tab - We can drink as much as we want to at the bar, as long as we have the chinyen for it...
Asking Izo About "Shell Casings" - This is the only line of conversation that I missed with Izo in the main playthroughs.
Izo's Take Down By The Sewer & Izo's Arrest By The Sewer - This is what happens if we don't get in the way of Steele while Izo is trying to kill us. I didn't edit the "Take Down" video as it was originally at the end until I realised that I forgot a couple of scenes and then forgot when I moved it to where it is now.
Blocking Steele's Shot (Market Side) - Market side? Plaza? Square? Either way, this is what happens when we block Steele's shot from the other side of the screen.
McCoy & The Mannequin - There's a mannequin in the twin's office where we can find an envelope full of money. We can also interact with that mannequins head several times.
Leaving Moraji - In two of the playthroughs, I saved Moraji and in one of them I shot him and ran out of the building. Just running out of the building and leaving him inside is also another viable option.