Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Really? They were pretty clearly different dudes. In fact, I don't think that was a dude and it was some kind of combat robot.

Also, it's not a spoiler anymore, I think you can say his name :razzy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
It's a spoiler until that video. I figured 2 posts after it wasn't the best place to start tossing it around.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Is there any information available about the (design of the) Chozo's spoken language? It sounds like an actual language, not just gibberish. If there's a repeating word in the subtitles you hear him say the same thing.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
There's a couple youtube videos regarding that where people have broken down the speech and alphabet. I dont know jack about languages but the video creators said it was pretty impressive how fleshed out the language is.

Also, did anyone notice the word for "however" is "sebulba"

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The video I saw mentioned its not like you'd assume, either it being gibberish or a direct cypher, but "chozo" words that are ordered as they'd be in English grammar.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Like if you don't think Raven Beak is not going to be the final boss then what, is Ridley going to just crash through the door and punt Raven Beak?

Raven Beak has all the drat final boss build up

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

It's a minor thing, but, curiously, the Chozo language can pronounce 'ch' sounds, like in Chozo, but not 't' sounds, like in Metroid. Quiet Robe calls the Metroids 'Mehroids' every time he says their name. I thought at first that it was because Chozo don't have teeth and making the hard T sound would be harder for them (nevermind how a beak can make an M sound), but then he shouldn't have been able to pronounce the word Chozo either.

FeyerbrandX posted:

The video I saw mentioned its not like you'd assume, either it being gibberish or a direct cypher, but "chozo" words that are ordered as they'd be in English grammar.

Grammar is harder to invent than words, so this isn't especially surprising. Aren't there only two or three different 'types' of grammar in the world?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like the sound of Raven Beak’s name in Chozo. Ashkar Behek

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
It's so rad hearing Samus speak in Chozo. Such a neat little character moment, and it shouldn't have surprised me

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

It's so rad hearing Samus speak in Chozo. Such a neat little character moment, and it shouldn't have surprised me

I had to go back to rewatch it. I didn't even notice first time through.

As for the planet names, I just assumed that Quiet Robe was using the Federation designations since that's what Samus would be familiar with. And Raven Beak probably did a bunch of their research where Quiet Robe could hear/see

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

For all we know, the Chozo gave humans star maps early on and humanity is using Their designations for the planets.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

AtomikKrab posted:

For all we know, the Chozo gave humans star maps early on and humanity is using Their designations for the planets.

Maybe they did use the Chozo-name and the subtitles autotranslated it. Like Roma gets translated to Rome, or Köln ends up Cologne.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

Like if you don't think Raven Beak is not going to be the final boss then what, is Ridley going to just crash through the door and punt Raven Beak?

Raven Beak has all the drat final boss build up

Oh, he's probably the final boss. But there's been X on planet. I wouldn't completely rule out last minute shenanigans with that after his defeat or something.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The presence of the X means the obvious ending sequence is first Raven Beak as a boss and then running down to the bottom of the facility to set off a bomb to destroy the planet and then getting to the surface with a half dozen RB-X after Samus.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

The one where Olive Branch and I spend nearly 15 minutes not exercising our observational skills

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 12, 2021

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

To be fair, I've also made the exact same mistake with that fight, missing the obvious in hindsight switch that you're supposed to use and taking an embarrassing amount of time to realize that, and I've definitely seen a good number of other folks get tripped up by that same boss in the same way.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

It's a relief to know that we're not the only ones that got tripped up by it! Someone on Youtube left a comment on the video about it, and I'm going to copy and paste my thoughts on why the boss (apparently called Drogya) is so difficult for first-time playthroughs:

Well, the initial target is the tentacle at the top of the screen, so that's where the player's attention is going to be once it's defeated and the power is restored. And while your eyes are up there, the light from the electric rail turns on, further emphasizing that that's where the player's attention is going to be (not necessarily that it should be there). While the cinematic at the beginning of the fight DOES display the little button beside Samus, it's also a tiny light placed in the very bottom corner of the screen (and the green meshes with the water's blue kind of well) and there's so many other elements to draw the player elsewhere. And once the player grapples onto the magnetic panel, it starts to move, which typically implies forward progress.

What could be done is have the magnetic rail not light up and/or not have the magnetic panel move once the player grapples to it until the turbines are on, which would force the player to look elsewhere for clues on how to progress. Or even have the little light on the turbine blink so that the motion brings my eyes back down to it.

I'm glad to know that we're not the only ones to struggle with this guy, haha

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Maple Leaf posted:

It's a relief to know that we're not the only ones that got tripped up by it! Someone on Youtube left a comment on the video about it, and I'm going to copy and paste my thoughts on why the boss (apparently called Drogya) is so difficult for first-time playthroughs:

If you ever want to know a Bosses name, you can go to the events screen in the menu or scroll over the room you fight them in. Both will tell you the bosses name.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Just caught up with the video where you beat Topaz - the one where you said "I want to punch an EMMI in the head."

Honestly, since they give you a melee counter, that'd be a pretty logical extension of the mechanic, if you think about it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Quackles posted:

Just caught up with the video where you beat Topaz - the one where you said "I want to punch an EMMI in the head."

Honestly, since they give you a melee counter, that'd be a pretty logical extension of the mechanic, if you think about it.

They were specifically talking about the fact that he wants to manage that impossibly hard counter.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
This boss killed me half a dozen times before I finally looked up what I was supposed to do. Felt like an absolute baboon when I realized I had completely missed that switch. I, too, am glad I'm not the only one that missed it.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Yeah, I somehow missed the obvious with this boss too, as I think I mentioned in the parallel LP thread; ended up having to look up the answer and felt really stupid once I realised.

I think part of the issue is that the button is behind you relative to the boss, so it's possible to not see it if you're looking at the boss itself to see what's changed (looking for an exposed weakness, etc) after you've destroyed the tentacle?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Might have also helped for the button to be red for the first part instead of simply off, then the color change could have been more noticeable.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Not gonna lie, I forgot about the switch because I didn't get a good look at it when the boss whacked it off and assumed it was busting a door and locking you in with it.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I found the cutscene pretty artless in highlighting THE BUTTON, so I bet this was an issue in testing. Players, as you noted, had their eyes focused at the top of the screen, saw the grapple point after a bunch of screens worth of grappling and so were set to assume the grapple point had to be the key element. So the devs made a point to emphasize the button in the cutscene, but didn't fix the fundamental issue of the misdirection. So I can see a lot of players only saw this boss as a speedbump, but those who didn't catch where the cutscene was directing them, it really doesn't have a good fallback to remind the player. So it's kind of a binary: if you got it, you got it, didn't see the fuss, but if you didn't, this boss was probably a bear.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
There's kind of a more fundamental problem with the way Metroid Dread uses the pre-boss cutscene to highlight the boss's weak point; it's fine if the message is received, but if the player ever misses that message, for any reason, and it's not something that begins and ends with what bit of the motherfucker you shoot to make its HP go down, it's lost forever, because every player on earth is going to skip that cutscene on subsequent attempts, unless they specifically pick up on the fact that the game is using the cutscenes to teach you things, and that's just not a thing that most people think about while playing video games.

Also, when was the last time we even saw one of those shooty generator things? I think there have been like three of them in total, and they were all in like the first pass of Cataris or something. Normally in a videos game it would be the done thing to put one of these right before the boss fight, just to remind players that these things exist and you shoot them when they're green, and its kind of a weird uncharacteristic misstep for Dread to not do this, especially given how deftly it wields other variously subtle and blunt design tricks.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The issue is that I didn't see the scene but I still noticed the button...

The issue is that I decided that I only needed to shoot it once, so I was still having the same problem.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

FeyerbrandX posted:

The issue is that I didn't see the scene but I still noticed the button...

The issue is that I decided that I only needed to shoot it once, so I was still having the same problem.

So basically the video experience is fairly typical for this boss.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am one of those people who remembered the devices from earlier and instantly figured it out.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am one of those people who remembered the devices from earlier and instantly figured it out.

:same:, didn’t have trouble with the boss cause I remembered the switches from earlier, though the second one on the other side tripped me up for one second in that I panicked a bit when I saw the other switch then had to do it again.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I like how olive branch suggested beakface would get a comeuppance by the x when my guess for why he didn't kill Samus was that he was already infected. Especially so now that we found the x contained in an overrun warrior base.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
While Plasma Beam dealt damage per frame in the sprite Metroids (and was a massive DPS increase), starting from Samus Returns, it's just a big damage boost and hits only once.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
loled at the Adam interaction

uhh yeah, it was Raven Beak...let's go with that...

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The door closed after Samus so it wasn't her and there's not exactly a lot of other people going around.

Might have been a case for GalFed OSHA to write additional recommendations regarding a specific type of maglock for certain uses.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

WHY BONER NOW posted:

loled at the Adam interaction

uhh yeah, it was Raven Beak...let's go with that...

Well it was not her, the doors were closed behind her.

Anyway Quiet Robe said Raven Beak managed to contain the X so Elun is for sure where he did it.

Also the X can’t infect and mimic robotic hosts, unless said robot has organic components.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Worth noting on the Unknown Item that only Super Metroid allowed you to get an expansion wherever to actually use it, future 2D games would code in a sort of hard key locked pickup point to keep you at least a bit on the right track.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

bladeworksmaster posted:

Worth noting on the Unknown Item that only Super Metroid allowed you to get an expansion wherever to actually use it, future 2D games would code in a sort of hard key locked pickup point to keep you at least a bit on the right track.
Nah, you could get some pickups early in Zero Mission. In particular there was one Super Missile early in Brinstar you could get just by doing a ball shinespark in the right place.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
So uh... are the Chozo extinct now or something since all of Raven Beak's crew got X'd? Though to be honest, I thought they all died out when Samus was young, so seeing the robed one back in update 9 was a bit surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010