Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Have to respect the restraint of playing this game over the course of weeks. I couldn't put it down and got through it in a weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
I almost didn't. I'm going to replay the game in hard mode as soon as I'm done with the LP.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

So funny story, I didn't actually get to Hanubia until after I disposed of the purple EMMI you're about to face, meaning I never ran into this reroute you hit on my first playthrough. It's really interesting to see how minor route alterations can change the flow of the game so much.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

So with Golzuna the way to quickly get to other side is just to slide under it.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

I claimed that I was good at Metroid, not that I was smart at Metroid

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I am seriously impressed you somehow survived that and got it on the first try.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

You are really making me feel bad at this game. Just getting to the brain room for this EMMI took me like five tries, I think.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Today in tiny little things I noticed: Samus goes two stairs at once when walking down the steps from the elevator.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

I noticed that when I recorded the 100% run earlier this week. It's the little touches that really give the game emotion.

Another thing is, take a look at the full thumbnail:

Based on my guess, if Samus's reaction to that mook was really to do what a Metroid would do and suck its energy dry, I think that the finger positions are intentional - her index and middle fingers are lit up and their posture with her thumb looks like a Metroid's mandibles.

Personality is an easy thing to forget in development and miss in casual play, but it really goes a long way when it's noticed.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

This sucks I have a longtime friend who hasn't played this yet and I want to hear his reaction to *gestures at everything, but pointing hard and constantly at that*

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Man that was a nail biting EMMI encounter! So many brushes with death

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Man that was a nail biting EMMI encounter! So many brushes with death

That too, plus the fact that it wasn't like all the other EMMI fights where you could camp in one spot in the room you get dumped on and probably have a pretty good spot to kill it. This one demanded an obstacle course first.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Maple you panic flailed your way through that emmi fight, but... won somehow, how many counters did you get in a row on it? like 5?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

I assure you that each and every flail was calculated and precise

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It was actually "only" 3, but getting jammed in that one room and managing to flash shift out counts as an honorary fourth counter

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Considering there are those red wall pulse things which block the way, would you say that Samus is shooting down the walls of heartache?

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
On that EMMI, it almost feels to me like its counters are a little more generous to account for the absolutely cramped location you have to fight it in. Is that just me?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Lynneth posted:

On that EMMI, it almost feels to me like its counters are a little more generous to account for the absolutely cramped location you have to fight it in. Is that just me?

Not having played it myself, and only watching Maple Leaf go through it, I'm going to say that the timing might be more generous here.

That's not a dig at Leaf; going from 0 counters to 3 in a row in a panic situation is very impressive either way.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

So revenbeak has been on a ship in orbit this whole time. If it weren't for the x infected guard just outside the lift up I'd say he had a chance at not being x infected before Samus even got here.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

I love the bait and switch the game pulls on your expectations with the final EMMI. After all this time and so many movement and power upgrades, you might have probably gotten the routine of the EMMI chases down, and since we got some narrative beats creeping in, pull the rug out from under the player and instead use this final bot as a way to clinch the narrative turn from just a moment ago, using the up to now indestructible opponent to do so.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
It ended up being extra bait-and-switch for me, because I apparently misunderstood a couple lines from the ZP review, and thought the last EMMI was going to get killed by Ravenbeak. :downs:

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I love this part! This game knows how to slowly build up a feeling of impending Dread (pun intended), but up to now that feeling has been product of the environment and the dangers therein. Now, Samus herself is a source of dread: she's fully in control of her Metroid powers, and even seems to enjoy using them. At this point, I stopped being afraid for Samus and started being afraid of Samus.

Can't wait for the final battle.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

MachuPikacchu posted:

I love this part! This game knows how to slowly build up a feeling of impending Dread (pun intended), but up to now that feeling has been product of the environment and the dangers therein. Now, Samus herself is a source of dread: she's fully in control of her Metroid powers, and even seems to enjoy using them. At this point, I stopped being afraid for Samus and started being afraid of Samus.

Can't wait for the final battle.

Yeah the game really does hammer in the dread. After I beat the game I was thinking the exact same thing.

Dread - Interacting with EMMI
Dread - How I've gone through half the planet without finding the morph ball
Dread - The Chozo robots
Dread - The Chozo X (why do I need to do the 2 melee counters to kill them? I asked myself at the time)
Then there was a moment in the game where Samus got enough upgrades where even fighting 2 Chozo robots wasn't a problem (I also think the much larger arenas they appeared in made things much easier too)
Then around the time where you got the gravity suit the Chozo X stopped being a problem.

And then yeah, once I realized what Samus's hand burning red meant it sincerely brought about new dread. Then draining the Chozo X made me realize "hey she didn't just charge shot its face off. Man that was brutal wasn't it? How the Hell is this worse than blowing its face off!? Oh god it's HEALING her?

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
And then you get that little comment by Adam. I wasn't quite expecting that, which makes me wonder who we've really been following the entire time. Or why we came here in the first place.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Saying that you did an lp of a game and you not only enjoyed it but wanted to immediately play it again is some hefty praise.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The 48:20 missile+ expansion? Yeah that's the alternate solution. That's the way I tried doing it but just could never get the timing down.

The intended way is to speed boost from below, sliding and wall jumping to maintain speed all the way up. It's tough too but drat satisfying to pull off.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I do wish that the game mentioned somewhere that you can do wall jumps while shinesparking because it's so loving cool and good, but you would never ever think to try that if you're so used to shinesparking in the older games.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Also shine sparking down. But yeah explaining just how much you can do at full speed would be nice to get a clear explanation for.

There were a couple times when playing shortly after getting the speedbooster that I thought I kept speed after jumping up to a higher level, but since I usually wanted to stop on that ledge I would crouch or do something else that would cancel it, so it'd just feel it happen but didn't really parse it.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

It's a drat good Metroid game.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Raven Beak probably rigged the whole planet as plan B for dealing with the X. Gotta be thorough.

But yeah, it exploded because Samus was there.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I think the idea is that the part of the planet you’re in for the entire game has this huge geothermal system powering and heating the various facilities around the planet. So, when Raven Beak’s fortress crashed back into the planet, it landed in the right area to cause enough damage to create a chain reaction that would have taken out the entire planet, or something like that.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

No, Raven beak rigged the planet to blow, also Samus's ship can blow up planets anyway, this was mentioned earlier.

Also I hate that ending for raven beak, it is a total cop out. If you were going to have him survive the ship going down. Samus should have stood up and then got hit by an ice missile, having him become OOH An X ate him and now its some gross, Raven Beak/Kraid/Experiment X-57 Hybrid coming to eat you is... a let down to me, because in the end, Samus doesn't kill Raven Beak, an X eats him

Just have raven beak be shooting ice missiles at samus as she charges the hyper beam and fries him, would be much more satisfying to me,

Also you mentioned why does the Raven Beak X eating you end the game when you a metroid, well because then Samus fuses with Raven Beak's DNA which is in the X and since Metroid DNA is hostile to Mawkin, persumably it does something not good to Samus, possibly the reverse of what happens with Quiet Beak X

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I like that the game shows you Raven Beak's attacks (and how to avoid them) in the opening cutscene.

The whole ending sequence was awesome, but I too died at Raven Beak X because I kept holding the two shoulder buttons thinking I had to do the Omega Beam.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
That was a fun ride. Thanks for showing it off.

My bet is that the last ADAM we saw was fake, but all others were real.

This is something I wanted to share here for a few weeks, but obviously there's some spoilers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-4xVa6TN-o

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

CzarChasm posted:

My bet is that the last ADAM we saw was fake, but all others were real.

ADAM never called her Lady after losing communications and meeting Deadbeak Dad. Once gameplay started it was never the real one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

ADAM was 100% Raven Beak from the moment we got back up in Artaria, guiding Samus up and through each challenge to the surface.

As for Raven Beak himself, he really does have the energy of the most arrogant bastard in the galaxy with how he talks down Samus' achievements as a result of his DNA, referring to her as his daughter only to big up himself. And as the fight shows, his arrogance isn't entirely unfounded either, as god drat this fight is loving awesome. Rekka combos like Fei Long, ludicrously powerful beams and Aeion powers that Samus herself used in Samus Returns, only on a much grander scale with Beam Burst and Lightning Armor. Even with each hit Samus gets on him, he simply calmly adjusts to his next strategy and readies himself again. An excellent final boss for a Metroid game.

Also, the planet exploded because Raven Beak's ship set off a chain reaction all the way to the core, is what I thought.