Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I want to play Elden Ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

You can see the stats screen in the video, it looks a lot like DS3's with HP, FP, and Stamina

There's also Faith, Intelligence, and Arcane, which makes me wonder what type of magic Arcane boosts, or maybe it's to make your summoned spirits stronger

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DS2 is fun

Also I can't believe how fun Elden Ring looks

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

extremebuff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DWTt37khU

vaati just posted a big gameplay look, UI seems to be a placeholder but theres a ton revealed here

I love that there are magic weapon arts you can attach to any weapon, it's gonna make a battlemage build a lot of fun I bet

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

images you can hear

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I might start posting made up hints in the Games thread that sound like they could be genuine

:hmmyes:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

You have to get to the last boss without using any ashes of war to get the good ending

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Can't decide if I'm gonna go for a magic+melee build like Dex/Int or Str/Fai (or Dex/Fai since there's a starting class just for that it looks like) or if I'm gonna just go for a quality build with weapons and a bow

Faith looks like it's going to be extremely cool this time around

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

magic looks really sick in this game.. but I'm worried it'll make things too easy

sorcery and miracles both look insanely sick yeah, and there are sorcery and faith-based weapon arts to go with them so it seems like a spellblade type build might be encouraged.

Though I also hope bows are good this time around because if I can snipe dudes to death from 100 miles away like in Demon's Souls I might not feel the need to use magic at all

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hope the MLGS in this is as sick as the Holy Moonlight Sword in Bloodborne

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Magic let’s you have so much option with staying at range as well as op damage and homing. On top of that you can do melee just as well as a str build due to magic upgrades on weapons. I’m doing my first magic build in demons and I’ve only died twice 2/3s through the game and once was when I walked off a cliff

Magic is at its most OP in Demon's Souls since MP regen is so easy to get and you can one-shot bosses with Fire Storm

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I don’t even mean this stuff. Like the basic soul arrow is so powerful and useful to just have an easy ranger attack at all times that scales up with your magic damage too. Then like defence up and fire protect spells befor tou even start transmuting then demon souls.

Like in 4-1 easily blowing the manga rays out of the sky. Or in 1-1 the surprisingly dangerous flame dreglgins on the narrow stairs with explosive barrels. Or that in all of 2 the miners are pretty weak to magic damage so didn’t even need to switch to a piecing weapon.

Oh yeah soul arrow basically beats the entire early game for you, especially if you're a Royal and started with the MP regen ring. It's nuts. Late game bows are an even better ranged attack since bows are amazing in Demon's but by then magic users have Soul Ray and Fire Storm and Homing Soul Arrow a moon or crescent Uchigatana just tearing poo poo up

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Think I might start as a Confessor because it's all set up for you to be a sneaky faith assassin and that sounds kind of cool

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

At least going by the network test miracles in Elden Ring look cool as hell, lots more offensive miracles this time, and the confessor looks like it starts with one that silences your footsteps (which I think used to be a sorcery in older games)

Also assuming it hasn't changed from the network test, pyromancy is all in miracles now

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Going to roll into Best Buy on Friday morning to pick up my preorder vibrating with pure hype at precisely 264 Hz and producing a perfect middle C

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gonna use a handwritten notebook and it's going to rule

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Iron Pineapple's review has me insanely hyped

He showed off a weapon art that lets you roll into a ball, cover yourself in electricity, and roll around on the ground shocking enemies

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

https://twitter.com/ThudsonPlays/status/1496530773859606531

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lotta people gonna be picking up Elden Ring thinking it's the next Skyrim and are either going to be very angry or discover something magical

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It owns that From doesn't give a poo poo what people on twitter who won't play the game anyway say so none of this whining will ever affect their game design

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HolePisser1982 posted:

the older I get the more deeply I respect art that asks some effort on your part. the payoff is always fuckin epic

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

i want to play

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Orange DeviI posted:

watching increasingly worse elden ring related videos to distract myself from doing the work that could net me more playtime tomorrow if i did it ahead of time

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bad day to be a PSailure like me :negative:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

apropos to nothing posted:

honestly really not sure why youre all so excited to play this

Games thread is going to be a real mess for a while huh

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What's everyone's favorite weapon they found so far

The flail whips rear end, but also I got a curved greatsword from an optional boss that I don't have the stats to wield but seems extremely good too

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Beat Godrick on the third try, what a wild fight

The Bloodhound’s Fang is an extremely good sword. The weapon art was doing like 700 damage for the full combo and I think it has some iframes

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

don't sleep on the R2 follow up after blocking, that poo poo is like my bread n butter

Yeah the guard counter is great, breaks a lot of enemies' posture immediately

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

goferchan posted:

Looking pretty cool now. Also, I BEEN saying this.

Where'd you get that armor? Looks sick

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

With how big of a difference damage types seem to make sometimes it's like the return of Demon's Souls

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One of the teleport traps took me to a place that looked a lot like Anor Londo where I killed a big giant and got a talisman, it was pretty cool

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Still haven't found a weapon I like better than the Bloodhound's Fang, that weapon art has carried me through a lot

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Found a weapon that 100% guarantees I'll be making a Dex/Int build next

why yes I would like a katana that shoots moon lasers, thank you

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

ive been using that for a dozen hours or so and the weapon art is extremely strong. its an awesome weapon

Really loving weapon arts in general in this. I've been using the Bloodhound Fang curved greatsword and that weapon art has carried me through multiple boss fights because it does so much damage and has so much mobility (and it makes you get low to the ground so sometimes enemies just swing over your head)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

I have the Black Knife and it's weapon art makes you flip up into the air and hover while you fire burning red lightning and I've managed to successfully dodge using it a few times and it's so loving sick lol.

That's sick as hell

Normally I feel the urge to use some magic in a Souls game to have something flashy and cool to do but weapon arts are so above and beyond this time that I just want to try every weapon instead

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

goferchan posted:

It's cool how niche but seemingly strong some of the Talisman effects are, there are a few that definitely have me dreaming of ways to build around. Found one that raises attack power when anyone nearby, including myself is poisoned, and it's like a massive 20% attack boost. Thinking about using the dung pie equivalent to give myself a mild case of poison and then going to town

There's a similar one that boosts your attack power if anyone nearby bleeds, which I can immediately see an application for given how strong bleed can be

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ROBO_ERECTUS posted:

I found the end of Edgar's questline after Castle Morne, it didnt have to end this way bro...

Really makes me wonder if there's another way that questline could go but I couldn't see anything else I could do.

I wonder if the dead bodies in that shack where Edgar invades you are really the people who killed Irina, and if so, if you go there first could you kill them first and save her? Really don't know but I'll probably try it on NG+ or my next playthrough just to see.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

whatis posted:

where do you run into him? hunted up and down and never found anything

There's a shack in western Liurnia of the Lakes called the Revenger's Shack. After you see him mourning over his daughter's body you'll run into him there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

26 hours in and I've still only done one legacy dungeon

I did wander around Liurnia a bunch and stumbled into the mine in the north-east which it turns out isn't just a mine but the way to Altus Rise with a sick magma dragon boss and also starting Ranni's questline.

Still haven't found any nice-looking armor though so I'm still wearing the default Confessor cloak