Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Kongming posted:

One thing I liked about Sekiro over the other From games is no Stamina, so I'm wondering if that's back in Elden Ring. They didn't show any UI.

No stamina worked great in Sekiro but I think it's an important balancing tool in a game where you have tons of different equipment and weapons and movesets. I'd be surprised if it didn't exist in Elden Ring but I wouldn't mind a more generous stamina system like Bloodborne's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

So there is stamina but it only depletes in combat, so you can sprint and jump around as much as you want while traveling. That's pretty cool

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

extremebuff posted:

there are now ways to put enemies to sleep, and you have a sleep resist stat lol

It resists sleep and "bouts of madness" 👀

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I got the tude now posted:

I should ask for time off.

I'm taking 5 days 👍 So hyped

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Spells come out of the tip of your staff and not your hand now :worship:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Oh gently caress yes

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

HolePisser1982 posted:

seriously thinking about buying a bottle of champagne

I'm going to 🥂

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

In my massive VR rig so all you can see is my big lips moving with no game audio: Oh my God.

Oh my God, dude.

..Gwyndolyn's Knave Purse! Of course.

Lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/the-jolly-cooperation-of-localising-dark-souls

This is a cool read. I didn't realize that basically one guy has done all the english localization for everything from Demon's Souls to Elden Ring. There are also several examples where he'd come up with the english phrasing for something and then Miyazaki would go back and change the Japanese script to match

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Dutchy posted:

Not to be too personal but last fall my dad got a foot amputated and he lives in a deeply rural part of Texas where even the disability & welfare offices and stuff often don't have wheelchair ramps, those handicap buttons to open doors, etc and it's insane to spend 3-4 months talking to him about this and all the various mundane ways he could and occasionally does eat poo poo, and then reflect on years of various Chief Editors of Accessibility and Criminal Erotica complaining about lack of quest markers, intentional static difficulty curves, digital spiders, and being asked if Spelunky 2 is good even though you're working from home during a freaking pandemic, like it's in any way on the same continuum.

Not to be too personal but my father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen-year-old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent, I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard, really. At the age of twelve, I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I suggest you try it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lmao

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Cheers gamers 🥂

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I can't believe the game is not only out, but it's as good or better than I wanted it to be, and I also have the next 4 days off work to play it. Incredible

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I keep forgetting I can jump to dodge attacks, I feel like I'm going to be much more powerful when I work that into my combat rhythm

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I've been playing for like 2 hours as Wretch and I'm still in the diaper lol. Found some armor for sale but there's too much other poo poo I want to spend my runes on

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I think this is really the coolest game I've ever played. So overwhelmed by the amount of stuff everywhere

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Even the trash enemies like the little imps have really fun movesets with lots of dodges and fakeouts. I feel like just basic combat swinging a sword around is the most fun it's ever been, you still have to commit but the extra mobility over dark souls feels awesome. Can't wait to get invaded

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Still haven't found the chest everyone's talking about but I found a different early game teleport to way off on the very edge of the map and it's terrifying out here lol. The Nightmare in Bloodborne never really clicked for me but this feels like what they were going for trying to create an alien hostile environment.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

stratdax posted:

So the game design really is just "die to some enemy 60 times until you memorize exactly which frame to press the block and counterattack buttons"? Like there's no way of knowing or reading or planning how to engage with an enemy until you die a bunch?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I tried to show him some grace

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

https://twitter.com/twothickscoops/status/1497120301682884608?s=21

Lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

herculon posted:

Maybe I’m missing something, but horseback combat does feel a bit weak. I’m at a loss on how to effectively fight other enemies also riding horses. Maybe a weapon other than an axe is better

I got the opposite impression lol. I've managed to kill a few things I probably shouldn't be able to just because of how hard you are to hit, it feels a little OP. You can use bows, spells, and throwing items on the horse too

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I think Margit is absolutely the toughest early game boss any of these games have ever had lol. It's pretty cool design, you get comfortable following the main path and then get railroaded into a hard rear end fight just to give you the message that you absolutely can go do something else instead

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Think I might be a strength/faith kind of guy this time. Less than two hours.

Admittedly haven't put any points into faith yet but I think that's where I'm gonna wind up too; all the pyromancy stuff getting rolled into faith in this game kind of sealed the deal for me. Also haven't found an implement for casting INT spells after hours in the game lol.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I can't see online summon signs, but people can summon me, so I've been trying to help them with the first boss

they keep running right in and dying lmao

Are you using the item that makes them show up? It's the Furlcalling Finger Remedy, i think it's one of the basic recipes you get when you buy the crafting kit

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

mbt posted:

The spectral sword sorcery is insane. This poo poo does so much damage. Does enchanting a weapon with that sorcery make it deal damage based on int as well?

Yeah I got the holy enchantment and it's great, it just slaps like an extra 70 damage on my sword. I am absolutely tearing through stuff now, I feel really powerful.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

extremebuff posted:

merchants selling you little tips about the world is great lol

"Only an oaf wouldst buy this tip"

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

what does this icon mean dude

i'm losing my mind trying to figure it out

It means you can use spirit summoning (not co-op but actual summons) in the current area. Some places it's disabled

edit: some of the other little icons that appear below the HP bar are real stumpers though, I swear there used to be a way to get tooltips on them in the status menu but it doesn't seem you can anymore. I know the red square with the down arrow is a max HP debuff you get from letting a lady hug you and it doesn't go away until you use the item she gave you

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

roach coach posted:

I wish you knew what it’s like for this to be the first FromSoftware game you’d ever played, loving hell this is madness

I talked my friend into getting it yesterday morning who had never touched one and now Steam says he's played for 11 hours and also beat Margit before I did lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I keep clicking and holding R3 expecting to enter some kind of "detective vision" mode to scan for items

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lol I was delighted to see that altering armor to remove a cape slightly affects the equip weight

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lol take a close look at the "weapons" that the nomad merchant NPCs are holding next time you see them. This game is so weird and cool

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

East Limgrave NPC spoiler. This is probably the sickest armor set I have ever seen in any video game. Also his dialogue is ripped right out of Bloodborne

That guy is bad rear end and he's my friend. Don't neglect to check back in on him

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

I think he’s a little sus but so is pretty much every single other NPC in the game so far

I'm honestly pretty engaged by it, it's really hard to not just infinitely keep exploring but I'm pressing on in Stormveil right now just because I really want to see what's happening with the story which wasn't really the case in Souls games

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Wasn't sure how I felt about all the crafting mats until I realized that they're just an excuse for Miyazaki to write 100 more item descriptions

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

Lol

Don’t think I’ve crafted anything yet

If you're using a bow or crossbow it's a really nice feature, makes it easy to stock up on elemental/status effect arrows. Honestly one of the few things I don't like about this game is the d-pad item bar system, I didn't mind it in Souls but now consumables are really fun and plentiful and it's a pain to switch between a bunch of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

absolutely anything posted:

im typing the phrase "impzone" into my group passwords and well i guess we'll see what happens

I tried the goon LLJK one and it actually lets you view bloodstain replays of people in the group which is nice, those seem to be broken otherwise. I left though because I got a weird popup about how someone in the group had defeated something and I didn't want to spoil anything