Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
It seems like using magic is pretty fluid which is something I was hoping for. If you can chain magic and melee together as seamlessly as the sword and prosthetics in Sekiro that would be great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Miyazaki has said there is a stamina bar but they think it's less restrictive than in earlier games.

I'm really curious what the pace of combat, damage, etc. is gonna look like. Since this is all the first area enemy attacks look pretty telegraphed but that's usually the case with the early areas in From games

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Same because I want more combat data than an Umbrella executive but I also want to go in blind for exploration

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Apparently Elden Ring is bringing back powerstancing. Big Dark Souls 2 confirmed, GOTY

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
As long as "deep respect" is in there I'm good

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Dancer is so loving cool looking

The footsteps are the coolest sound effect in the game

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Margit took me more tries than any other real first boss in a FROM game and I felt like a god when I finally beat him

Same. I explored around Limgrave a bit afterwards and found out there's an item you can buy that apparently prevents him from jumping temporarily. Probably would have helped but I was glad to find out for a future run.

The scale of this game is absolutely insane. It has all the cool high fantasy elements from DS2 but in a super refined package. I probably fought 10 or 15 bosses in the overworld before ever going to Stormveil

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

HolePisser1982 posted:

lol, my highest level weapon is a +2 and this npc just gave me a +8 as a reward. thinkin i might be a little underleveled

Based on where I was exploring there were almost none of those low level smithing stones anywhere. It seems like Stormveil has more but I'm surprised I haven't found a merchant who sells them

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I spent the last hour trying to beat Preceptor Miriam in Liurnia and it's 20 times harder than Margit or Godrick. I have no idea if it's literally bugged or this is how they intended it to be

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

EmmyOk posted:

I think he's killed me like 40 times now lol but I've come so close. He's just a real hard boss for me I guess. His second phase is so nasty and takes so long to get through each time

I'll put this in tags just in case but you can get an item at this location that can help, and tbh you'll want to check it out anyway.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
That deer spirit thing they showed off in the trailers is my favorite boss so far. drat this game rules

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Quarterroys posted:

Heard some singing as I was near a cliff, and 😬

lol yep. I wonder if anyone has translated it yet?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

scary ghost dog posted:

most important thing ive learned in the whole game: you can open illusory walls by rolling into them. glad they didnt change this from ds3

...there are illusory walls?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Kongming posted:

I hate the Academy of Raya Lucaria so far. It looks cool but...Fuckin' wizards, man...

The loving Flexile Sentry enemies are even worse if you don't kill them quickly enough

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I was fighting the first boss in Raya Lucaria academy with wolf summons. Got the boss down to about 5% HP when it killed me, but the wolves finished it off before my death animation was over so I beat it.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

ROBO_ERECTUS posted:

Bleed is good, does about 2 or 3 charged heavy attacks worth of dmg Id say.

This. I'm mostly just a caster but for magic-resistant enemies I just hit them with the spinning flail weapon art and watch their health bar melt away.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Harrow posted:

26 hours in and I've still only done one legacy dungeon

I did wander around Liurnia a bunch and stumbled into the mine in the north-east which it turns out isn't just a mine but the way to Altus Rise with a sick magma dragon boss and also starting Ranni's questline.

Still haven't found any nice-looking armor though so I'm still wearing the default Confessor cloak

I did this boss yesterday and really wish I had the stats for his drop. It seems like armor drops are scripted because sometimes I'll kill a tough enemy and he drops the entire set. I've found one full set off the beaten path in Raya Lucaria but otherwise it seems like different merchants sell the baseline stuff

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Harrow posted:

In general I noticed Elden Ring generally wants you to have like 15-20 of whatever the "opposite" stat of your main one is, whether it's Str, Dex, Int, or Faith. There are great Str weapons that require like 18-20 Dex, great Dex weapons that require 18-20 Str, similar story for sorceries and miracles.

It does seem like there's a fair amount of crossover. Makes me wonder if there's a staff that can cast miracles or a sacred seal that can cast sorceries. I assume there must be in a game this big. I'm mostly int-dex but it does seem like faith offers a lot in terms of healing, stealth, and pyromancy

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

No Dignity posted:

craziest moment today using one of the teleporters in the four bellfries to go to 'crumbling lands' and finding farum azula O_O

This was how I ended my session just now and I was not expecting that at all

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Man, when NPCs don't give you a hint where they're going next as part of their quest it's like "good luck because I'll never find you in this massive open world." I'm trying not to look stuff up in this first run because the sense of mystery is amazing but it's getting too tempting now

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I found a dungeon in Liurnia with a secret second boss behind an illusory wall and my mind is reeling at the possibility that there could be more of them elsewhere

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Bicyclops posted:

for all the "you definitely need to level this" advice out there, it feels like you can make most things work, but one way or another you will also lament all the cool weapons and armor that don't work for it. i've been holding off because everyone has been talking about all the cool str weapons but maybe i just want to be a dex fighter

Respec is possible after a certain story boss so you can always change it up. There are also talismans that give you like +5 to a given stat if you need it in a pinch. The crazy thing to me is that there are so many items with like 60-70 required in a stat.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

ROBO_ERECTUS posted:

I feel like I missed a bunch of questlines, everyone from my Roundtable is leaving or dead...

I am curious though, does anyone how to continue Nephali's questline? I have gave her The Stormhawk King ashes but nothing else has happened.

Also gave the girl all those grapes, kinda feels like a bad path, but we shall see.

An rear end in a top hat sorcerer gave me some vial of blue potion and said I should make sure Nephali drinks it. I'm like 90% sure it's poison though, although I did another sorcerer quest and he seemed shady at first but actually seems on the up and up.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I like doing the "deep in thought" gesture when a faraway enemy is walking towards me, then hitting them with a magic great-arrow and doing the gesture again

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Did a bunch of stuff in Caelid and found a whole area I hadn't explored yet. Went to the top of the Divine Tower there and back down again from the inside. There's a really tough boss in there that I'm definitely underleved for because a single melee attack will one-shot me, but I've gotten it down to 25% HP. Found a time-of-day boss at the secluded merchant's shack that also one-shot me.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Veev posted:

I got a unique arcane/bleed weapon and with arcane pumped anything that bleed works on just instantly evaporates, it feels like cheating.

Arcane seems like it would make some ridiculous builds. I found a seal that scales your incantations with it so you could do a bunch of dragon-summoning and insanity spells and probably wreck everything

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

buffalo all day posted:

25 hrs in, level 40 and finally going to liurna. one handing the golden halberd and it rules. best game

also went back and used key in the starting area, the boss bugged out like 1/2 way through and just sat there while I wrecked it. must have run through/past the killer roller thing a dozen times and just learned you can kill it with pots. finally understanding all the messages to look up. only game I’ve played that makes you feel like a badass and a complete retard at the same time

I beat this boss yesterday. Are you kidding me

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

net cafe scandal posted:

That boss glitched out at the halfway mark for me too btw. Would have felt bad about cheesing that win if he wasn’t such a massive piece of poo poo and probably wouldn’t have gotten stuck in the wall geometry in the first place if he had just calmed down down for two seconds

I jumped over one of its tail swipes which was the first time in like 60 hours that I thought to jump during a boss fight

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

net cafe scandal posted:

For example Crucible Knights are loving impossible unless there’s an elevator shaft you can jebait them into, Looney Tunes style

I've killed three of these guys so far and each time I had to stay as far away as possible and queue up a bunch of magic glintblades or Loretta's Greatbow. Sometimes I would just run around a pillar and trust the homing spell to do the rest. Their incantations look so sick that I definitely want to do a faith build sometime

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
If you haven't gotten inside one of those bell turtle buildings yet it's definitely worth it

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

NickRoweFillea posted:

That giant jar in Caelid and his three rear end in a top hat buddies…gently caress them

Is this that Coliseum with the big jar statue out front? Whenever I go over there it seems like I can't interact with anything. The doors are sealed shut

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

That Little Demon posted:

check the ground

drat I never would have noticed that. Thanks

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Finally went to the area north of Liurnia. I tried fighting Radahn a few times first but only managed to take off like a fifth of his HP. Now I'm in a castle that is sinking into a poison swamp. Thank you Miyazaki

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

ROBO_ERECTUS posted:

Wow Shaded Castle is gnarly, just poison, rot, basilisk, undead and perfumers all around. I got a Perfumer piece though which is pretty nice, has good status and non-physical resistances and looks like a Ghili suit. Plus I got the ancestor horns, so I look like a shaman. Dont know if I should just charge into the capital, go to Redmane Castle, or explore more Altus Plateau/ reach the volcano manor

The boss of Shaded Castle is one of the toughest I've seen so far. I spent an hour on him this morning and did only minimal damage on even my best runs. Dude's moveset is crazy and the boss arena gives you no space to maneuver

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Finally got to 70 INT so I can use both Rennala's staff and spell

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

grieving for Gandalf posted:

is her staff worth using? I'm burned after upgrading a staff up to +14 and the meteor staff just straight up being better

You can get it to S scaling after like 4 somber stone upgrades and it has a weapon art that can be useful in close quarters. Kinda depends on what spells you like or want to build towards. I used the meteor staff until I could wield this one and yeah it's super dependable, especially if you use gravity spells. Since you can't upgrade the meteor staff I would guess that others can reach a better S rank through upgrades.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Finished Sellen’s quest

She has a quest? Do you have to buy all her sorceries first or something? I was in the Weeping Peninsula and found a ruins where someone who looked like her was chained to the wall but Sellen or Selivus never commented on it

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
There have been at least five times when I thought "okay the map can't expand anymore" and I've been proven wrong

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Bleed kicks so much rear end that I’ve been using the starting uchigatana for the entire game lol.

I definitely want to do a bleed build next time. I've found so many cool weapons for it that I can't use for now.

Everyone in my roundtable is dead or gone who knows where. Underground I found D's brother but he was all muttering and crazy because I accidentally killed D whoops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

American McGay posted:

I gave them the armor because I feel compelled to do every quest thing but now I'm regretting it cause it hasn't gone anywhere and I was using the bracers because they were sick looking.

Same. I thought it would change things but oh well