Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

One thing I liked about Sekiro over the other From games is no Stamina, so I'm wondering if that's back in Elden Ring. They didn't show any UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I've seen some talk of poor performance on PC, can a pc gamer report back. Also it was from a woman so she probably hosed something up in the settings.

I just finished preloading on Steam so I'll let Imps know how it runs tomorrow at 6PM

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Of course all these people have loving FFXIV avatars.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I want to play Elden Ring.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Grabbing the goal posts before summoning my spectral steed and galloping off over the horizon.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I remember when Sekiro came out everyone was crying about it as usual, while I watched a paraplegic guy play and beat it no problem lol

I've seen pro FG players who have no use of their arms press buttons by using their face/mouth and they placed high at majors. And those are supposed to be the "hardest games". The fact is you're pushing loving buttons on a controller, a goddamn monkey could beat these games given enough time.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Kongming posted:

I just finished preloading on Steam so I'll let Imps know how it runs tomorrow at 6PM

I'm a man of my word, and it runs great.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

There is an easy mode in this game after all. Just lay down a message that everyone loves, you get a small heal every time someone upvotes your messages. I put a message that said "Behold, bug!" next to some bugs in a cave and am well over 100 upvotes already, constantly getting free heals. It's absurd.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

American McGay posted:

Is that what happens when your dude randomly starts glowing sometimes? I can't figure out what any of these little buff icons mean and its pissing me off.

You get a big prompt that says "Message appraised" in the middle of the screen when it happens. It's honestly kind of obnoxious and am considering deleting the message lol.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Trying to figure out how to get into this castle without going through the front door and ended up in a completely different area. This game is pretty cool.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Got to Mirgit, did pretty well on my first attempt, thought that he was kind of overblown. I'll get him next time. Proceed to die 10000 times without even reaching second phase. I need to step away for a bit.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Like, the guy isn't even "hard" in the traditional sense, his tells are really ponderous and obvious. But I keep loving up my rolls. And I do no damage with my current build.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

you're already on your way to discovering one of the most important souls strategies for these kinds of difficulty walls: imp magic

Yeah I beat him but it still took a while. I even resorted to using a shield for a bit but in the end I just went back to dodge rolling and flinging fireballs at him since my weapon sucks rear end.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

definitely not a big fan of horse combat and hoping it's as avoidable as possible

Fighting mounted enemies is easier on horseback for me. Like the Tree Sentinel at the start of the game is much easier on horseback. I fight everything else on foot unless it's fodder enemies that die in one hit.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I feel like enemies pursue you more in this game compared to past souls games where they usually give up quickly trying to chase. Especially in the open world, which I suppose makes sense.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I got access to roundtable before encountering Margit but I also circumvented Stormveil Castle entirely while exploring. Then when I rested at a grace rune beyond Stormveil I was invited to roundtable. I'm not certain exactly what triggers it.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

right arm posted:

lol I hate margit. like 12 deaths so far. need more coffee

I just met the lord of the castle and well...it gets worse lol

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I'm stopping for tonight but I feel like there's still more in the castle I have yet to explore, so I'll do that before I challenge him again. I was at my wit's end for a while cause I was stuck at a checkpoint and unable to find another one for like an hour.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

goferchan posted:

I know the red square with the down arrow is a max HP debuff you get from letting a lady hug you and it doesn't go away until you use the item she gave you

Oh poo poo are you for real. Never letting her touch me again.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I've cleared out all of Stormveil but the boss of the castle is just too strong for me right now. I get the feeling it expects you to explore the open world a bit before you fight any of the lords proper.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yeah this is where I'm at too, I think I've missed some other stuff in the castle too but the later enemies are too strong snd scary. I took a break to wander away to the north-east for a while and met a horrible tree monster that kills me in one hit

I actually take back what I said before. I beat the boss and I actually think he's easier than Margit, moveset wise. But he has a mountain of HP compared to Margit so it's more of a marathon.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

HolePisser1982 posted:

just hollering in my living room lol

I've screamed in horror several times at ambushes lol

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Mordekai posted:

This loving game! The castle have to be one of the best designed video game areas I've played.

Yeah I loved Stormveil, excited to check out the other big dungeons.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

This was a good one

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I've just been wearing whatever I get as a drop off of enemies that has higher defense so long as it's not too heavy. I haven't found any full armor sets as pick ups yet.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Try finger, but hole

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Bosses also seem to aggressively attempt to punish healing attempts in this game compared to what I remember from previous souls games. You usually need to wait for them to be in recovery from an attack or have considerable distance before you try to drink. They don’t seem to care as much if you’re refilling mana, though.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Found a dungeon with a boss at the end that was made entirely out of crystal, it was really slow and easy to dodge but it took no damage from anything. Fire attacks did like 10 damage and backstabbing it did 20. Barely nudged its health bar. I decided to just let it kill me and abandon the 8000 or so runes in its lair. Dunno if there's some gimmick or damage type that works on it.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I've been exploring an underground area I found and I looked at the map and it's nearly as large as the entirety of Eastern Limgrave. Insane poo poo.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Kongming posted:

Found a dungeon with a boss at the end that was made entirely out of crystal, it was really slow and easy to dodge but it took no damage from anything. Fire attacks did like 10 damage and backstabbing it did 20. Barely nudged its health bar. I decided to just let it kill me and abandon the 8000 or so runes in its lair. Dunno if there's some gimmick or damage type that works on it.

After getting a tip I killed it. It is indeed a gimmick boss. Riposting it (maybe backstabs work to but I backstabbed it like 20 times and nothing happened), by either parrying it or using jump attacks to stagger it, will cause it to crack and take normal damage afterwards. Extremely easy boss moveset wise, just gotta figure the gimmick out. The reward was well worth it.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Found a boss in the open world that's just a palette swapped Asylum Demon. Gotta love the classics.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I hate the Academy of Raya Lucaria so far. It looks cool but...Fuckin' wizards, man...

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Rennala first phase is really tedious and the second phase is kicking my rear end. Gonna step away for a while and maybe look for more sacred tears in the overworld. My crimson flask only heals like half of my health bar right now.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Pablo Nergigante posted:

By the time I beat her I could get the first phase down super quick. Still kinda tedious but visually and thematically really cool

It's fine but there's like a 50/50 chance one of the uh...things to break her shield will spawn behind a pillar or something and I have to go scrambling to find it.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

American McGay posted:

I feel like my stats are all hosed up and I'm not sure why. I've got like 15 in everything and then like 30 in my main stat Faith, and my stamina bar is almost double my health bar but that seems opposite of most other people I've seen playing. Does your starting class have any effect on your HP/FP/stamina distribution?

Do you have a health down debuff. It looks like a red square with a down arrow under your healthbar. There are several causes, either you let the lady in roundtable hug you or some equipment lowers your health.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

My endurance is like 13 and i have plenty of stamina, yeah. I think the stamina in this game is just fairly loving generous.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Some of the enemies in Caelid are insane, particularly what I can only describe as a dinosaur with a dog's head

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

HolePisser1982 posted:

its not a proper first playthrough if half your npcs dont end up dead or begging for death

I just remembered there was a girl in Liurna who asked me to find a thief who stole an important necklace. That was uh...15 hours ago. Hope she's doin alright.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Ended up in Weeping Peninsula and drat I guess I was supposed to come here way earlier cause the enemies are really weak. Just riding by a group of enemies on horseback and oneshotting them all. I feel like some kind of marauder, it owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I was relying on incantations a lot, Lightning Spear in particular, but as I level up I feel like I'm relying on it less and less. I have a kick rear end scythe that scales off Faith now and it has a weapon art that costs less FP than spear and does more damage, with the downside being the projectile is slower and travels at a weird arc so on smaller enemies it will usually just hit the ground. So I just two hand this bad boy and go to town.