Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

a nice way to get the Generate experience without playing Generate

I had my first Nightmare win the other day and it was almost entirely due to the "replace all blanks with your middle side" blessing making my level 4 characters playable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I gave dancer's left side 10 pips and it was amazing

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Sometimes you just gotta bet it all on a 10 pip rainbow nonsense side

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I had rainbow chaos wand once. I lost without ever rolling it.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Einwand posted:

I had rainbow chaos wand once. I lost without ever rolling it.

I had a rainbow chaos wand once. It’s how I got the “kill a boss on the first turn” achievement.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
The duality of man dice

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
golden chalice is... a silly item. a very silly item.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

As completely busted as a couple sides that give infinite mana and shields are, I still managed to almost wipe against an Inevitable x2 (or x3 maybe?). Heaven into Nightmare is a very fun way to play.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Is it just me or are the autogenerated heroes often really bad? I’m doing runs on the generate mode and have a hard time getting anywhere.

Star fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 26, 2024

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Star posted:

Is it just me or are the autogenerated heroes often really bad? I’m doing runs on the generate mode and have a hard time getting anywhere.

yeah, the Reliable Blessing is extra good for them (like mentioned earlier), also Item blessings because there are more good generated items than good generated heroes

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tann please add a setting to the mobile version to force landscape tia

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

They seem to have changed how generate heroes generate from before the big patch, they're almost always horribly lopsided towards the left or left/middle faces with the rest being blank or 1 pip worthless sides generally, and it makes them mostly really bad even if the random tactics/spells can be neat.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Relyssa posted:

Also confess that you rigged it so that Meddler always rolls the bone side!!

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Knowing Tann, (hiiiii :3), there's a decent chance it is truly random, and true randomness often feels less random than a curated one.

The original iPod random song system had to be tweaked because it was actually random, and people complained that it was giving weird patterns and playing the same songs over and over. It was later changed to a weighted system where recently played songs were less likely to play for a while if I recall. Actual randomness fits poorly with the human brain which is over tuned to find patterns.

Things like adding keywords could have skewed the odds around on a truly random set of sides as well. But I don't have any inside info on how the heroes are generated

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Relyssa posted:

I would really like this feature too, I'm also part of the "never going to enable auto rotate ever" club.

JossiRossi posted:

The original iPod random song system had to be tweaked because it was actually random, and people complained that it was giving weird patterns and playing the same songs over and over. It was later changed to a weighted system where recently played songs were less likely to play for a while if I recall. Actual randomness fits poorly with the human brain which is over tuned to find patterns.
I love this

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 26, 2024

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Relyssa posted:

Can't you go landscape, and then disable screen rotatoin?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

CainFortea posted:

Can't you go landscape, and then disable screen rotatoin?

The game always starts as portrait and then I have to force a rotation into landscape. Having the option to lock landscape would save me some minor annoyance.

Rascyc posted:

I would really like this feature too, I'm also part of the "never going to enable auto rotate ever" club.

Yeah, same. I don't use auto-rotate and never will.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I think Orange and Green generated heroes are typically the biggest offenders of 2 sides, one with 12 pips, one with 1. Probably because there’s so many actual heroes in those pools with few sides and big pips.

Blue/yellow also guilty based on rolling a Student/Eccentric type distribution.

I think you notice it less with non-Gen runs because you only pick bad distributions when you have items to make up for it. Also the stock heroes have better sides when they have few sides. Sometimes you get that gen green with a Revive 4 and nothing else, or the Gen orange with an Attack 11 and a Cloak and that’s it.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Managed to clear Brutal! Shoutout to monster era which contributed 13 points but is pretty manageable if you get a good start. Had to do it in choose party mode and drop in a cat to powerlevel my heroes :v:

I'm now messing with textmod and trying to generate my own monsters. It's a really stupendously flexible system -- only issue at the moment is that for monsters there's no way to randomly add them into the pool so once I'm done I'll probably assemble a paste mode that has a few hard-coded fights.

quote:

Bee.hsv.-5:0:10.n.Wasp.t.Bandit.sd.9-4:9-4:7-2:7-2:7-2:9-2
Bees, but you can pick a swarm apart with careful overkilling.

quote:

(Alpha.img.cyclops).i.(self.Quick Nap^1).n.Argos.sd.3-4:16-3:3-3:3-3:16-2:16-2
"sleeping ogre" -- Cyclops variant that uses self.Quick Nap^1 so it has all blanks the first turn.

quote:

Slimer.hsv.30:0:10.n.Gooper.sd.23-2:23-2:27-4:27-4:12-3:12-2.i.col.k.sticky.i.col.k.share.i.left.k.sticky.i.left.k.share
Slimer variant that adds sticky to all sides of heroes it hits, with two more standard weaken sides.

quote:

jinx.Rise.n.Necromancer.hp.5.sd.22-2:22-1:15-1:15-1:2-3:2-3.i.left2.k.inflictboned
Necromancer that raises all enemies as bones when they die. Instead of summoning bones, they have two sides that have inflictboned instead.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

JossiRossi posted:

Knowing Tann, (hiiiii :3), there's a decent chance it is truly random, and true randomness often feels less random than a curated one.

True randomness is a toggleable option, which implies that without it you shouldn't expect it

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I guess someone might tell me I'm wrong, but I feel like I'm 99% sure that toggle only applies to the dice (for those people who can't get rid of the nagging thought that the physics engine doesn't supply sufficiently random rolls)

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Dancer posted:

I guess someone might tell me I'm wrong, but I feel like I'm 99% sure that toggle only applies to the dice (for those people who can't get rid of the nagging thought that the physics engine doesn't supply sufficiently random rolls)

That's my understanding as well, and hi, I'm the people with that nagging feeling.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Heaven is surprisingly fun. Somehow my housecat became my best party member in killing everything before the turn really starts:

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!
The generated heroes sure are something:

The bonus on the cat is an additional L0 green hero, completely defeating the purpose of the cat.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

4 cats + anything else will always be ridiculously fun if you can get it rolling.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Relyssa posted:

4 cats + anything else will always be ridiculously fun if you can get it rolling.

It's pretty easy to get rolling, cats are one of the strongest L1s out of the box to make up for the "penalty" of not leveling.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

T0 item idea:
Hypochondria: If hero is not at full hp, they believe they are dying.

(Niche uses for rescue sides)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

tbh that sounds more like a higher level one, like T2 or something - that'd be great for deathwish too

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Yeah, that actually sounds really helpful for a lot of stuff, I like it as an idea.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

the holy poopacy posted:

It's pretty easy to get rolling, cats are one of the strongest L1s out of the box to make up for the "penalty" of not leveling.

Can someone give me advice with that? I keep trying 4 cats + T0 Green to get the Choose-Party Unfair goal, and it keeps flopping.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Quackles posted:

Can someone give me advice with that? I keep trying 4 cats + T0 Green to get the Choose-Party Unfair goal, and it keeps flopping.

You don't want the 5th hero to be green. I'm not sure what the best color is, but it's not that.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Dancer posted:

You don't want the 5th hero to be green. I'm not sure what the best color is, but it's not that.

Yeah, but the achievement specifically is for beating Choose-Party on Unfair with 5 heroes of the same color.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Quackles posted:

Take Coffin when offered.

You'll get two overleveled heroes and you'll still have 5 heroes of the same color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Take Coffin when offered.

You'll get two overleveled heroes and you'll still have 5 heroes of the same color.

Ooh, good idea. Thanks!