Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Shwqa posted:

Just wait till you try a team of all grays...

Ok but also how the hell do you deal with Troll with all Greys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Concurred posted:

Pray (also do it on normal and get one of the good blessings to help you out)

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

good rear end video game, played it nonstop for a couple weeks & excited to jump back in when there's new stuff!!

only critique is that the current difficulty settings feel a little awkward; hard is relatively trivial once you figure out the pitfalls (on a 9 game winstreak currently, and see 30+ streaks on the leaderboards), while unfair is just brutal. cursed mode is the sweet spot, but typically requires a full run of ramp-up time before it gets tricky, which is a little too much raw time investment for something i wanna do on my phone. not sure if you can extract any useful data from feedback like this, since difficulty is so wildly subjective, but figured i'd toss it out there.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Is there any RNG manipulation or such for enemy behavior, specific with targeting? or is it strictly random for attacks that don't have specific targeting properties (ie. targets the first and last member). Similarly I assume the dice, especially enemy dice, are truly random or close enough right? It's not like StS where enemies will often have attack patterns with minor RNG checking things like making sure some attacks can't happen twice in sequence I imagine.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Concurred posted:

Try to get Seedling early

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

Funny then, that such darkness gives me hope

_jink posted:

good rear end video game, played it nonstop for a couple weeks & excited to jump back in when there's new stuff!!

only critique is that the current difficulty settings feel a little awkward; hard is relatively trivial once you figure out the pitfalls (on a 9 game winstreak currently, and see 30+ streaks on the leaderboards), while unfair is just brutal. cursed mode is the sweet spot, but typically requires a full run of ramp-up time before it gets tricky, which is a little too much raw time investment for something i wanna do on my phone. not sure if you can extract any useful data from feedback like this, since difficulty is so wildly subjective, but figured i'd toss it out there.

I wish the Unfair curse choices were a little more balanced. The first three options are much much easier than the last three. The -1 die roll is also an unfun option, in my opinion, because sometimes it just ends a run and there was literally nothing you can do. If you get a bad roll during the first turn of a fight, especially past level 12 or so, you are just screwed. Having only one reroll jacks up the chance of that happening to an aggravating level.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I wish you had some more time with a maxed out party, but that's just how I always feel with roguelike games. It's why I like RoR2 so much, cause you can just push it and laugh as your absurd combination works long past you being able to keep track, until you just suddenly die or something.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Grondoth posted:

I wish you had some more time with a maxed out party, but that's just how I always feel with roguelike games. It's why I like RoR2 so much, cause you can just push it and laugh as your absurd combination works long past you being able to keep track, until you just suddenly die or something.

Yeah I'd like to do this! I had some testing levels 21-24 with ridiculous item rewards and enemies but it needed more polish. Plus I need to figure out some way of triggering them though because I don't want it to be part of the "core experience". (also stop the easy sorcerer infinite!)

Photux posted:

I wish the Unfair curse choices were a little more balanced.

I'm working on this at the moment. I'm trying to rebalance and combine all the curses so I can offer a random selection for unfair; "Choose curses to a total value of 15" or something.

Tann fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 21, 2021

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
I got this last night and have been playing it far too much, echoing the goon consensus that this is a fantastic game.
Took two attempts but just beat hard difficulty! Turns out bind+poison stacking hard counters the dragon lol

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
what's the unlock condition for Jester?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Countblanc posted:

what's the unlock condition for Jester?

Just undo your actions a bunch of times.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Shwqa posted:

Like some kind of clown.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Shwqa posted:

never

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
I have got to the last fight on normal half a dozen times now and still can't beat it. But it's so fun to keep trying.

Edit: Finally got it with

bgreman fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 23, 2021

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
Thoughts on the game:

Love - phone interface. Way better than slay the spire, fun to click on stuff and easy to understand. Couple edge cases that could be improved (hidden dice by mana, and sometimes I accidently stop rolling instead of reroll)

Keyword system for upgrades - so fun and clever how they can all sit next to each other and each does a distinct thing. My favorite keywords keep changing as I play

High level items - lots of fun puzzles here, items with interesting trade offs. I like the items that play with the physical layout of the faces, it makes me think of the characters in different ways (now I can think of ability positions and how left side stuff is often more powerful)

Fun diverse enemy design

Lots of different modes

Gradual unlocks

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
Things I'd like to see different -
Early items are boring - In Slay the Spire (StS) every attack card is better than your starter so they are all good to take. Also, every relic gives a constant bonus. This incentivises using new stuff every game, bc there is value in building towards whatever you get. It means that StS rubs get novel right away, after a few floors. In Slice and Dice (s&d) I have trouble finding uses for early items like the rusty arms or the "make middle two mana". They are much more fun with random heroes since then you can make your second warrior more of a mage or whatever.

Adding many of the curses doesn feel fun (to me) - I like the curses that add weird wrinkles to the game like enemies with an A get more health, but the flat buff or debuff ones just make the game more of a slog for me.

Power curve - might not be the best heading, but the thing I like in games like this is snowballing and beating tough odds but I don't feel like that happens here. Like, I want an option to take on an extra challenge to get guaranteed more powerful, and then an extra extra challenge to really push my build. In StS, elites give you a relic that is always some kind of boost and then the heart is a challenge you can opt into if you think you have the chops. I contrast this to Hades, where I there is a whole system of enemy buff keywords (makes them clone on death, makes them have to be killed in an order) that folks don't often take bc it makes enemies way harder for no benefit.

Challenge options - I barely ever take these because the items on offer don't have any value to my current build and there's no guarantee that I'd get future synergies

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

I agree with pretty much all of the above

i've been playing this a bit on my downtime and it's definitely a great game

for reference i've completed a run in every mode on every difficulty EXCEPT unfair, and in cursed mode my high score is 48 with 10 curses

unfair difficulty: actually unfair. the curses are so hard that my early game strategy was "get on my knees and pray to RNjesus" which failed repeatedly until i gave up

cursed mode: fun poo poo UNTIL you reach the end of a loop. getting thrown back to starter classes AND removing every item AND keeping every curse makes the early game pretty much the same as unfair, which is to say unfair. the blessings you get for completing a loop aren't good enough to balance this

make cursed mode blessings better or at least let me keep some of my items (maybe let me pick 3-5 items I want to keep?)

for long term replayability it would be nice to have some kind of meta currency you get for completing loops that could be spent on things to spice up the increasingly monotonous early game

Raine fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 23, 2021

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Do you also get access to the Windows installers when you unlock the full game in-app?

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Canuckistan posted:

Do you also get access to the Windows installers when you unlock the full game in-app?

You can download an apk if you buy on itch, not the other way around though. People are asking about steam keys too, I haven't decided this all yet.

@Raine @eonblue174

Yes! I agree with some of these, and am working on various hopefully fun stuff. Though maybe not exactly what you're hoping for :)

Raine posted:

the blessings you get for completing a loop aren't good enough to balance this

This is on purpose, I want curse mode to get harder over time. Though I have made it easier to create new modes so I could add some easy infinite play mode? I don't really have infinite content though lol.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

Tann posted:

This is on purpose, I want curse mode to get harder over time.

i totally get that, what i guess i was trying to say is that the difficulty spike going from the end of the loop to losing every item and upgraded characters is dramatic and brutal if you get bad rolls

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Raine posted:

i totally get that, what i guess i was trying to say is that the difficulty spike going from the end of the loop to losing every item and upgraded characters is dramatic and brutal if you get bad rolls

There's definitely an issue where some blessings are substantially better than others, you might have gotten unlucky with that, but I think that's a thing tann specifically said he was working on.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

For items like platinum heart which says "+2 max hp whenever you save an ally", what counts as saving an ally? Is it just any action by a character that saves someone from flashing red? So the obvious one would be healing someone, but what about shielding or killing an enemy to take someone out of flashing red?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

yergacheffe posted:

For items like platinum heart which says "+2 max hp whenever you save an ally", what counts as saving an ally? Is it just any action by a character that saves someone from flashing red? So the obvious one would be healing someone, but what about shielding or killing an enemy to take someone out of flashing red?

Yup, any action you take that saves someone counts.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Cinara posted:

Yup, any action you take that saves someone counts.

Nice, I'll have to try picking it up next time I see it then.

Unrelated, but it seems like cantrips work even if that side is petrified? Just had a dancer roll the 1 damage cantrip on the side that was petrified and it still delivered the 1 free damage. I cannot, however, spend the side as normal since it's petrified.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
Are you sure it didn't petrify after it hit, by striking a basilisk?

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Yeah, you're right. I watched it closely next time and saw that's exactly what happened. So nope, cantrips don't work when petrified.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

man, I got a stalwart and the mithril shield, which makes all shield sides a cantrip, AND the chronos hero with the cantrip that gives you bonus rerolls. I killed the dragon boss by getting my brawler to 12 shields through rerolls then having him punch the dragon to death with his steel attack

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I suspect mithril shields is going to eat a nerf in the next update..

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

wizard - left slot reroll 1

pocket mirror - copy left side to right side

manure - add growth to right side

edit: i just played another loop and im p sure everything i said here is wrong. maybe it was autumn leaf and the time mage? idk i went infinite with rerolls somehow

Raine fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 28, 2021

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

So satisfying

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

norp posted:

So satisfying

:gizz:

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
I got rampage and growth together (using ballet shoes) and I just tore through stuff

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I don't know how you could do it, but it would be cool if there was like a big "FINISH THEM" button that came up when you could do a full board clear with one die like this, and have some neat animation kick off.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Game is good. Have seven bucks, and an atta'boy/girl/person.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I've got about 30 games in, no wins but I did get to lvl 19. My observations so far:

- Fun game! It keeps me coming back. Congrats Tann! You must be very proud.
- No OP runs yet. I assume better unlocks come with time after playing.
- Lvl 1 and 2 items seem a little lackluster. I suppose they're meant to boost you for a bit without making you too OP, but I usually end up with a bunch of unused inventory items. It seems like the generic +hp items are the best since they don't really age out and you can always find a home for them. A 'trade 3 items to get one random item of a higher quality' option would be a good thing.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Farquar posted:

Are you sure it didn't petrify after it hit, by striking a basilisk?

nice debugging :D

Canuckistan posted:

- No OP runs yet. I assume better unlocks come with time after playing.
- Lvl 1 and 2 items seem a little lackluster.

I mostly lock complicated items, not powerful ones. Or sometimes simple ones if it's a funny link with what you do for the achievement.

I'm rebalancing soon so I have been thinking about altering early item power levels. It's tricky though, you're already pretty godlike by the final fight hehe. I have the combining thing in my ideas list somewhere, the challenge reward thing was partially getting stuff set up for that sort of choice.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
I just bought this game purely because it's like the only not gacha that anyone talks about. Turns out it's also pretty fun!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Played the poo poo out of the demo up to and including Unfair, will definitely buy it once I slim down my games backlog a bit, I want more dicey action.

My winning Unfair (demo, so 12 levels) run (Curses of Tough Monsters, Damaged at Start, -1 Reroll) was Rogue, Knight, Warden, (Vampire>)Medic, Evoker.

Turns out getting the "Basic heals/shields gain Cleave" owns on Vamp (with two Heal 5s) and then Warden (along with the "basic shields get +1 power" item) - who then proceeded to charge up Knight (who had +1 shields received) and his Steel abilities.

I also probably died 10-15 times in fights 1-3 with bad rolls and Rat/Archer deathfests lol

Game good.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Finally beat lvl 20 on cursed and I see two choices.

The end?
Respite

What do these do?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Hizawk posted:

Finally beat lvl 20 on cursed and I see two choices.

The end?
Respite

What do these do?!

I didn't mean for them to sound like an either/or thing. You have to click both!
(maybe click "The end?" first)

Tann fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 31, 2021