Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Yay finally beat normal. Dragon on 20. Alchemist rolled 3 poison. Venom rolled the triple poison thing. And then again on the second round. 2-shot the boss lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

I haven't spent nearly enough time with this game yet, but as far as I can tell slime queen is an impassable wall. I just can't manage the multi-hit attacks and the number of minions without losing the battle of attrition.

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014
How broken would it be if Cursed mode let you take an item back with you every time you reset to level one?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

DrHammond posted:

I haven't spent nearly enough time with this game yet, but as far as I can tell slime queen is an impassable wall. I just can't manage the multi-hit attacks and the number of minions without losing the battle of attrition.

I think that Slime Queen is one of the hardest bosses, but definitely not impassable. I try to clear away the smaller slimes as I go, until the queen is at about 7-8 HP at which point it's possible to burst her down and negate a lot of damage that way.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
It was likely mentioned in the other thread, but I love how the three witches are named after Pratchett's witches. Makes me smile every time. GNU pterry

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

DrHammond posted:

Slime queen is hard, but you can give yourself a chance by keeping the number of slimes you're fighting to a minimum. Keep killing the little ones whenever you can. Note that they don't attack on the turn they're spawned. Be patient, keep everyone alive and be smart about using attacks that spawn more slimes.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I die more to slime queen than any other boss.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
I dunno, I don't find slime *that* hard, dragon is way more of a "you didn't roll perfectly for three turns, so lol gently caress you" boss

The best thing to remember with slime is that the queen can't be killed quickly so you need to manage her, focus on killing other slimes first and always choose to do damage that doesn't spawn a slime if you can help it - if possible you want to (in order) kill smaller slimes doing damage, bigger slimes you can hit without splitting, bigger slimes you can kill, smaller slimes not doing damage, bigger slimes

Also it's a long boss so support rolls are often better than a few points of extra damage in a turn

norp fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Nov 3, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I find the Goblins to be one of the biggest brick walls where I think a run is going great and then they just poo poo on me. Without solid aoe, the rng can cause things to start spiraling outta control super fast between goblins self-shielding, extra Boneses spawning, and being afraid to kill anything before the Goblins are ready to die

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Just finished lvl 20 vs Dragon on normal. A good fight but my party was wiped the same turn I killed the dragon. It was nice of the game to give me the win anyways.

There's no way to NOT pick a new character, is there? I had a kick rear end lvl 2 Defender going with all cleave shields and it was EZ mode right up to 20, then in the last battle I was forced to change him up to something different and more or less blew up my game.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Canuckistan posted:

Just finished lvl 20 vs Dragon on normal. A good fight but my party was wiped the same turn I killed the dragon. It was nice of the game to give me the win anyways.

There's no way to NOT pick a new character, is there? I had a kick rear end lvl 2 Defender going with all cleave shields and it was EZ mode right up to 20, then in the last battle I was forced to change him up to something different and more or less blew up my game.

Nope. That's why it's a good idea to stack your tier 3 heroes as soon as you start getting them. That way you're not getting items that are amazing for tier 2 heroes but will be useless for the final fight. A good item on a t3 is better than the perfect item on a t2 unless you're really struggling or doing cursed or something, and even then..

Congrats on killing Dragon though!

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Having a lot of fun with this, beat easy a bunch of times and tried out a lot of neat items and class combos! This was my favorite.

The Jester has a bonus roll center. Gave him an item that duplicates it to top and bottom. Then he got another item that gives +1 to all rolls for the first turn. Paired with a dancer (3 cantrips) and Keeper with I think an item that made his right two abilities into cantrips.

The Jester had a 50% chance to roll 2 additional rolls. We kinda rolled from there and killed everyone before our first turn even started (should probably be an achievement!). Unfortunately the self damage on the last boss made this impractical to keep up.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

norp posted:

I dunno, I don't find slime *that* hard, dragon is way more of a "you didn't roll perfectly for three turns, so lol gently caress you" boss

The best thing to remember with slime is that the queen can't be killed quickly so you need to manage her, focus on killing other slimes first and always choose to do damage that doesn't spawn a slime if you can help it - if possible you want to (in order) kill smaller slimes doing damage, bigger slimes you can hit without splitting, bigger slimes you can kill, smaller slimes not doing damage, bigger slimes

Also it's a long boss so support rolls are often better than a few points of extra damage in a turn

Also worth noting if you've got anyone with an instant kill attack (mostly the assassin I guess) that those just delete enemies without triggering any of the actions when they lose HP, so if you roll OK you can avoid generating some of the smaller slimes.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I can't recall the details, but I had growth and growth +2 items on three spaces on a blue die that had cantrips for mana, mana, reroll. This ended up as a perpetual reroll/mana generator but after a few iterations the die got PAIN on at least one side and it killed my guy when I got +8 rolls. These numbers aren't exact, but close enough.

So, is there a mechanism which stops perpetual roles, or was there one side with PAIN all the time and I didn't notice until it killed me?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Canuckistan posted:

I can't recall the details, but I had growth and growth +2 items on three spaces on a blue die that had cantrips for mana, mana, reroll. This ended up as a perpetual reroll/mana generator but after a few iterations the die got PAIN on at least one side and it killed my guy when I got +8 rolls. These numbers aren't exact, but close enough.

So, is there a mechanism which stops perpetual roles, or was there one side with PAIN all the time and I didn't notice until it killed me?

You can easily get to infinite reroll with several hero/item combos. Dragon egg and sorcerer is the easiest one, iirc.

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

Funny then, that such darkness gives me hope

Canuckistan posted:

There are a couple enemies which have an attack that adds pain to all sides of a die for one round. Wisps definitely do this, and maybe Spawn, Hexia, and some other enemies too.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Canuckistan posted:

Did you dragon egg and sorceress. I think what happened is you had a spawn give your character the pain debuff. I have used it to 1 turn ko the final boss and didn't have that issue.

Chalk is Cheap
Mar 29, 2005

You know, Maine has a really cool underground hip-hop scene...

Canuckistan posted:

As has already been mentioned you probably got hit by an enemy that gives the pain debuff.

You can stop perpetual rolls at any time by just hitting the done rolling button.

Zuiko-Digital
Aug 31, 2007
forever digital!

Finally beat unfair. Have to say my favorite phone game ever, keep up the good work Tann! Looking forward to the updates!

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Ughhh just had one of the most awful mobs yet - 3x caw + 2 wisp

It was a pretty good run too, but healing does nothing when you are taking like 14 damage to multiple guys from round 1. only had a few shield sides since it was a 3blue/2red party.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Suggestion - A "Boss Rush" mode of some sort. I like it when the instant battle does a boss battle but would like to have not control over when it happens. Thanks for such a great game!

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Boss rush sounds cool, maybe I can give double rewards after each fight or something.

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

Funny then, that such darkness gives me hope
How many achievements are there, including secret achievements? My stats say 49/49 achievements, but I don't know if there is a secret achievement I'm missing that would bring it up to 50/50.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Photux posted:

How many achievements are there, including secret achievements? My stats say 49/49 achievements, but I don't know if there is a secret achievement I'm missing that would bring it up to 50/50.

You got them all, congrats on the unfair streak!

I haven't quite figured out what to do with achievements; I like each achievement unlocking "something", plus I like random achievements that notice a cool thing that happened rather than something to try for. I want to add more weird secret achievements that unlock something stupid/minor but I think this might annoy completionists...

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I did try to do a few runs without ever undoing anything, because I thought there might be an achievement for it. But I always hosed it up at some point.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

CainFortea posted:

I did try to do a few runs without ever undoing anything, because I thought there might be an achievement for it. But I always hosed it up at some point.

I added an achievement for this but I had the exact same issue when trying to actually get it so I removed it lol.
You can't undo your undo!

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
The undo button has ruined me in other turn based games. Now I feel like I should always be able to undo my stupid moves.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Just beat unfair for the first time, though it was with a custom party of 3 mages and 2 healers. I do feel like the classes that give mana are more useful in general, though maybe I'm just bad at using the others.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Farquar posted:

The undo button has ruined me in other turn based games. Now I feel like I should always be able to undo my stupid moves.

I was playing Slay the Spire yesterday and my heart sank when I tried to undo!

Chas McGill posted:

Just beat unfair for the first time, though it was with a custom party of 3 mages and 2 healers. I do feel like the classes that give mana are more useful in general, though maybe I'm just bad at using the others.

Yeah, I think blue classes are slightly more powerful than others. Plus they combo with each-other quite well; lots of mana, lots of spells to choose from.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Tann posted:

I was playing Slay the Spire yesterday and my heart sank when I tried to undo!.
It's Save & Quit in StS

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Tann posted:

I was playing Slay the Spire yesterday and my heart sank when I tried to undo!

Yeah, I think blue classes are slightly more powerful than others. Plus they combo with each-other quite well; lots of mana, lots of spells to choose from.

Also the "double your current mana" side is unbalanced with multiple blues in your team.

Jows
May 8, 2002

norp posted:

Also the "double your current mana" side is unbalanced with multiple blues in your team.

Along with the "repeat side" side on the Chronos. Get like 40 mana in 1 turn - shot bosses lol

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
See, I don't mind a few OP builds. It's like when you break the game in Binding of Isaac. It's cheesy as gently caress, but it's sooo fun when it happens. It's up to you if you want to break the game and go for the easy win. I'm still bitter that they patched out a bunch of game breaking items in BoI: Redemption. Yet another case of a developer sacrificing fun in the name of 'vision'.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I have 60+ normal wins at this point. The end game is so satisfying. So many potential combinations!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Running a blue heavy party in custom party mode is incredibly relaxing, I must say. Oh, dragon as final boss? Well, here's a couple of the big warlock spell for you to eat, now gently caress off. Hexia reflecting damage is it? Not from spells, dickhead, die horribly.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Until you hit crystals

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i think in the next version, hexia will do damage whenever you spend any mana

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

norp posted:

Until you hit crystals

Oh yeah you need at least one non blue to avoid crystals being a huge roadblock

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
Still playing this game daily lol. I mostly just play shortcut normal, I like making the different builds work.

Ace of Spades, that boosts the left and drops everything else, doesn't ever seem to be good. Is there a use case or combo where it's valuable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

eonblue174 posted:

Still playing this game daily lol. I mostly just play shortcut normal, I like making the different builds work.

Ace of Spades, that boosts the left and drops everything else, doesn't ever seem to be good. Is there a use case or combo where it's valuable?

Comedy option on the Gambler, or if you get a ton of reroll via socrecer + growth