Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Wanderer is the goat in endgame, defy rules so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

New wanderer is definitely one of the best T3s in the game, high consistency and every side is good.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

I finally beat an unfair run - monsters can't die on turn 1 was almost a problem but I landed some pretty decent spells throughout the game including a generated hero spell that was 1 mana shield 2 and was able to generate some bonkers mana across my classes. Ended up beating the hand because I got an item right before the last battle that was a "Damage 10, Heavy, Charged" hammer and I generated 15 mana on turn 2 and bopped him.

Overall I wish Unfair's curse point costs got balanced a little better because there are some low point ones that are absolute run enders when you have to stack them with other curses.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I think my vote for best character still has to be valkyrie.

Venom taking 15 damage overkill? Not anymore he isn't. Roulette and Barbarian stabbed themselves to death? Just bring them back. No situation that can't be solve by either preventing death or bringing dead heroes back with a full heal.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
One thing I don't like about rez is that they come back at full health but then start at 50% HP in the next battle. It makes having a rez character way less good. If you bring someone back and they take damage or get healed up or whatever they shouldn't lose it all! I feel like the rez penalty should only pop if they get rezzed by the game mechanic.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
It's an anti-cheese method for drawing out a fight that you've won solely to roll a rez side. Think of rez as bringing guys back that are guaranteed to not be targeted and guaranteed to get one turn!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

RoboCicero posted:

It's an anti-cheese method for drawing out a fight that you've won solely to roll a rez side. Think of rez as bringing guys back that are guaranteed to not be targeted and guaranteed to get one turn!

Considering a lot of the game seems to be "figure out some real cheesy poo poo using items and classes" I dunno if it needs that? You give up sides to have rez to begin with which may never even be usable in a fight. Bringing someone back is powerful so if it never changed I wouldn't bitch about it but it always annoys me when it happens lol

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Housecat runs get wild.

Funny thing is I had this guy at 58 earlier and I rerolled into a garbage character and almost lost the run.

The generation needs some work to be sure.

WarpedLichen fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 29, 2024

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It would be really annoying if optimal play involved drawing out fights to rez your whole party

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

distortion park posted:

It would be really annoying if optimal play involved drawing out fights to rez your whole party

Feel like that's an edgecase and could be solved by auto fleeing, why even allow not showing mercy if its not intended for precisely those kinds of situations?

Sticking around to rez characters is risk reward, if you dont set it up perfectly you risk the run ending especially if you need to take into account auto fleeing.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

WarpedLichen posted:

Housecat runs get wild.

Funny thing is I had this guy at 58 earlier and I rerolled into a garbage character and almost lost the run.

The generation needs some work to be sure.

Generated greens in particular get w e i r d

But most colors have a tendency at super high levels to gen like, a single 100 pip face + a 1 pip face + 4 blanks

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Jerkface posted:

Feel like that's an edgecase and could be solved by auto fleeing, why even allow not showing mercy if its not intended for precisely those kinds of situations?

Sticking around to rez characters is risk reward, if you dont set it up perfectly you risk the run ending especially if you need to take into account auto fleeing.

When the game did work like that, it was a pretty common thing to do. Leaving one enemy at 1 health is not very risky.

e: and now, yeah, it would be a downside to enabling auto-flee, which would just mean more tedium as you either leave it off and deal with the prompts, or spend time to toggle it as needed.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Well i am saying you could simply balance it by making auto fleeing the default. If you wanna gently caress around and rez everyone you need to leave the enemies with some strength. I didnt play pre 3.0 so i will take your word on it being a common practice but it's not like every enemy at 1 hp are no longer dangerous. Theres definitely enemies you cant just leave hanging around.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I guess my point is "should I sac this hero to secure a win?" is an interesting decision space, and having the downside of that potentially be negated makes it less interesting, plus it's less fun to spend more of the game in the "I have already won but I need to play it out" stage of fights, which would draw out longer if revives mattered.

Also, when you have the ability to hold up burst mana, the vast majority of enemies provide literally zero threat at 1 hp. And, the ones that don't have such a tiny chance of actually doing anything dangerous enough to wipe your party.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Just got Poet with Angel Feather (making his Charged Shield reusable) in a party with a Prophet and a Sparky with Jewel Loupe (giving them 2 mana/turn instead of one).

This dragon's goin' down.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Does anybody find the challenges to be worth taking? It seems like I never take any of them because they seem too hard, but maybe I'm not assessing them correctly. Especially the early ones where it's like an extra alpha wolf for a tier 0 or tier 1 item.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
they seem uniformly garbage imo if they offered items several tiers above the current level that would make them more tantalizing

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
I do occasionally take them, but it's highly dependant on the fight still being realistically beatable and the items being immediately synergistic.

You do get those items before the fight which does help a bit but yeah 90%of the time it's worth mashing the no button

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah I think they're largely worthless. When a challenge shows up you're either just powerful enough to beat the current stage (upon which point adding new enemies dramatically increases your chance of losing the run), or you're incredibly overpowered and the extra items aren't worth much.

Best case scenario, it has an item that fits into your build perfectly and lets you push through, but that's pretty rare overall.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Slice & Dice got a shoutout this week on The Besties for its 3.0 release! Glad to see more people trying it out now that it's on Steam/iOS

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Arzaac posted:

Yeah I think they're largely worthless. When a challenge shows up you're either just powerful enough to beat the current stage (upon which point adding new enemies dramatically increases your chance of losing the run), or you're incredibly overpowered and the extra items aren't worth much.

Best case scenario, it has an item that fits into your build perfectly and lets you push through, but that's pretty rare overall.

early on it can just be like an extra goblin or a couple slimelets and those are usually nbd

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jerkface posted:

Strongly disagree, there's a reason it used to work like that and doesn't anymore. One of the things that makes this game not suck is that during any fight, you have two goals in a very clear order of importance -- win the current fight (because otherwise you lose the game), and (way down the list, barring major edge cases like "permanent death" conditions) strategically let as few units die as possible. Any other meta-strategy stuff is kept to the decisions you make between rounds and the game is much more enjoyable and focused for it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

WarpedLichen posted:

Does anybody find the challenges to be worth taking? It seems like I never take any of them because they seem too hard, but maybe I'm not assessing them correctly. Especially the early ones where it's like an extra alpha wolf for a tier 0 or tier 1 item.

If I have anything that gives extra equipment slots, I'm a lot more keen on them. Usually I feel like you pretty naturally fill out the slots for each hero on-curve and getting a bunch of extra low-level chaff isn't worth the risk, but if you have a blessing or something that lets you use them, getting a bunch of T1-T2s can be pretty sweet

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
"Enemies can't die on the first turn? What kind of curse is that?"

and then i died to an illusions level

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

tbh any curse that increases enemy durability is bad

killing enemies is one of the best ways to reduce damage

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

This is a hilariously bad random green

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Mana burn should not work on abilities that do not use mana. That's just lying.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Incidentally I had an unfair run I thought was dead in the water today and then uh

Turns out, Right 3 Blank is actually ridiculously easy to deal with? Blanking out 3 sides sure sounds bad, but since those are the bad sides for most heroes, its mostly just a mild loss in consistency. For 9 curse points I basically just played normal mode, but with moderately shittier heroes. Broken heart is also pretty easily dealt with, just put it on your Warrior/Defender and they can self shield through most things. This was one of my breeziest unfair runs.

The build itself wasn't anything crazy, but things sure did end up synergizing really well over time. Viscera is kinda nuts for a tier 3 item, all you need is a source of shielding and it ends up being a ridiculously high damage nuke that doesn't even kill the hero its on. My Gladiator with Shurikens and Eye also ended up fantastic, because the Stoic and Surgeon (thanks to Karma) had self shield sides, meaning he was frequently doing 6 damage ranged hits. The surgeon, for that matter, also performed extremely well due to her items; not only did all her sides heal and/or shield herself, they also grew the dice of the entire team thanks to Botany. Plus like, Operate is just such a fantastic panic button. My Dice died turn 1 against the dragon, but who cares, it was back turn 2.

Also, side note, I came away from this with a decent appreciation for Doom Blade. 3 damage death sides seem really unappealing, but there were a surprising number of times during the run where it was an extremely effective play.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Arzaac posted:

Incidentally I had an unfair run I thought was dead in the water today and then uh

Turns out, Right 3 Blank is actually ridiculously easy to deal with? Blanking out 3 sides sure sounds bad, but since those are the bad sides for most heroes, its mostly just a mild loss in consistency. For 9 curse points I basically just played normal mode, but with moderately shittier heroes. Broken heart is also pretty easily dealt with, just put it on your Warrior/Defender and they can self shield through most things. This was one of my breeziest unfair runs.

The build itself wasn't anything crazy, but things sure did end up synergizing really well over time. Viscera is kinda nuts for a tier 3 item, all you need is a source of shielding and it ends up being a ridiculously high damage nuke that doesn't even kill the hero its on. My Gladiator with Shurikens and Eye also ended up fantastic, because the Stoic and Surgeon (thanks to Karma) had self shield sides, meaning he was frequently doing 6 damage ranged hits. The surgeon, for that matter, also performed extremely well due to her items; not only did all her sides heal and/or shield herself, they also grew the dice of the entire team thanks to Botany. Plus like, Operate is just such a fantastic panic button. My Dice died turn 1 against the dragon, but who cares, it was back turn 2.

Also, side note, I came away from this with a decent appreciation for Doom Blade. 3 damage death sides seem really unappealing, but there were a surprising number of times during the run where it was an extremely effective play.

Big self death sides are amazing - I just finished a generate run where I had an amazing green that had a massive death side, a blue reuse side & a grey that stopped death. With my cantrip reroll sides I could consistently get a couple of hits in every turn with it. Nearly first-turned dragon with it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Someone has recorded a 2-streak on Hell. I am 100% certain that they cheated.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Jedit posted:

Someone has recorded a 2-streak on Hell. I am 100% certain that they cheated.

It's cute that there's space above the Hell mode button for a laurel that will never be used on my save.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

It is my current quest and I will one day get there with cats.

But a lot of the new curses seem like things you cannot pick up front -- I see no way of beating level 1 when all of your sides are made blank/petrified. And then I have to do some non-Hell run for a bit to try again.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Finally got a luck break and cleared unfair generated where I got easy curses and consistently got blues with 3 sides that generated mana.

Then the game got busted open when I got a Green guy with heavy 10 on the left and a 4 cost spell that adds mana gain to a side.

I got silk scarf which to copy the heavy 10 to 4 sides and the boss was a cake walk.

The difference in difficulty when everything lines up is insane.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

I'm working on Generate unfair too. Congrats on going with two blues and a green -- they seem to generate with so many blanks i've pretty much given up trying to get far with them.

LarsPorsenna
Feb 3, 2024
Game is fantastic. Only complaint I would make is that the delta between easy and hard curses is very high, and a result there's a lot of RNG when it comes to Curse modes in particular.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Note to self, Inflict Death is not the same as InflictInflict Death. Immediately talked my OP nightmare cantrip team by having them all die immediately on the first turn

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Zodack posted:

Note to self, Inflict Death is not the same as InflictInflict Death. Immediately talked my OP nightmare cantrip team by having them all die immediately on the first turn

I had a really funny heaven run where I got copycat on all sides for entire team with 2 rogue classes + some re-rollers so I kept wiping entire boards just through reroll cantrips and stuff. Then I ran in to Wendigo and my entire team teamkilled themselves, very funny!!

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I've done that a few times with the cantrip/pain curse or blessing or what it is. It's fun just to see how far you can make it

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I have fallen down the rabbit hole that is Cursed. Currently at fight 38 and counting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
What kills me is three guys were Cantrip but one had a 30 damage double use side. I basically had any fight sans maybe super Wendigo in the bag, but three guys had Copy All Items and my fancy new triple all sides inflict death item got propagated to basically everyone