Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Hi!

I made a game called Slice & Dice with pixel art from a3um. It took me way too long to code and I'm still working on it. It's a roguelike tactics dice game with too much content. Simple turn-based combat, infinite undo, dumb combos to discover.

iOS https://apps.apple.com/es/app/slice-dice/id6449848963?l=en-GB
Steam https://store.steampowered.com/app/1775490/Slice__Dice/
Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.com.tann.dice
itch https://tann.itch.io/slice-dice

There's a Discord server too.

Tann fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Nighthand posted:

Is there any way to tell which custom parties you've won with?

No, sorry. I'm thinking of removing the unlock from that achievement for the next version tbh. Maybe some pointless trophy shelf for weird/annoying achievements I don't want to force players to do!

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

cirus posted:

Engage shields hardly ever work on higher difficulties. May need to be adjusted

Necromancy: copy dying character's roll as your own. Maybe on Warlock or Keeper? Could be interesting

I'm buffing engage shields by buffing start-damaged so people don't pick it every time :)

Copying someone's roll is cool but it messes with saves unfortunately... plus it's quite similar to the re-use dice ability. It used to be in the game and it was cool to copy a dodge side!

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Concurred posted:

any chance for a colorblind mode or option?

I've been thinking about this. Non-colourblind people get to experience the pain in custom party mode! You can at least find out which hero they are by tapping the dice.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Hizawk posted:

in custom party mode it would be great if the avatar had the title of the class as well. I still don't recognize fhe faces enough!

Yes I agree! I'm adding some alternate level 1 heroes at the moment so I'll revisit it when I add those to it.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Farquar posted:

How are the alternate level 1 heroes going to work? Are they only available in a custom party or do they get shuffled into standard as well?

My dream feature would be a Cursed mode with a random party. (But I love all things RNG)

We'll see, I have some plans for a generic anti-cheese thing to use for this and other things. Hopefully you'll be able to get them somehow in all modes.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

CainFortea posted:

So, does cursed mode count a replaced curse in the total? Like if I had the one that heals the most damaged mob by 1, and then immediately replaced it with the one that heals it by 2, does that mean I have 2 curses or 1 curse now?

Because if it's the latter, that sucks cause the 2nd curse is a lot worse than the first.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. The curse upgrades and overrides the old effect, they get healed by 2 total if you have the upgrade. The crossed-out one counts for that one achievement that references number of curses?

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Grondoth posted:

I wish you had some more time with a maxed out party, but that's just how I always feel with roguelike games. It's why I like RoR2 so much, cause you can just push it and laugh as your absurd combination works long past you being able to keep track, until you just suddenly die or something.

Yeah I'd like to do this! I had some testing levels 21-24 with ridiculous item rewards and enemies but it needed more polish. Plus I need to figure out some way of triggering them though because I don't want it to be part of the "core experience". (also stop the easy sorcerer infinite!)

Photux posted:

I wish the Unfair curse choices were a little more balanced.

I'm working on this at the moment. I'm trying to rebalance and combine all the curses so I can offer a random selection for unfair; "Choose curses to a total value of 15" or something.

Tann fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 21, 2021

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Canuckistan posted:

Do you also get access to the Windows installers when you unlock the full game in-app?

You can download an apk if you buy on itch, not the other way around though. People are asking about steam keys too, I haven't decided this all yet.

@Raine @eonblue174

Yes! I agree with some of these, and am working on various hopefully fun stuff. Though maybe not exactly what you're hoping for :)

Raine posted:

the blessings you get for completing a loop aren't good enough to balance this

This is on purpose, I want curse mode to get harder over time. Though I have made it easier to create new modes so I could add some easy infinite play mode? I don't really have infinite content though lol.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Farquar posted:

Are you sure it didn't petrify after it hit, by striking a basilisk?

nice debugging :D

Canuckistan posted:

- No OP runs yet. I assume better unlocks come with time after playing.
- Lvl 1 and 2 items seem a little lackluster.

I mostly lock complicated items, not powerful ones. Or sometimes simple ones if it's a funny link with what you do for the achievement.

I'm rebalancing soon so I have been thinking about altering early item power levels. It's tricky though, you're already pretty godlike by the final fight hehe. I have the combining thing in my ideas list somewhere, the challenge reward thing was partially getting stuff set up for that sort of choice.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Hizawk posted:

Finally beat lvl 20 on cursed and I see two choices.

The end?
Respite

What do these do?!

I didn't mean for them to sound like an either/or thing. You have to click both!
(maybe click "The end?" first)

Tann fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 31, 2021

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Boss rush sounds cool, maybe I can give double rewards after each fight or something.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Photux posted:

How many achievements are there, including secret achievements? My stats say 49/49 achievements, but I don't know if there is a secret achievement I'm missing that would bring it up to 50/50.

You got them all, congrats on the unfair streak!

I haven't quite figured out what to do with achievements; I like each achievement unlocking "something", plus I like random achievements that notice a cool thing that happened rather than something to try for. I want to add more weird secret achievements that unlock something stupid/minor but I think this might annoy completionists...

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

CainFortea posted:

I did try to do a few runs without ever undoing anything, because I thought there might be an achievement for it. But I always hosed it up at some point.

I added an achievement for this but I had the exact same issue when trying to actually get it so I removed it lol.
You can't undo your undo!

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Farquar posted:

The undo button has ruined me in other turn based games. Now I feel like I should always be able to undo my stupid moves.

I was playing Slay the Spire yesterday and my heart sank when I tried to undo!

Chas McGill posted:

Just beat unfair for the first time, though it was with a custom party of 3 mages and 2 healers. I do feel like the classes that give mana are more useful in general, though maybe I'm just bad at using the others.

Yeah, I think blue classes are slightly more powerful than others. Plus they combo with each-other quite well; lots of mana, lots of spells to choose from.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

I'm still working on it, adding a lot of new heroes/items/etc. Plus sometimes a new mode when I get a silly idea. (Start with 10 heroes at level 10, only levelups, no items)

I don't know exactly when I'll release an update; I'm not a good planner.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

eonblue174 posted:

The stats screen (book) tells you 3 available achievements

I got loop Hero for free on Epic, and now I keep thinking what this game plus loop Hero would be like

In the future I'd like to make an AI for player turns, that could unlock some fun potential!

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Lowness 72 posted:

I neeeeeed an update. More content please!!

Still working on it! Here's some teasers -

Lots more keywords in the game now, many are just on one-off items though

New unfair mode offers random point-buy curses

2x alternate starting heroes for each colour

Too many modes, I need to redo this UI!

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

someone awful. posted:

Hey there's this equipment called Change of Heart that replaces all your healing sides with shield sides, retaining their keywords. But when it changes a heal+mana side into a shield, it loses the mana generation property. Is that on purpose, or a bug?

That is correct according to the text on the item IMO. Although after the update, that side will have the "mana-gain" keyword so it will work how you want it to, whenever I release it!

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Just added a fun feature

Pasteable fight snapshots, managed to minify enough to fit in a tweet. You get to play on from there to the end of the level.

Maybe useful for..
- Help I'm going to die what do I do?
- Check out this cool turn 1 boss kill
- Here's a level I created, try to beat it

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Insurrectionist posted:

Just recently found this game, it's really fun. Although the free version seems a little easy, I was able to finish all the difficulties past normal on my first try.

Would buy it to get the full experience but unfortunately there's some kind of clash with my bank where they provide multiple methods of verification and google play store won't prompt me for the one I use when trying to unlock the game. Since the bank is implementing new systems with bugs, that means I can't easily switch to the one google requires me to use either according to bank customer service. RIP.

Congrats if you beat demo-unfair on your first try. If I ever release this update it will have an "Hell" difficulty level, though that's mostly intended for some weird modes that make the game easier in other ways.

I've been getting a few complaints about failed Google Play purchases recently. It could be an intermittent issue at Google, if it's not my terrible code :)

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

CainFortea posted:

Is Demo-Unfair like a shorter version because I still have never beat unfair.

Yeah, unfair just means "pick 3 curses" so you can play it on any mode that uses difficulties.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

I don't know when I'll be done. Some life stuff has got in the way a bit but it's still my only "job" and I love working on it. I would give an estimate but I have thought it'll be a month or so for the past 7 months haha.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

New Leaf posted:

One of my favorite YouTubers - "Angory Tom" of the Yogscast - played Slice & Dice on his channel! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPeVqYzaVms

He's an awesome guy and plays some great games, totally recommend you checking him out.

Ah cheers, I got some extra sales on itch and couldn't figure out where they came from.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Save data is stored globally, not in the game directory. The demo is the same as the full game but you can only access one "mode".

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Teledahn posted:

Hey Tann, is the iOS port/fork under development or somewhat on hold? I know it's a thing and all, but like many people I cannot take my PC with me to play your game.

I think iOS won't be too much work but i want to finish this big update before releasing to more platforms. Though the update was a lot smaller when i came up with this plan!

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

If you bought on itch, the files are here https://tann.itch.io/slice-dice. For play store it's more complicated (and buggy, oops!).

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

goferchan posted:

If I revive a dead hero during combat should I be able to use their spell again? I'm getting "can't cast spells from defeated heroes" after reviving Venom with Operate

Submit a bug report in-game if you are in a bugged battlestate and I'll take a look. Venom doesn't have any spells though, did they have a spell item?

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

hito posted:

Bug report that I'm sad to share because it makes the game easier: the initial curse offering allows multiples, at least for slippery dice, which let me get two curse points for "free" because I could take both Slippery Dice++ and normal Slippery Dice:

(This was my only unfair win so far, so hopefully I'm capable of beating it without a bug helping me :'D)

Thanks, this is already fixed! There are a couple of other things like this too.

edit: uh I mean in my dev version. I don't know when the next beta update will be

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

I forgot google review took so long, should have waited on the itch update.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Fun to read the discussion, spellblade is quite polarising on discord too. The reason I changed them was to make the colour-identity a bit stricter, which also affects generated heroes.

There's so much more stuff in the game, it's likely I have the balance of some keywords a bit off. The algorithm for copycat is currently "as good as having cleave".

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Finally updated on the play store!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.com.tann.dice
https://tann.itch.io/slice-dice

Patch notes: https://tann.itch.io/slice-dice/devlog/434748/slice-dice-20-release

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

I think it's better to start from scratch. I rebalanced/tweaked a lot of achievement stuff. There's also a button to bypass achievements and unlock everything.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Jedit posted:

I tried a run and found a possible bug - the item that gives poison to the top and bottom sides isn't interacting as expected with Engage. The attack deals double damage but only applies poison to the base value.

Are you fighting a troll?

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Jedit posted:

I don't recall. Are trolls immune to enrage, or something? It was the first round and I boosted Ranger's ranged+engage 2 side to 4 with Fey, then attacked. The attack dealt 8 damage and 4 poison.
It should all work fine, submit a bug report next time. Or post a paste here!

Slaan posted:

I killed a barrel which blew up two slimers and created 4 slimelets. The slimelets ran away but I got a cheevo for making a barrel run away. Not a huge deal but probably a bug
Yeah I know about this, oops. Joke achievement ruined, oh well! Probably lots of other bugs to fix anyway, I'm expecting to release a fixes patch later this week.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Jedit posted:

Well, I just got TPKed on floor 4 of Normal. Some of the new stuff is just so badly tuned it's unbelievable.

roll better, scrub

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Maybe it is a bit harder, I used a different system for balancing this time. There's also >100 blessings available on easy mode now. You don't really get anything for winning on harder difficulties (except unlocking even harder stuff) so just play whichever thing you find most fun.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Culka posted:

One of the level 0 items adds a side with 7 pip damage all with mana cost. It was pretty nice to combine it with a blindfold to remove the keyword from it.

I changed it to replace the bottom side because I thought that was too easy :)

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

CainFortea posted:

I love how I keep finding NEW THINGS and NEW KEYWORDS

I can't stop myself, I'm probably supposed to be fixing bugs but I just added the most complex keyword yet to my dev version-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Nighthand posted:

I have no idea what the purpose of the void item could be.

I like making the same joke over and over with t0 items hehe. They mostly do nothing, this one literally does nothing. I made it by mistake when I broke some other item and I thought it looked funny so kept it as a t0.