Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Slice & Dice is a great game that I dive back into every few months. Really excited for the new update, currently trying to complete the "win a hard game without any blue or red characters" and getting perilously close. Mage classes are definitely my preference -- the flexibility that Burst offers really gives you a lot of outs if you plan (or roll) poorly, but I'm growing to appreciate the sheer amount of damage output that the other classes allow. I *did* gently caress up and roll away my source of cleanse so I'm completely hosed if the boss is Hexia.

While I remember, something I thought that could be cool if the tier 2 classes gave you an item when you graduated out of them (probably the equivalent of item level 3~4). Something that serves as a memento of a class you picked and something that could be a long-term consequence of the midgame could be neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Reinstalled it on Android and lost my save, though I was already prepared for that. Super excited to play through again and unlock everything, especially since it looks like there are a ton of changes!

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

goferchan posted:

Has anyone found a broken combo involving a "tier zero" item yet? I just know they're out there... it's so hard to pass up the reward that gives you 4 of them

edit: Am I missing something about why the Urn doesn't let the Shield 3 I get from Ladder keep the double-use keyword?
Tier 0 items are very funny, but the only ones I can really think of is using the rorriM tekcoP with Eccentric or Leather Gloves to multiply copy that side.

I've had some bugs with Enduring too but it wasn't working with the quad-use skill that yellow gets as a t3 job. Maybe just something about N-use keywords?

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

I feel like my success rate on Hard would probably be higher if I didn't slam pick the blessing and immediately get far over my head. Enemy single-use is so delicious though.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

I've absolutely used a Cruel 1 side to kill a Gnoll, maybe there was armor or something else happening simultaneously?

I got the "add patient to all sides" blessing and wow, it genuinely completely changes the game. For the better? I'm not sure, but passing up on a low-value side in the hopes you get a doubled high value side next turn makes every character play like the gambler.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

By the way, has anyone been able to take the "Add Lich To Every Fight" and survive? It seems like regardless of how powerful your blessing a full party of T1 characters is never going to take them down without being swarmed by skeletons / petrified to death.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Been dicking around with Loot mode. Nearly got a win on Easy, but died on 17 due to losing a few rolls. It's funny how critical your starting dudes are since it's all you have to build off of. I want four item slots instead of 3, but also understand that it's probably a UI/engine limitation.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

Edit: Well, adding an item that makes it so you can't reroll and an item that makes it so you can't lock did not have the interaction I was hoping for... C'mon Tann, that's just mean, it's such a rare combo...
My favorite part about this interaction is the fact that the first two turns with this combo I rolled incredibly well so I locked in the first roll and was like "hell yeah, beat the system". Then I realized this effectively locks you at 0 rerolls due to both restrictions

Can I suggest the Beta Curse: all alphas start in the back row

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Overwhelmingly excited to pair this with urn. Enduring is one of the most fun keywords but you just don't see it very often.

There are a lot of keywords that feel pretty rare -- I don't think echo or invigorate exist outside of the level 9/10 items that grant them.

Has anyone gotten good use out of Lich's tome? The downside seems brutal and there's no way to get around it.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Finally beat Loot Mode (on easy)

Was extremely tempted by Egg Basket + Silk Cape but realized after some thinking that I could reshuffle all my items around to get a guaranteed 10 mana on the first turn and nabbed Infinity. Very fun mode, absolutely leaned on Youth (+3 to all tier 1 heros, which was all of them, forever) and monster decay which was critical for making sure summon sides only ever triggered once.

Here is my winning configuration, which looks like a lunatic party set up for anything other than the specific level 20 beatdown:

And the setup I had going into level 19:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

distortion park posted:

Inspired by this I played a bunch of loot mode on easy and wow it's hard. I got to lvl 20 once, most of my runs end around 8-12. It's really easy to find yourself in a position where you're just completely outgunned. Longsword is such a good item for it though, it's a huge upgrade on basically every class.

Yeah, increasingly I find that consistency or health are really good in Loot mode just because T1 heroes either have terrible sides or terrible health as the game goes on. As tempting as the Urn + Buckler + Cleave megaside is, you're going to end up not rolling it three times in a row and get dunked on. You also absolutely need a way to deal with Slates/Hydras since they are hard to clear without incurring lots of damage, and the ability to chip is pretty constrained unless you make sure you have access to cantrip sides.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

It's an unlock for getting 2 Hard wins in a row. I haven't seen them yet because of my expert strategy of dying over and over on Unfair.

I'm really impressed by some of the achievements in this thread! Two unfair wins seems so out of reach, the farthest I've gotten is 16/17. Normal loot win is also really cool.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

I think orange is the class where I am pretty happy with any option, with yellow and red being the one after. Valkyrie is definitely the slam-jam pick for me since barely any other grey option comes close (mimic and twin are the next two just because I like to get in over my head on trying to combo items.

I feel like contributing to this is not valuing repel very highly, but it seems like it's "priced" like cleave, but the ... versatility? of being able to use it as a weak shield or difficult to aim cleave has never appealed to me.

e: roulette is very fun -- even without a way to mitigate the penalty they're a strong one. they should say "we live in a society" if you reroll into their death side.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Funnily enough, that makes me want to mess with Ace more! Boost 3 is insane. I think I get too intimidated by the side matching mechanic instead of leaning into it. Pair of Kings and Cheater's Sleeves are always a riot

"Never odd me the tells," my scoundrel says as they strap on a knife bag and cheater sleeves, moments before the bag explodes, killing them and a nearby wolf.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Yeah, I wonder if there's something where you you can start with less than the maximum amount of blessing points by doing the following UI flow: going over the blessing point maximum, then deselecting one blessing so you're under the maximum. I think this communicates that they deliberately want to start with less than all the points allotted to them.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Hero Rite was an absolute blast. It does lose its edge a bit since, like all "hero X" abilities, you can replace it with item sides to give you more flexibility in a pinch. Like someone said though, my run ended when I had to fight two Slates at once.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

TravelLog posted:

Also, how do I unlock this monster?

I've only ever seen them once, offered in a challenge. Maybe just take as many of those as possible? They'll look like a zombie, with a similar, but not quite identical, passive :v:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Tann posted:

More weird generated stuff, automatic level variations of existing classes.

Mode where you start with only two heroes and they get a combined 10 level ups. Or one hero and 10 level ups (and lose to tarantula :getin:)

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Got the "clear classic with only T2 heroes" achievement which was absolutely like pulling teeth, even on easy. It turns out that skipping 5 rewards actually significantly reduces your power level! In the end I only beat it with Hero Growth + Monster Right and a cantripping Juggler and self-shield.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

I must imagine that mandatory gives you a pass if you literally can't use the dice (whether that's due to the charged + mana-cost interaction with non-zero pips or even something simple like eliminate + heavy). It's a total crapshoot guessing though, given that Tann has probably added a few dozen additional keywords :v:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Tann posted:

Not totally sure if I actually want to support this... it's been easy to add so far though.

The game is not really playable one-handed, I think that's an impossible goal for this game.

would it be any easier if the dice auto-aligned along the 'top' of the playing field like what happens when you double-tap currently, only right above your top-most hero? i'm sure there's a lot of other issues though -- thanks for looking into it regardless! can't wait for glreiguh

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

hell yeah, it's time

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Had to uninstall and reinstall for Android to work, but was able to reimport my achievements. Haven't even started a run, but we're so back :madmax:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Tried a green hero to see what they're about and the T2 version of one popped out a T0 hero for my team :stare:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Won my first run doing Hard, now losing over and over again on Unfair as intended. Once I clear this I'll start banging my head against Brutal, or do a Loot run :v: Game as good as ever!

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Sometimes a hero party is just an orphan and their four cats on an adventure

(managed to roll Truce, which gives allies and enemies all undying on the first turn. Insanely powerful, lets me alpha strike every encounter no problem)

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

oh my god what happened to twin :gonk:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Tainted I think is the one that seems like a rough take. A random T4 curse seems like a big risk, even if it's later in the stage and the sides are unimpressive. There's no secret is there?

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

It's an anti-cheese method for drawing out a fight that you've won solely to roll a rez side. Think of rez as bringing guys back that are guaranteed to not be targeted and guaranteed to get one turn!

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Slice & Dice got a shoutout this week on The Besties for its 3.0 release! Glad to see more people trying it out now that it's on Steam/iOS

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

I'm working on Generate unfair too. Congrats on going with two blues and a green -- they seem to generate with so many blanks i've pretty much given up trying to get far with them.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Is it just me or does Sickly feel really undervalued as a 1 point curse? Even without the hp restriction "dying allies have pain added to all sides" feels like it would kick in pretty rapidly at higher floors and fry an entire party with little recourse.

e: there should be a keyword if it doesn't already exist that's called "inflict inflict" which inflicts all inflict-X keywords. this is critical so you can pass something like inflict-singleuse or inflict-pain back and forth between your party and the enemy's forever.

RoboCicero fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 2, 2024

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

I'm sure it's been reported but Bossilisk seems to be eligible to be offered multiple times a curse and taking multiples doesn't change the boss fight.

malnourish posted:

Are people getting any of the crazy new keywords like hyper-x on anything? I would have expected new items in the mix but I don't see them. I'm trying to play a lot of blurtra to see interesting combos.

I haven't -- the shifter keyword (from gizmo and the T3 orange agent) once gave me "inflict inflictnothing" which was very funny. I got an option for a random "add KEYWORD to all sides" item that I slam picked but it gave me +fumble to all sides (50% chance to be blanked per turn, lol).

I think there's definitely a place for curses that affect specific enemies -- iirc in a previous version there's one where goblins got their old "+1 pip to all sides each time i'm damaged). I totally get the desire to avoid something that might not have an effect in any single fight, but there's definitely a high-enough occurrence of most enemies that like, "undying first turn illusions" or "each slate hp spawns slimelets" would have an impact over the length of one run.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

I love...tweaks...

(the last image is me mid-brutal run. of course i took it)

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

If I remember I won that run, but possibly also because I did not roll The Hand. Didn't even think about it giving him 4 insta-kill sides, lmao. I took it because a lot of aliment/summon sides are on the right slots and this change made monsters more predictable and more of a slugfest.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

I've been doing a bunch of Loot Mode runs and my favorite part about Loot Mode is that, at some point, the game will ask you if you would like to immediately lose the game. It will take every ounce of strength you have to not hit the "collapse all your rank 0-N items into a rank 10+ item". I will do it anyway.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

I think The Hand, especially when they roll back-to-back saber sides. I wish there was something like "all-identical-sides-exert" or something for summon spam specifically.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Did the chance to get loot quality/quantity blessings in loot mode get removed in 3.0?

This is extremely late, but I've done a few dozen runs trying to beat loot mode normal and I haven't seen any of these. I also haven't seen any +level blessings, sadly, though the new hat items are nice if you run into them.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Got inflict boned on a shifter side, but unfortunately didn't stick around to see what would happen. Probably summon bones for the enemy team, now that I think about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

I finally cleared a run on Cursed-Ultra and got that sweet +10 blessing, one of which was "add duplicate to the center four sides". Guess which side Clumsy chose to roll two turns in?

e: Saw this cool Dungeon Meshi fan-take here

RoboCicero fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 19, 2024