Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I am beginning to think that giving my juggler the lich's tome may not have been a good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Man Jinxes are some horseshit. Love to have an almost unstoppable party instantly 3/5ths wiped on turn 1 because a "+2 monster lefts" Jinx showed up alongside a hydra and both of them rolled left to deal almost 20 damage to my blocker, my healer, and my mage.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Jinxes are usually just an interesting tactical wrinkle, but when they're bullshit, my god they are bullshit. Warchiefs are like that sometimes, too. Every once in a while the stars align and the game just tells you "lol get hosed loser"

Fantastic game, don't get me wrong - I can't put it down. I'm just salty because that unlucky encounter stonewalled what otherwise looked likely to be my first-ever streak win. If I had survived even a single turn without losing half my heroes, I'd probably have won it. Just luck of the draw that I got nuked right out of the gate :(

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

lmao the Baron just ran away from me

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah I just had a Blursed run involving a dancer with two cleaving poisoned 3-damage cantrip attacks. And the bard had the permaboost wand. And I had a berserker with the emerald mirror, so two of his attacks were poisoned, too.

poo poo got, uh, pretty silly.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I just pulled off a sub-35 turn win thanks to a "get mana when heroes die" blessing, a "third spell is free" blessing, and liberal use of Pain/Death abilities and items. Every fight was just a violent tragicomedy of mutually assured destruction, especially once I picked up the mana bomb lmao

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

It's good with stuff like the statuette. Free HP with no downsides.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Pain of Mind posted:

Yea, typically you still win if you are strong enough to get to the final boss, but from my games it does seem like there is an increased loss chance for the bosses with AOE if they never give you a breather.

I'd bet this is why a lot of people show higher-than-expected loss rates to Dragon. That fucker can put out a lot of multitarget damage if the mood strikes it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I feel like Ace might be at least decent if not for the empty faces. Just make him the Guy That Always Gives You Mana and there you have it, he's potentially worth picking sometimes if you have a red with a great spell (or have looted a great spell at some point)

e: or give him a reroll cantrip, that's on-brand and would go nicely with a) his gimmick and b) many other classes

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah Ghast is really bad.

Roulette is an absolute hard no from me unless I have Valkyrie or whichever red it is that casts Bind.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

:lol: just killed Hexia by rolling my first-turn dice over and over forever. Level 61 and counting on Blursed, this is the longest run I've ever had

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Ok Raid mode is hilarious. Getting Essence Capture and Essence Thief and just spamming Burn and Scald all day while both teams died in droves was hysterical. Killed the second dragon by having my last surviving hero, a Fiend, explode both of them with Burn :supaburn:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

At an absolute minimum I think you'd have to rite managain faces and manage your mana really carefully. You can do a lot with Burst and hero spells as long as your mana generating heroes don't all eat poo poo.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Generated Blursed mode, you say??

e: TIL that the Burning Halo's "damage all enemies on Rescue" effect triggers retaliatory damage similar to Repel dice, which means that if your Valkyrie equips it and uses it to rescue herself with her "reuse on Rescue" shield die, she can potentially just repeatedly do that over and over forever in a feedback loop until the retaliating enemy turns to dust

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 21, 2022

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

You shouldn't have imo. She's twice as likely to roll Not Die, has a resurrection face, and has a Rescue shield which can pull off some crazy poo poo if used cleverly. That said, that's a really loving good generated T2, drat

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Statue loving rules with Friendship Bracelet, there are some fights where you can just sternly slap your opponents and they'll immediately run away

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Jedit posted:

It's the reverse of Underdog: a rank 5 item that doubles your top side if you have more HP than the target. It's pretty good on most greys, but can also be a great finisher on a hero with cantrip or cleave on that side.

Not much, what's up with you?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

It's a small detail, but it literally never fails to make me laugh when a hero overkills something and another hero goes "calm down!"

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

nice

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I like Twin and think there should be more things like it that do really weird poo poo with the usual hero mechanics. Like a necromancer class that can add temporary skeleton allies into the party, or a telekinesis spell that can drag a back-row enemy to the front for a turn. Maybe even a tweak or game mode or something where one or more of the heroes is just straight up replaced with one of the lesser monsters. I love this game and wish there was even more of it to experiment with

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

No yeah you never ever take Twin unless you have an item or two to give them good faces. For instance, Greatsword + Hissing Ring or whatever it is (add Poison to the left two faces) is hilarious on Twin, because suddenly you have two little screaming gremlins each capable of making GBS threads out 5 damage + 5 poison to some poor bastard (and if they die who gives a poo poo, the poison will do the rest). They're also great with anything that gives reroll cantrips.

e: hero that can add barrels to the enemy line

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Twin + the enhance wand is pretty nice. A bit niche, but depending on your other heroes, it allows for some pretty ridiculous combos. Especially if you hit them with another hero's boost face before they permaboost so you can permaboost the boosting hero and spend the rest of the fight gigaboosting stuff into the stratosphere. Works real nice with Wanderer. Or with one of the orange heroes that can ranged instakill any enemy under a certain HP threshold :unsmigghh:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

There are a few items that give you really strong defensive options. But yeah, I think the main reason grey heroes move a little away from focusing on big shield faces is that the later levels require you to be more proactive in preventing damage. You're rarely going to win the arms race with sheer blocking; you have to kill things before they hurt you, or mitigate status effects, or other stuff like that.

That's where Mimic and Twin really shine: depending on your items and party composition, they can be pretty powerful force multipliers when straightforwardly tanking hits isn't a viable plan. IMO the T3 greys work best when they're chosen more for synergy than for specialization.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

CainFortea posted:

Yea, like, if grey is my last t3 and I don't have any faces that are pain or death or cantrip attacks, I am not going to be pick valkyrie. The other options are usually better.

Oh yeah, Valkyrie's incredibly good at what she does, but what she does is to keep an otherwise effective and self-sufficient party from dying. She's particularly great with Barbarian; it's nice being able to smash through everything with those massive Pain/Death damage faces without having to worry about the consequences.

On the other hand, sometimes your T2 grey can do this:

and you decide, after careful thought, not to take Valkyrie when she's offered.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

And for oneshotting summoned bones and imps so you don't get swamped. Reliable access to a 4+ pip attack is pretty important.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

This is the first time I have ever felt like I'm actually cheating at this game.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah. IMO the synergies between blessings/curses are pretty important for staying alive long-term. If you've been relying on mana generation blessings to keep pace using Burst and then you draw a choice like "slow spells" vs <insert godawful always-bad curse here>, you're kinda hosed (since gambling on a random curse WILL stick you with burst cooldown or something, just because gently caress you)

e: you'd end up with an interesting split in the decision-making process too. People could either go for a cautious survival strategy and try to shoot for the highest possible round count, or choose curses carefully and build up to a record number of max curses.

Also I would like Blursed Generate to be a thing, I want a randomly blessed and randomly cursed party of random assholes with which to die randomly

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 4, 2022

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Just had a Twin equipped with Statuette and Faerie Dust. Two 10-health heroes with four 3-pip mana sides each, for the price of one? Yes please

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yessss. Randomly generated, randomly cursed and blessed heroes with random items fighting random monsters. Let chaos take the world

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

You see this? This is the kind of godawful poo poo that keeps me coming back to Generate

It took them like 100 rerolls, but goddamn if these idiots didn't land a turn-zero Hexia kill without taking a scratch

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Same with chests. The items they give are so consistently mediocre that it's usually best to just let them flee unless they're doing something immediately problematic.

In other news, I just got a Sorcerer infinite going. And then I picked up Infinity :unsmigghh:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

IMO make chests highly likely to drop potions, and maybe make potions less likely as non-chest rewards. Now players see chests and are like "oh gently caress, a chest, maybe it'll drop a Titanbane potion" and do dumb poo poo in order to open the chest before dying on turn 3 as a direct result, which I presume to be the intended function of chests

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

(one stage after this I pulled Poison Coating or whatever and gave this deathblender the Poison keyword too)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Tann posted:

Adding more stupid stuff today

Yes! Ha ha ha! Yes!!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah mana cantrip infinites are amazing basically all the time. Attack cantrip infinites will reliably kill your heroes against spikers and stuff unless you have something to make those attacks ranged (or you have Thimble).

If you have a Sorcerer and two or three reroll faces throughout your party you can pretty much just dump heinous amounts of poison on everything every turn, it rules

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

On that note, I just broke level 200 for the first time when my previous best was 99. I will say that holding on to Burst is really worth it (at least for a while) if you pick up Cruel Burst. 4 damage for 2 mana is a solid finisher spell, and being able to slam 4 shield on a hurt hero is extremely valuable as well.

Also, if you get Treasure Seeker and Shiny with no item level- curses, you start getting Infinity basically every run because the level 10+ item pool is so small. It is very satisfying to instantly kill the endboss three loops in a row :v:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

That tweak turns eggs and graves into a nightmare. So many goddamn summons. It's never ever worth it IMO. This is especially true in higher Blursed levels, because eventually tiny enemies start stacking an insane number of pip bonuses from all the overlapping and upgrading curses. You really don't want to try to wait out an Archer who's shooting you for 12+ damage every turn!!

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 12, 2022

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Deki posted:

Just got the preview version of this on my phone, liking it, but haven't made it through normal on 3 attempts so far.

I take it the game scope gets wild once you break out of the initial 20 or so levels it gives you for the free version?

The paid version's core game is also built around 20-level runs, but it has a shitload of alternative game modes you can unlock. The most popular of these is Blursed, which does indeed proceed infinitely (resetting your party and the enemy progression every 20 levels, but accruing more and more blessings and curses).

Speaking of which:

I was so close to 300 :negative:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

There should really be an inverse of Vitality or whatever the "bonus for health gained this turn" one is, where a face gets bonuses based on how much/how many times that hero lost health this turn. Could have some fun synergies with the knife bag, imp statue, other sources of Pain & Cantrip, Cut, Burn, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

TIL that if you put an Ichor Chalice on someone and have a Doctor cast Liquor on them, you can immediately kill just about anything in the game by aggressively getting drunk at it.

I also learned that Hexia is not impressed when you do this, and will, in fact, reflect 20 points of damage onto your very drunk, very dead adventurer