Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

teethgrinder posted:

I still haven't beaten Unfair once. The highest I can make is level 12.

Been mostly focused on Tough/Damaged/Fewer Rolls, but been experimenting with options other than Tough because I just can't seem to ever do enough damage for the boosted boss at 12.

Sometimes I just roll badly on earlier ones and am totally poo poo out of luck.

But ugh, Expensive Spells, Start Poisoned and Left Blank seem even more punishing.

Tough is way harder than it looks. It takes a lot of enemies that you can kill in one turn and makes them take two turns. Like, consider, on normal, how hard it is to kill the boar at 7 hp vs the 6 or 5 hp enemies. Making the witch or ghost take an extra turn to kill can be devastating. For me, it's either expensive spells or start poisoned as the third.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Farquar posted:

I don't know who this person is, but I disagree with almost all of their choices.

Looks like they're fourth place on the curse mode leaderboard.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Start damaged is by far the easiest, for what it's worth.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
3 blue/2 red is what I did. More mana + a larger variety of a spells is a good synergy. Just make sure you have at least 1 damage side vs quartz.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I think it's kinda hard to understand why you lost. Decisions in building and decisions in rolling are both huge and a little opaque.

I'd say the piece of advice that brought me to a more consistent level is this: It's better to not get unlucky than it is to get lucky. If you get lucky, you still win harder, if you get unlucky you lose.

I used to reroll 1 mana sides from the adept, but you can win the early fights on one mana a turn, but you lose them if you get zero.

Also, max health items are better than you think. It's fun to try to build a combo, but max health just gives you so much more freedom and consistency. Every damage that you don't have to block is more damage you can deal.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Miftan posted:

The fun thing about the witches is that everyone has their own different preferred order for the kills. I like to go poison witch > broom witch > heal witch because if you don't have cleanse poison is really annoying, especially in fights that have enemy invincibility mechanics.

For me it depends on the situation but I always kill healing last. If I don't have any cleanse yet, I might kill poison first. If I do, I prefer killing the weaken one first.

Also, it's uncomnon to have at that point, but the capacity to do 4 damage is a big deal. Killing one of them on turn 1 is huge. It also helps with all the ogres in subsequent fights.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I'd probably order them:
Start Damaged > Fewer Rolls >> Expensive Spells > Start Poisoned > Tough Monsters >> Left Blank

Fewer rolls does require you to play tighter, but given optimal play, I don't think it's a huge detriment to your win rate. I'm willing to swap expensive spells and start poisoned, but that poison damage is a lot. Tough monsters takes enemies that you could kill in one turn and makes them take 2 turns. I'd never be able to, like, snipe a witch first turn, for example. And of course, left blank is horrible and impossible to overcome.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The "all curses" achievements don't have to be done in standard mode.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I had good luck doing Left Blank with the 2 healers 3 casters, with Start Damaged and Start Poisoned. Maybe enemy health would be better than poison here, because I found that I tended to start fights being able to match damage with healing, so the need (and also ability) to snipe enemies t1 is reduced. Plus, fights tended to take a really long time doing it this way and that made poison worse.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Who would win, hexia, or one side of a die?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
This new version has changed and expanded nearly every aspect of the game, and the balance is way out of whack. It certainly needs some tuning.

In particular, I think heroes have significantly more blank sides now (especially if you count the death sides) and also more single use and exhaust sides, and also more enemies that inflict weakness or single use. And, that's probably the biggest hit to consistency, along with enemies like fanatics which are just a little too strong compared to how strong the game thinks they are when building encounters.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I would assume it's submitted and will be available at Google o'clock.

redleader posted:

😭 that was such a rare treat anyway

Every version I lament what we lost, both in terms of unfair enemies, and busted combos. But then I learn to love what we gained. Trust me when I say that this version has way more busted combos you can make.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 3, 2022

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Really wish I could undershoot the blessing point requirement like I can overshoot a curse point requirement. Really sucks to get two blessings that would be fun together but not be able to run them because I can't make exact change with what's left over.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

eonblue174 posted:

One of the goated things about snd is that it boots so fast and runs great. Feels super snappy too. I do dream of a one handed vertical mode ......

Yeah so many mobile games don't stick with me because I can't just pop and instead have to spend 20+ seconds on a loading screen and waiting on menu animations before I can play.

Also, I know what you mean about one handed mode
(that dreamy spiker...)

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Arzaac posted:

Incidentally, thinking of weird grey heroes, I absolutely love the twins. My last run I didn't even have them equipped with great items, just worn arms and simplicity, and even there they dish out 4-6 combined shields/damage per turn. You could get some great use out of them with like, Broadsword + Triple Shuriken for example.

I had a recent run with Emerald Mirror and twins. 3 iron helms, 3 eucalyptus + infiniheal. I was invincible.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Tann posted:

My friend made this tricky one

`{v:202i,d:{n:8,p:{h:[Spellblade,Gladiator,Stalwart~Citrine Ring,Disciple,Sparky]},l:{m:[Troll King]},sl:8},c:[1141,12Z3,20Z4,4,2042,4,1333,2022,4,20Z1,4],s:122522,p:["4Lethal Puzzle - defeat all enemies this turn[n2][n2][grey]Submitted by Sunil",10]}`

This seems weird as a puzzle because I was left with 1 mana left over. Would be an easy fix, though.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Arzaac posted:

God, I just had an Unfair run that I almost finished. Got a Wanderer with Prism and Monocle, plus a Sharpshooter. End result was a 4 damage quad-use with Engage and Rainbow, and the Sharpshooter could copycat that for a 7 damage quad-use! Unfortunately I rolled poorly enough on The Hand that I just barely lost; he died, but the turn before he did he summoned 3 Sabers. :negative:

My curses for that run were Doom++++, Monster Charged, and Mortal+. Monster Charged and Mortal+ are super super easy to work around. The Doom is what killed me in the end but I'm still pretty glad I took it, it literally never triggered until the final boss (and frankly, I probably should have been able to kill the final boss anyway, I just got really unlucky).

Wait, why is monster charged level 3 and - 3 max mana level 2?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

CainFortea posted:

I still don't really get what mana bomb does, and every time it's come up i've been in the middle of a really good run and don't want to chance it.

It spends all your mana and deals that much damage to everything.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

eonblue174 posted:

Am I correct that a boosted growth side now keeps it's new extra high value?

No. The boost still only lasts until end of turn.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Tann posted:

Thanks for the detailed report, I'll see if I can replicate it.

Urn was the inspiration actually! Though the synergy is very complicated and I can't guess what will happen before I equip them haha.

My assumption would be that all the rotated sides become the urn side.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
-2 hp + bone math + the curse that spawns bones on death. :getin:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

goferchan posted:

That's 2.0 -- I think my curses were the one that adds the Refractive HP and then maybe the monster HP boost one? Thought it would be easy with my all-blue party lol :cry:

The beta versions are 2.0.0-beta and 2.0.2-beta, and then the release version is 2.0.0/2.0.1

In the release version, quartz don't have immunity to spells.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 19, 2022

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's only if you need a hero to be at half health for reasons.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Miftan posted:

+1 all sides is a level 8 blessing, I'm pretty sure. Got offered it once on Hard and crushed it.

That's level 16. I've gotten a level 30, and that was very good.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
You can also get to level 10 in any other difficulty.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

New Leaf posted:

Playing Blursed and abilities you get from items like Big Shield seem unaffected by Selfless Heroes. Is that by design or unintentional?

That's correct. Blessing and curses are always applied before items.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
you have to get it exact for easy but not for hard+, for some reason.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

The Aguamoose posted:

Oh yes the save spell was another random blessing which became an MVP. Until the very end of the run it meant I could generally keep everyone alive until turn 3 when they'd all get healed and shielded and be in a fairly strong position for the rest of the fight.

Is there a turn counter somewhere for individual fights? I can just about manage to count to 3 turns for the heal and shield all blessing but it would be very helpful for the doom curse and cataclysm blessing.

Yeah, it's under "#"

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Junpei posted:

If you put Rescue on a side that deals damage to an enemy, can the game recognize that you killing the enemy that was about to kill a party member 'rescued' them, and thus, lets you reuse it?

IIRC it checks whether any hero that was dying is no longer dying.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
mana-gain is a keyword. Mana sides don't have that keyword, though.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
All Ys in hero names are vowels iirc. And most monsters. pls fix.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I got a side to 10000-ish before it was patched to cap sides at 999 for stability reasons (not by stacking a bunch of doubling abilities, just with an expontential combo)

Also, smith events and emerald items mean that you can get more than 3 items on a hero, and there's no restriction on level. Plus you can also get abilities from blessings.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
You need to build with the assumption that the opponents won't get a turn, because most of the time, they won't. And, a good blessing helps.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
There's also items that prevent damage/death that you can stick on the bottom hero.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Arzaac posted:

I guess that makes sense, there's no level 50 item in the almanac...

Still, what a letdown.

It's a level negative 50 item. That's why the number is purple.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

redleader posted:

poet? really? what am i missing?

Just 6 great sides.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I really want to combine curses to both kill and level up heroes and get a super high level.

e:
f1: level up
f2: cursed helm
f3: kill a hero + second level 2
f4: kill
f5: kill + L3
f7: kill + L4
f9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19: L5-L10

If you started with a kill outside + level up middle, then you could get to level 11 I think.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 28, 2022

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Dancer posted:

Mildly disappointed that there isn't a secret for winning a battle without dealing damage to the enemy :v: .

You're not thinking big enough.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
They target the lowest health after taking into account the already incoming damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
cantrip duplicate death mandatory sounds fun.