Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Really nice as a quick mobile game, demo is a lot of fun, just purchased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Finally got a win on Normal with 3 blue/2 red. Felt like a busted combo but was a little tight against the mana burn final boss.

Really enjoying the game. Doesn't feel like it has quite the depth or flexibility of StS or Into the Breach, but those are basically perfect games so can't hold it against it. Maybe when I get better I'll notice more combo opportunities etc

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Tann posted:

I can't stop myself, I'm probably supposed to be fixing bugs but I just added the most complex keyword yet to my dev version-

I'd it just the effect, or the effect plus keywords? Either way seems cool!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

At least at low levels, the orange heroes seem to be by far the weakest. Loads of 3 blanks, with not much to make up for it

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Statue looks bad but it does feel good when it takes like 10 targeted damage in a turn and you can just go all out offense.

e: now that I've played Hard some more I'm loving it. The curses are such a great difficulty modifier, and make every run unique. Feels like they have a really wide range though, Sniper on turn 3 is nothing compared to + 1 mana on every spell or the Heroes decay one.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Oct 7, 2022

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Heavy is just a really bad keyword and I try and avoid it when at all possible.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I also found it confusing, took me a minute to work it out. Perhaps adding "there's no undo limit" or something to the tutorial text would help.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Just got my first hard win (on generated though). Generated is a lot of fun, I'd initially ignored it. Feels a bit easier to get really strong combos going than with the normal classes. The algorithm to make up the dice is pretty good, they feel like they have their own theme, not just megarandom sides.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Bl/cursed mode is so much fun. The blessings make it much easier to come up with cool combos. I ended up with the weak+pain on top and bottom plus the +2+pain all sides on a whirl, it was awesome. Didn't feel the need to upgrade him ever!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I love how quickly in each run items go from marginally useful to transformative. the gap between tier 4 and tier 6 items is just huge

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Are the blessing and curse points meant to be on the same scale? I feel like 4 points of curse is much worse than 4 points of blessings

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Zodack posted:

Well, you technically are using the die again but that particular face has changed to an X because of the wand being used. Same with Exert faces, I think, they immediately go into cooldown mode and can't be double swung.

Cleanse doesn't remove exert right? Kind of wish it did

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

serves you right for running with a busted party!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The Baron is by far the easiest of the bosses ime. Almost any gimmick works against him unless you have an awful curse, he just produces so much mama for you. Vulnerable is a particularly easy one.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Pain of Mind posted:

I know they need to be unlocked somehow, it is like a Mimic that drops a crap item. Also, what does the Bowl item do? It says revert changes to all sides, so I would assume your dice would go back to how how they are on the character screen (cancelling growth, decay, petrified etc.)? I used it before and I did not think it was working, but maybe my item order was wonky or I misinterpreted what it is supposed to do.

Edit: The mimic is unlocked by accepting 3 challenge fights, just looked it up.

I've never seen a challenge which looks like good value, handy to know there's another reason to take them!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It can also (I assume) undo the curse items, making it a nice pick on (bl/c)ursed runs.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

RoboCicero posted:

Finally beat Loot Mode (on easy)

Was extremely tempted by Egg Basket + Silk Cape but realized after some thinking that I could reshuffle all my items around to get a guaranteed 10 mana on the first turn and nabbed Infinity. Very fun mode, absolutely leaned on Youth (+3 to all tier 1 heros, which was all of them, forever) and monster decay which was critical for making sure summon sides only ever triggered once.

Here is my winning configuration, which looks like a lunatic party set up for anything other than the specific level 20 beatdown:

And the setup I had going into level 19:

Inspired by this I played a bunch of loot mode on easy and wow it's hard. I got to lvl 20 once, most of my runs end around 8-12. It's really easy to find yourself in a position where you're just completely outgunned. Longsword is such a good item for it though, it's a huge upgrade on basically every class.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Any thoughts on this turn? I think I should reroll Mystic to try and get the shield/heal/mana side and save Dabble. Otherwise best I can do is both Quartzes dead and Dabble dead (use mana sides, flare one quartz, rampage the other).

Loot mode with the hero growth blessing.

code:

`{c:[2064,21Z4,2254,4],d:{l:{b:true,m:[Quartz,Basalt,Quartz]},m:[Deep Pockets,Hero growth],n:15,p:{h:[Dabble~D~Simplicity~Three-of-a-Kind~Overflowing Chalice,Hoarder~D~Chocolate Bar~Cauldron~Standard,Defender~D~Big Shield~Mini Crossbow~Spell: Clink,Mystic~Powdered Mana~Sapphire Skull~Sickle,Mage~Emerald Shard~Flawed Diamond~Tiara]}},p:[11],s:44444432,v:201r}`

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

hito posted:

If you have Mage gain mana, Dabble self-shield, Hoarder kill bottom Quartz, Burst the Mystic, then Hoarder swing for 4 into top Quartz, no one dies. It does mean the top Quartz is still alive for next turn, but with so much growth its probably fine to trade all your dudes being alive for missing the second kill turn 1. The nice thing about this line is that Mystic is being used to charge Rite, so you can go ahead and re-roll her like you were thinking and still be 100% guaranteed of this line if she whiffs.

This is roughly what I ended up doing - made it to hexia and felt strong but still got absolutely stomped

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Banjo Bones posted:

What is the point of the Rite keyword? +1 for skipping a hero's whole turn doesn't seem worth it.

It really is just a limitation on the turn ordering (which can be bad) in exchange for an option to use blank/bad roles for +1. My last run I had it on a rampage/growth damage side and it was great for getting that first kill in. You're right that you need other keywords to make it worth it (cleave is a nice one).

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

New Leaf posted:

You guys are WAY better at this than I am.. I played a ton pre-patch and just came back, got my third Hard win of the update but first in quite a while. Been having some poo poo runs but I was proud of this one. Possibly some questionable equipment choices but I can defend them haha.. Valkyrie+Chronos is loving clutch though on these huge damage bosses, I'll hold out for them if possible.

What do I need to do to unlock Loot Mode, that looks fun!

Finish a run with 12+ items. Either pick the "cache" blessing or do all the "good item for multiple bad item" swap offers, shouldn't be too hard.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I did it on easy because the choices you have to make are almost always bad. It's a really hard mode though, I keep wiping even with high value blessings.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Have got up to +3 item quality on my blursed run, feels great. Last cycle I rolled all over the Dragon I felt unbeatable. The +managain on left and middle sides item is awesome.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The number of (well thought through!) features in this game, and the quality of the in game wiki, is something else.

On that note, how do you get the high level blessings?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

They go all the way up to 20 though, what's that, +1 all sides?

e: actually 200!

distortion park fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 27, 2022

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

That's an item, not a blessing.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

There's also Face of Horus.

Perhaps we could get "rear end of Horus, +3 to the rightmost face" to round out the anatomy?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Honestly have no idea what I chose over that, seems busted, must have been sweet though.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Imo it goes from mediocre to great once you have the +2 item quality blessing. High level items get super busted when you can combo them.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

rip

Took the +bones in non-boss fights curse and immediately died to it

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'd love a blursed mode leaderboard.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The Aguamoose posted:

I reached level 171 on blursed which I am very proud of because I don't think I'm that good at the game - I haven't managed to get the achievement for a streak of 2 hard wins yet, for example.

I had the blessings which improve item quality and give you an extra item slot and they are so much fun. I was gutted when I went for a random curse 4 or 5 loops in and got the one which reduces item quality.

After the initial selection I mainly went for random blessings because I didn't find what I was offered very exciting, and ended up with ones which I was initially disappointed by but which turned out to be really good. Turn 3 heal and shield all was a game changer, as was the 3 mana 5 damage spell.

This is definitely one of my favourite games of all time!

Nice! I think that might be a thread record? My best blursed run also had those two item quality blessings, those and Save spell are my favourite blursed ones.

It would be cool if blursed gave you the option sometimes to swap two 4 cost blessings for an 8 cost or something. Maybe it already does but it's very rare?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

number-go-up brain is giddy with sheer delight at this side

(e) final boss was hexia :negative:

I'd swear I get hexia at least 2/3s of the time. It's rare to have a squad that would prefer it over dragon. Basically only if you have that "no damage on your turn" effect

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Finally beat easy loot, with this absolutely busted set of curses/blessings. "Complex easy" is definitely easier than normal easy at least for loot, your heroes suck anyway so making them worse isn't a big loss. Any time my heroes started dying I'd get 4 mana a pop to power bolt at 3 mana.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

I just pulled off a sub-35 turn win thanks to a "get mana when heroes die" blessing, a "third spell is free" blessing, and liberal use of Pain/Death abilities and items. Every fight was just a violent tragicomedy of mutually assured destruction, especially once I picked up the mana bomb lmao

Had a similar set up to this and worked great until the final boss, which turned out to be hexia :( Died on turn 37 or something

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Had the bright idea of trying custom party to get the sub 40 win, and crushed it pretty handily at 32 turns. Even got dragon and an incredible sourcerer setup

...but discovered that those unlocks require it to be done in classic mode

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Wtf I didn't know about the hand

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

That one got me too.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

just picked the "hero heavy" curse thinking it wasn't bad value for 8, immediately regretted it when I tried to use a shield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

and the claw won! posted:

End of the road. Is it a bug that Cruel Burst doesn't work with Burst+ ? I could see it going either way. I assume Burst+ is coded as a separate spell but thematically it feels like you get better at casting the same spell.

Also the Save spell is a top-tier blessing.

I think 195 might be a thread record? Really want a blursed leaderboard. Or group keyword leaderboards...

Finally unlocked the Hand with 2 hard wins. I decided that taking the blessings+more curses is normally bad, and did them with -1 reroll and everything makes a slime, both of which were easily managable. -1 reroll was interesting because it made stuff like lead boots much more attractive