Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

been enjoying this game quite a bit lately, easy to fit a session in when i want. got through normal and hard almost immediately, but definitely took some more effort to get an unfair clear, but i eventually got there (with a starter blessing too, which I think is actually somewhat hard to be a correct choice. was pretty down to the wire though, i was pretty much singularly reliant on hitting a 10 pip flute cantrip -> steel side combo)
i'll probably settle in for doing unfair streaking at some point, but i figure i'll at least try and get a brutal clear. a little reading has pretty much confirmed my suspicion that 5 blue is basically the only real way to go for i. I know brutal is a bit of a, like, not joke difficulty but definitely a novelty, but it's still a bit frustrating how starting a fresh seed on it can be. plenty of seeds are basically a slim miserable drag to even get to floor 4, and it's a kind of bad prospect to have to reach floor 10 on a different just to really get another shot (only for the chance of spawning a thorn on floor 1, blocking the dumb 5 blue strat entirely or forcing a dummy run just to kill the thorn). I think part of the compulsion is there's an unlock barred behind the brutal clear, and while I know there's an unlock all button it feels kind of bad to click when I have so many other unlocks too. But so does waiting to get through those in a more honest fashion just to feel like I can attempt it again.

I'm not going to claim to be an authority on balance or whatever, but there can definitely be some pain points with unfair as well. I wouldn't really expect every curse to be properly budgeted, even that seems kind of impossible to accomplish. I think the limitedness of the curse point buy at the beginning really belies how synergistic some curses can be, especially with how limited the selection can be. And returning to an earlier point the blessings can feel like a detriment to appear in the panel because it's not just that you have to pick extra curse points to balance them out, but they seemingly take a slot too, limiting your choices further (and ofc, whatever value you're adding is going to be the 'worst' end of curses you pick too, because you wouldn't pick them if you only had to reach 10).

I think I'd almost appreciate if the starting point buy was a decently larger selection but lacked the choice to reroll them, and maybe blessings would have their own slot or something. I'm not sure how much easier it would make it, and I do think it'd end up being a nerf overall (with the caveat that some seeds are just going to have lower floors), but I think it would help at least feel more in control.

really do enjoy the game though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Pretty sure they’re universal, and I think there’s only a small handful of clears on classic brutal in the first place

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Tried out 3.0 last night for the first time since the update. Does classic no longer default you to one orange/yellow/gray/red/blue hero anymore? Or did I have some setting toggled I forgot about

CainFortea posted:

Poster complaining about controller support is probably gonna be mad it's not on dreamcast either.

I remember when I got my steam deck I setup slice & dice on it cause it seemed like it would be cool, only to realize I couldn’t think of a good controller setup for it. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the end goal.
However phrasing it like “3.0 and no controller support yet?” Is very lol

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Ah probably just some save data xfer stuff on my first run then, especially considering beating the first fight triggered like 90 cheevo pop ups lol

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Hammer Bro. posted:

I play Magic on Steam Deck from time to time and having left joystick as fine-grained mouse, right joystick as faster-motion mouse, triggers as clicks, and a few face buttons as maybe special actions tends to work pretty good for mouse-based games.

Might try something like this
Nice thing is that now that it’s on steam (vs when I was doing it), I’m sure some people will publish their own concocted control schemes that I can steal/test out too

RME
Feb 20, 2012

vogonity posted:

I've done a few Classic Brutal runs and was hoping to beat it before moving on to other modes, but the furthest I've gotten is like 14/20.

I know the game warns me that it's not intended to be possible, but how possible is it?

I enjoy a challenge, but wonder if I'm just being stubborn.

I never managed to beat (Classic) Brutal but there are people on the leaderboard for it. Maybe they save scummed idk. But people definitely beat it. Heaven used to be locked behind it lol

Lakbay posted:

Are blue heroes still the best bet for the mono-color hard/unfair runs achievements? I remember in 2.0 the game kept generating thorns on fight 1 or 2 and I had no way to deal with them

4 housecat + green is pretty fun, and usually can find something that can solo the run between a tactic or genned sides (although generation seems to really favor making a small amount of really highly pipped sides now)

RME
Feb 20, 2012

ah. yes. a blessing to get a meddler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Smiling Knight posted:

Meddler rules. His mana generation is on par with a tier 2. All you have to do is accept that he could just to decide to add 3 skeletons a turn (or have the discipline to stop rolling after the first bones, but c’mon, it’s only a 1/3 chance, and if you roll the big mana you’ll turn it around, it’s practically certain…).

i think meddler compounds too hard with a lot of curses to then consider adding 7 extra points of curses onto a run, and dilute the chance of upgrading out of him