Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

Funny then, that such darkness gives me hope

_jink posted:

good rear end video game, played it nonstop for a couple weeks & excited to jump back in when there's new stuff!!

only critique is that the current difficulty settings feel a little awkward; hard is relatively trivial once you figure out the pitfalls (on a 9 game winstreak currently, and see 30+ streaks on the leaderboards), while unfair is just brutal. cursed mode is the sweet spot, but typically requires a full run of ramp-up time before it gets tricky, which is a little too much raw time investment for something i wanna do on my phone. not sure if you can extract any useful data from feedback like this, since difficulty is so wildly subjective, but figured i'd toss it out there.

I wish the Unfair curse choices were a little more balanced. The first three options are much much easier than the last three. The -1 die roll is also an unfun option, in my opinion, because sometimes it just ends a run and there was literally nothing you can do. If you get a bad roll during the first turn of a fight, especially past level 12 or so, you are just screwed. Having only one reroll jacks up the chance of that happening to an aggravating level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

Canuckistan posted:

I can't recall the details, but I had growth and growth +2 items on three spaces on a blue die that had cantrips for mana, mana, reroll. This ended up as a perpetual reroll/mana generator but after a few iterations the die got PAIN on at least one side and it killed my guy when I got +8 rolls. These numbers aren't exact, but close enough.

So, is there a mechanism which stops perpetual roles, or was there one side with PAIN all the time and I didn't notice until it killed me?

There are a couple enemies which have an attack that adds pain to all sides of a die for one round. Wisps definitely do this, and maybe Spawn, Hexia, and some other enemies too.

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

How many achievements are there, including secret achievements? My stats say 49/49 achievements, but I don't know if there is a secret achievement I'm missing that would bring it up to 50/50.

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

Farquar posted:

I don't know who this person is, but I disagree with almost all of their choices.

I'm barely in the top 20 on the curse mode leaderboard, but I'd disagree with a number of those choices too. I've had a run go past level 100 where 3 of my first 5 curses were in his "try to avoid" and "avoid at all costs" categories. I do agree with many of his curse rankings, but there are definitely some I'd place elsewhere.

IMO: Max stored mana reduction is not that bad. Shield 1 to enemies on the first turn is not that bad. Roll 3 dice max is not that bad. Most damaged enemy heals is not that bad. First spell costs extra is worse than he says. Enemies get plus 1 on turn X is worse than he says.

Now, he has made it 2 loops farther than I have, so he probably does have some insight I lack, but you can still make it past level 100 with some of his least favorite curses.

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

My Left Blank victory was done with 4 blue, 1 red, along with tough monsters and start damaged. I think 4 blue and 1 red might be generally the strongest team. Blue casters give incredible flexibility, and having 1 red for a source of healing and cleansing is important.

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

What determines which items have precedence over others? For example, let's look at items that replace the top and bottom sides. If you have both Worn Arms (Replace top and bottom sides with 2 shield and 2 damage) and Longbow (Replace top and bottom sides with 2 ranged damage) on the same character, the item in the second slot will overrule the item in the first slot. But if you have Worn Arms and
Lead Weights (Replace top and bottom sides with blanks), Worn Arms will always overrule Lead Weights, no matter which slot it's in. On the other hand, Lead Weights always overrules Reflective Gauntlets (Copy middle side onto top and bottom) . Reflective Gauntlets does have different wording than the other items, but the effect seems like it should work the same way.

Basically, I just picked Reflective Gauntlets thinking it would go great with Lead Weights, but then discovered it's useless, so I'm salty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

teethgrinder posted:

It's basically this, and it hasn't been updated in ages ... a long awaited patch coming.

The catch is some items still have some keywords like "original value" so the item might not stack. It is logically consistent anyway.

Well, not entirely consistent, like the Lead Weights in my example above, but I guess that's a curse item, so maybe those work differently. And although that's inconsistent, it always works in the players favor, so I guess it's a good thing that they are inconsistent..

The Reflective Gauntlets have different wording in their description, though, and it's not clear that they should work different than other items. It would be nice if their wording and behavior was made consistent with the other items.