Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

The new "The Inevitable" boss seems rather overtuned, the only ideas I have for how that thing is ever killable is titan's bane potion or it being one of those runs where you stack an absurd amount of poison onto something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

There's probably different sets of party colours that'd match up better against it, but my party had no aoe of note so the wisps weren't really clearable, and it just constantly spammed the double hit weaken attack, and the era means that pretty quickly its damage winds up impossible to tank through or cleanse.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Generated heroes seem to trend towards having 1 really overstatted dice and way too much hp, so you wind up with an inconsistent piece of garbage that dies last while never rolling its one usable dice face. This doesn't seem to apply as much to blue heroes as much, though.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Interestingly, you can sometimes get generated items from quality 10 items that are 12-13 items with a cursed item glued to it, which is neat.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Eccentric is really good if you have any sort of items to fill in the gaps, which you often will because there's a lot of items that give good left/middle side dice that you won't want to use on anyone else, and a functional if not stellar option otherwise.
I'm unsure if I hate Lazy or Scoundrel more, for T1 heroes. Lazy at least has good numbers on his two dice, and you're usually not super reliant on the yellow hero early to deal damage.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

The two scoundrel sides are strong for a T1, same with lazy, but there's way too many turns where I use all of the rolls and they've simply gone from blank face to blank face every time. I really don't like characters that only have one or two good dice, and the rest are consolation prizes or just straight up blank. It's a bit less of an issue with characters later in the run with how often you can pick up some useful face replacement items but early on it can just kill you dead to have one of your characters simply not do anything for two turns in a row. Also the Bramble exists.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Far as I can tell so far, you need X amount of pips per thing mentioned, so Parry which wants 3x damage requires you to use one damaging face with 3+ pips, or multiple smaller damage faces that could add up to 3, and it takes them from top to bottom. Faces can double dip for stuff like Prince's Unite.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Some of the proc gen spells when you start overlevelling with housecats can get truly absurd, poo poo like "1 mana 4 damage" or "5 mana 11 damage cleave". Blues seem like the most consistently useful of the proc gen heroes, because even if you get the usual "one good face with a bunch of garbage" you have other ways to get mana to abuse their typically undercosted spells.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Housecat is quite possibly the best T1 in the game, shame about most of the T2/T3 greens when you don't roll housecat.

I'm mostly just playing Hard atm, having not instantly slammed the unlock all button this time around but having gotten used to most of the new stuff I'll probably unlock the rest and go back up to unfair, the rebalanced curses/blessings are a lot more interesting/more reasonably costed overall now.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 22, 2024

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Einander posted:

Wait, Bard traded the Charged Shield side for a Cantrip Attack? What in the world happened there? It had all the obvious synergies and it also made Copycat much stronger; I only ever really bothered taking a Ninja if I had a Bard or a character with Steel. Bard is way less valuable and way less interesting now and that really sucks. :(

I think the charged side got downgraded to balance out the "Else" tactic Bard brings with them now.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I could've sworn I'd used single use with stasis before and had the thing not break, maybe it got patched?

Beat nightmare once to say I did, I'm pretty sure something like this is the only real way to ever win because of the death sigils.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

You can unlock all whenever you want, as long as you generally understand all the game mechanics and hero archetypes you should be fine with whatever new poo poo pops up.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

It's probably for the best that all the weird gimmicky grays got moved to the gimmicky character category, but it mostly feels like I'm throwing if I pick a party setup that has greens when I'm playing unfair runs.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Rip to my blursed run, slain on 288 by a slime queen with double damage chomps that it kept rolling on a party that had poor damage. Eventually you just die to getting forced to take heavy hitter curses, that curse at any level is drastically undercosted.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Choosing your party isn't really in the spirit of the core game, it fits perfectly fine as an optional "see what would happen if you had 4 cats and X" as it's implemented now.
I mostly just play classic when I'm doing unfair because most of the other colour compositions just seem too inconsistent so far.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Thankfully heaven exists, and you can get a 20 point blessing that is +10 to item rarity which is exactly as busted as you'd expect.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Fair. I think there's a full custom mode somewhere but never touched it.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Fate is a pretty middle of the road T3 I'd say, has some items or team comps that can make her quite good but has no source of cleanse at all which is a pretty big downside. Definitely not as bad as some of the truly worthless characters like ghast.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Sorc/Wizard really need item support, or picked up just before the hand imo. Honestly outside of warlock and that one blue who has the 3 damage to top/bottom they all feel really niche/situational, there's a lot of runs where I've wound up just sticking to Glacia instead of going to T3 because I got a set all/mana sides to 2 and was offered ghast/ace or something as my only blue options.
I think yellow and reds are the most balanced set of T3s, with pretty much all of the heroes being reasonably selectable without huge support most of the time, discounting wraith and veteran probably.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 27, 2024

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Prophet - Vitality and soothe spam can solve a lot of the floor 20 fights on its own, can sometimes suffer against Hexia if no one else in your party has cleanse though
Doctor - Has a cleanse, regen is good. Not the strongest red but is generally workable and there's a bunch of items that pair well with their sides.
Witch - Has cleanse, weaken is almost always useful, best against the hand I think.
Shaman - Ritual hard counters the poison spam a lot of the end bosses like to do, vitality is really good against some of the bosses.
Surgeon - Not amazing but it works well with warlock/barbarian, and worst case operate can sort of function as a cleanse.
Fate - Solid amount of item synergy, strand can be really good or worthless depending on boss/curses.
Forsaken - I'm not sure if bind is better or worse than it used to be when it reduced max hp but didn't have deplete, pretty good sides overall though. No cleanse and the revive is tied to a single die side, iffy.
Wraith - Doesn't really do anything you want a red to do, and the spell is Ghast tier garbage.
Most of these are good or at least usable against most of the most dangerous end bosses/fights, with some being a little more niche, or is Wraith.

Warlock - Blaze is an extremely powerful spell and solves a lot of problems in the final fights, needs help to keep going but most reds don't have much else to do than feed him hp/extra mana to actually cast blaze.
Weaver - Not amazing but at least he's somewhat consistent and dodge is nice to have as an option. Significantly worse if you have a -max mana curse.
Wizard - God tier or garbage entirely based on your items/if you're fighting the hand.
Sorc - Same as wizard.
Chronos - Needs significant help with mana generation to do anything, the cleave 1 weaken is mostly just kind of bad against most of the late fights unless your party is generating insane amounts of mana. Upside is that dodge and target repeat are good dice faces.
Artificer - He's got 6 single use faces, 3 of them are mediocre to bad, 1 of them is equivalent to good hero Venom's 2 poison but is single use, and the spell mostly sucks against the late fights/bosses.
Ace - Why do you exist? Your spell being deplete is awful and you barely generate mana.
Ghast - It's Ghast, probably the single worst T3 hero
Three of these are just mediocre to Ghast, two of the remaining options need +pip items or to fight the hand, one of them becomes drastically less consistent if you can't afford to bank a bit of mana or have -max mana curse, and the last one is actually good but still needs babying most of the time.

There's lots of exceptions of course, items/particularly good class synergies etc exist so none of this is immutable other than Ghast.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

If nothing else it's interesting to see how people value things differently, even if I disagree with it.
I highly value consistency/the ability to stall out late game fights and sustain through them because many times you won't have a comp that can burn down all the big threats right away. Prophet for example has multiples of their useful sides, and with enough stalling you can eventually get to the point where you simply can no longer die which is a valid win con on its own. Surgeon is just kind of a barbarian/warlock enabler but having revive on the spell, deplete or not, means you have a much more consistent way to drag a bad fight back on track while the characters with single side revives can often just not roll that when you need it and then snowballs into a loss.
Ace might be better than I rate him, but I just don't like deplete because I expect the vast majority of runs to have the 4th/5th boss be dragged out slogs since quite often for curses I'll prioritize stuff that makes enemies harder to kill rather than stuff that makes things more lethal.
The only things I don't think I could ever be convinced on is Clumsy or Ghast being good.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 27, 2024

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I prefer to avoid rocket tag because it's much easier to average out to rolling what you need when fights take longer, the hand having an unweakenable "kill top hero" attack has definitely made me reconsider going too hard on getting stall comps though.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Most of the big point curses seem like they're just auto losses, though sometimes you get weird rear end runs like this, the "pick a bunch of 1 point curses" curses feel very overcosted, which is the only set of curses I can think of that I think that for.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Well that's an interesting niche interaction/bug? If you have the final tier of slippery dice and a sticky dice side, it won't let the sticky dice lock but if you press the done rolling button the sticky dice won't come back out if you change your mind and go back to rerolls.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Caws and hydras, two of the biggest run enders other than the final boss.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I feel like patient is pretty bad, partly because the items that give them don't give it to enough spots, and party because it's the opposite issue of exert/single use where you get the value later but you always want as much value immediately as you can get to get fights down to a manageable incoming damage amount.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

New wanderer is definitely one of the best T3s in the game, high consistency and every side is good.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Statue really just sucks without items, like twins. Enemies fleeing even w/ friendship bracelet tends to happen when the fight is functionally over already, which is hard when you have statue doing nothing but eat damage.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I wish I saw tweaks like that more often, and not boring pure downside ones like "players and monsters -1 to all pips".

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

If you only have one item in the unequipped section, every hero gets the effects. Very straightforward but it gets awkward if you start getting lovely items you don't actually want/too many cursed items.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Myco's actually good unlike most of the T2 blues, please do not move him.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Initial caveat of "Myco's not good when you have a bunch of fight extending curses" due to the obvious. Mostly just that spore is really good with a lot of T2 yellows/oranges, and the revive can save runs occasionally. It's also just more consistent than your example of evoker, no blank sides though some of them are a little poo poo, and the spell's always usable.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Only downside to the dispel amulet is it will also remove your castable spells if you use it on an ally, which is a funny interaction I've never had come up in past with the dispel potion.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

A tossup between The Hand and The Inevitable, I think. Dragon's beatable with some cleanse and dice that do things, same for Hexia but with burst being really lovely. The Hand really needs you to have a team that is "unfair" and can abuse the +1 all dice faces or you'll get overrode really quickly, while Inevitable needs a team that can break through multiple ghost pips at once or at least really good aoe to not get bogged down by wisp skeletons.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

We do need a violet hero for that one T0 item.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

A lot of curses take meddler from "bad but averages out usually" to "your run is probably over if you don't get to replace them on the first level up"

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I had rainbow chaos wand once. I lost without ever rolling it.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

They seem to have changed how generate heroes generate from before the big patch, they're almost always horribly lopsided towards the left or left/middle faces with the rest being blank or 1 pip worthless sides generally, and it makes them mostly really bad even if the random tactics/spells can be neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Gizmo is the best item in the game and I will hear naught against it, as it rolls poison on my healing/defensive sides and boost/heal on my damage sides.