Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Was initially disappointed that achievements didn't carry over properly, but the tooltip is correct that it's more fun to go through again clean.

New version has so much cool stuff. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Miftan posted:

+1 all sides is a level 8 blessing, I'm pretty sure. Got offered it once on Hard and crushed it.

Yeah Eye of Horus is level 8.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

New Leaf posted:

Blursed is as addictive as you all say. I got to 48 on one particularly good run but haven't been able to repeat that success. This last go I came across a pair of both really undesirable curses and left it to fate and let it choose a random one and got one where all enemies get +1 shield when another enemy dies. Then I came across a Lich. Half of a Lich fight is whittling him down by killing Bones and chipping at him, but now every Bone death puts a shield on everyone that deflects the 1 damage, and he just kept summoning more and more and more.. Only my rogue and fighter had any sort of damage output and it eventually just became an unwinnable boney mess.

At least you (probably) made progress on that kill 500 bones achievement.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Once in a while I find myself wanting to use zero-pip sides in order to Copycat and/or Focus. Probably overcorrecting now trying to avoid Weaken.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

distortion park posted:

This is one of the best sides I've managed to put together
e:drat could have been even stronger - I originally perma-boosted the rescue shield side (which was a better play) but I could have boosted the boost dice to double dip.

Single use? 1/10.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

After losing Unfair generates on and off for a few weeks, I decided to hop on the all-blue brutal bandwagon and one-shot it. Heaven mode was fun, but missing that Blursed continuity.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

silvergoose posted:

I just beat heaven in under 30, and got a secret achievement for it. I hope there isn't a sub 25...

Favour of horus plus cruel burst was very funny.

There's one for 25. I hope there isn't a 20...

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

A bunch of skills that you might be missing:
- Which dice should I keep vs reroll?
- What order should I use my dice in?
- When should I be using spells? Should I be floating 3 mana since my Burst isn't actually killing anything?
- If at least one is forced, which hero should I let die?
- Which items should I pick?
- When should I switch items from hero to hero?
- Should I skip a level up?

Getting "okay" at most of those should be sufficient to beat Normal.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

twoski posted:

I am incredibly annoyed that this item doesn't seem to work properly with the one character that it feels like it's designed for.

You can see here that pain and self heal don't seem to be applied properly. In theory, pain should be applied first and then self heal after it based on the ordering of the keywords, which in effect is the same as canceling each-other out.

Instead the self-heal just does nothing. I assume this is a bug since it makes no sense to me. I didn't check but i assume it's applying the heal before the self-harm which seems silly and not at all what you'd expect.

Are you sure the Jinx isn't doing anything weird? I am (kinda sorta) definitely sure I've had pain/self-heal before and it worked as expected (the "good" way).

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Veryslightlymad posted:

Play on easy, take a blessing that gives you mana.

The secret hardest achievement is "lose to alpha 10 times". I have lost to alphas once in almost 300 tries.

I was playing raid mode today, which I rarely touch. I have learned that Warlock/Artificer/Leader goes kinda crazy. Caught a valk, too, so the double Hexia final still got rolled by my immortal artificer.

Losing to Alpha is a lot easier when you play on the tougher difficulties.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Kaliedoscope posted:

Ok, so I only just realized that there was actually a thread for this game here, and I only just got started with setting this up. Is there any particular things that I should be doing as a compete beginner?

Have fun! Blue is overpowered. Lose a few games. Step up in difficulty as you win.

Floating mana is good. Doing damage is generally better than preventing damage.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Now do it non-Heaven.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Game is (still) good. Is there an indicator on the new orientation of which hero is getting which upgrade? I've flipped back just for that.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Einwand posted:

The new "The Inevitable" boss seems rather overtuned, the only ideas I have for how that thing is ever killable is titan's bane potion or it being one of those runs where you stack an absurd amount of poison onto something.

I got this one on a generated run and had the "do 13 damage" spell as well as some silly shielding.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

WarpedLichen posted:

So green heroes are garbage on purpose right? They seem so so bad so far.

Statue can be phenomenal even with mediocre items, it's now a L2 green instead of...grey? before.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Urn + Gizmo did not work like I had hoped.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Banjo Bones posted:

Is there a wiki anywhere that explains what all the modifiers do? Some of them cryptic and hard to understand, or how they would be useful.

I looked myself but the Fandom wiki I found was quite outdated.

There used to be an in-game guide or something that helped with this.

Best modifier is (probably) "hyperboned.'

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

How do “tactics” (the grey text like “(1x any pip)”) work? It’s impossible to search for, I just get beginner guides.

These are new in v3. It seems like they're spending poo poo top-down from currently-unused sides.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

If Eccentric isn't going to be good with your build, you generally try and pick not-Eccentric (if possible).

I am liking the new "pick a random level-up" option, which seems maybe sometimes better than skipping.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Yeah Patient is best in scenarios where you've got a lot of blanks and one really good side. That's not a great scenario to be in broadly of course.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Do people generally choose their parties, or go with the random set that matches the colour pattern you choose? I’m curious.

In the last version, I had moved to choose-your-own Blursed as endgame after completing most of the achievements.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Quackles posted:

If I buy the game, is it a good or terrible idea to reset my progress so I get the full progression experience?

Probably neither/doesn't matter if this is your first go-around with the game.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Jerkface posted:

Is there any streamers/youtubers who play this that are not insanely cringe? I am mostly looking for people who would play classic unfair+ runs and talk through their decision making.

Maybe LethalFrag and uhh...either ExtraTricky or DarkTwinge?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

GetDunked posted:

What are some good strategies for pure-color runs? I did Hard with pure blue and multiple weavers doubling each other's mana, but Unfair with the same strategy has been kicking my butt.

I did 4 cats and spade as someone else suggested. Eventually I got a 20-something health, one good side, "Blank sides do 8 damage engage" power and I just skipped all the future level-ups.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

So I now understand why Wendigo says "non-magic." And I even thought about items beforehand, too. RIP.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Trying to get two Dabbler picks for the achievement.

Doing 5-orange Heaven runs, picked the "you get like a dozen more fuckin' choices for level ups" blessing. No Dabbler. Checked the hero log, says "Banned (Mana)." Is Dabbler just never going to be an option if I don't start with at least one red/blue hero, even if I start with Dabbles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Arzaac posted:

I found a use for another level 0 item!

This cantrip self damage can't activate if I don't have the mana to pay for it. :v:

I had the cigarette thing where "single use become double-use" which did NOT work as I was hoping/expected. But then I also had the "blanks are 2 mana" spell and all was well for a bit.