Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
This is a really incredible game and I can't recommend it enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Hero guide by Thunder

Other misc tips:

-Cleanse is your friend due to all the bad status effects out there. It's not a bad idea to hold out for Monk or Cleric as your Tier 2 gray, and a Red with cleanse sides.
-Sometimes it's better to keep a mediocre side instead of rerolling and potentially getting a blank, or something unhelpful. Assess the situation before locking in your rolls. Can you kill an enemy or two and also keep everyone alive?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Poopy Palpy posted:

And when we say "a flush of hero types on unfair or harder" we mean "don't even bother", right?

Try it with full blue! Most of them are excellent and synergize beautifully.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

CainFortea posted:

That is what I was getting at. If the crossed out curse counts for my total curses for that achievement.

It does

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Cursed is the most fun mode imo, once you learn the ropes. Unfair is 'doable' but it doesn't have quite that same thrill.

I also like the brokenness/weird synergies of Custom Party, come to think of it.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

DrHammond posted:

I haven't spent nearly enough time with this game yet, but as far as I can tell slime queen is an impassable wall. I just can't manage the multi-hit attacks and the number of minions without losing the battle of attrition.

Slime queen is hard, but you can give yourself a chance by keeping the number of slimes you're fighting to a minimum. Keep killing the little ones whenever you can. Note that they don't attack on the turn they're spawned. Be patient, keep everyone alive and be smart about using attacks that spawn more slimes.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

My main complaint with this game is it makes most other phone games out there seem like trash in comparison?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

teethgrinder posted:

I still haven't beaten Unfair once. The highest I can make is level 12.

Been mostly focused on Tough/Damaged/Fewer Rolls, but been experimenting with options other than Tough because I just can't seem to ever do enough damage for the boosted boss at 12.

Sometimes I just roll badly on earlier ones and am totally poo poo out of luck.

But ugh, Expensive Spells, Start Poisoned and Left Blank seem even more punishing.

Unfair is just really hard. Things will be going fine and all of a sudden you're dead. I have beaten it maybe one time and I have pretty much given up on trying to get a streak, I think it's the only thing I haven't unlocked at this point.

Cursed has a relatively fun and engaging difficulty curve but the capstone achievement for that is very hard, it took me a long time to get that far.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Getting a high hard streak seems like a cool project, maybe I can give that a shot.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Five grays is best done on Easy

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I can't blame you, it's the worst class comp

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Jedit posted:

So, I am locked on challenges. I have:

Win Standard Normal in 45m or less: conceivably doable, but I almost never play a full game in one session and as is wins take me somewhere over 50 minutes.
Win with 13 Curses: I don't play Cursed mode and the "reward" is another loving curse so why would I even want it.
Win Unfair with all starting curses: yeah, gently caress off.

Do you have fast animations enabled? That night help with the speed challenge.

Cursed mode is really fun imo. The 13 curses challenge really makes you master the mode though.

That unfair challenge is rough mostly because of Left Side Blank. I've only ever manage to win with that once.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Sorcerer is great, especially with +cantrip stuff. I like his spell too.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Anyone have good advice on which Curse Mode curses to take/avoid? In my inexperienced view a lot of them seem like they can be easy or killer depending on your comp. Just from the starter choices, the "Adds a Bones to bosses" isn't too bad if you get an early 4-damage hero; but if you fail that it's brutal. "Heal the most damaged enemy" is tame most of the time, but sometimes you roll a low-damage comp or just get a few bad rolls in a row and it turns the fight into a potentially dangerous slog. Of course, I'm bad enough that I may be over- or underestimating either.

Any notable curses I should be taking or avoiding?

Via the SnDiscord:

https://imgur.com/a/rmqHe5d

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Hard mode curses aren't too bad if you are a grizzled enough slice and dicer. Picking the right heroes/items at the right time, and knowing when/what to reroll can sometimes make the difference. For instance, every turn are you able to do some damage/kill an enemy while also keeping one of your dudes alive? If not you might not have kept the right amount of mitigation on that turn, or rerolled some life saving dice you should have kept.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Can't wait!

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

The only one I haven't done is Unfair Streak. The curse mode final quest and left blank were both friendishly hard though, especially the former.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I had an interesting custom Unfair run where I took all blues, the curse that kills you the third time you use a die on your turn, the blessing that gives you +2 mana on death, and a couple of other irrelevant curses that I don't remember. Every round was a DPS race where I would let someone who was going to die anyway sacrifice himself to the curse, but toward the end my mana generation was through the roof. I beat hexia in one turn but I almost wiped my whole party in the process from mana burn.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

There is that flag item that taunts, right?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

teethgrinder posted:

The Statue is my favourite 2.0 addition.

I used to think the Gambler sucked because he had too many junk sides, now I'm unironically picking statue sometimes.

Hidden benefit to statue is enemies will flee more often because of how high he pushes your party HP.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Pretty good Blursed run. Maybe double the highest floor I got to with Cursed back in 1.0. I wish there was a leaderboard, I'm sure people are getting some pretty crazy numbers. Cursed was my favorite part of the game in 1.0, I think Blursed might be now because you get the interesting blessings right away.

Full list of curses/blessings: https://imgur.com/a/py4poWV

Treasure-Seeker was nice because the extra item slot made it easier for me to offset and play around the cursed items.

dirby posted:

Can the Wizard's inspire spell allow me to use a single-use thing twice? Or not since the single-use thing would become a blank side?

Even if not, being able to add three to all sides of a die was pretty sweet:

They use the wand, now it's an X. You inspire the hero and they can act again, but now they just have an X.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Avasculous posted:

It's a small touch but something I really like about this game is that it does not ask you to confirm stupid stuff, like not using Evade when nothing is attacking or not using a Pain ability that will kill you.

Coming from the Gloomhaven app, which constantly pesters you to confirm mandatory effects and that you really do want to target yourself with the card that explicitly can only target yourself, this is refreshing.

I absolutely bounced off gloomhaven for that reason

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Is there an achievement for not letting anyone flee? No, right? I always let enemies flee but I should just turn on the auto.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Weirdly I can't seem to beat Classic Hard anymore. I have only 9 achievements left to solve, and I am bouncing off Hard Streak of all things. I think sometimes I just get too greedy, have a bad turn on floor 15-20, and then a total party wipe is assured. Just now I had Mimic -Herbalist - Wanderer, I hit the God combo of quad damage + Ornate Hilt + repeat dice + growth dice once, then I spent the rest of the run trying to do it again and then wiped on floor 17 after I came up with X's on my wanderer one time too many.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Inceltown posted:

I've played too much loot and now keep picking 3rd item slot in blursed because you can have hella fun when you have heaps of items. This isn't such a great blessing when you don't have all the items though. Not a bad blessing so much as not the best use of one.

Third item slot is clutch in Blursed because you can take more cursed items and more easily cancel them out with other stuff

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Tann posted:

Blortcut??

Blursed was intended as an easy mode, have you tried cursed hyper much?

Shortcut? No, this is my own original mode, Blortcut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Hammer Bro. posted:

How does one normally unlock / enable Heaven mode?

I feel like I've beaten a lot of things at this point but haven't encountered that one.

I'd prefer not to use the Unlock Everything button.

I think you have to beat Brutal (on any mode)