Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Just got this for my phone, and its great. Question:

So far ive beat the game on easy and normal, am trying to beat it on hard but keep running into the loving sword guy and getting unlucky instakill on turn 2 or 3 which just ruins the entire fight. Last run ended when he instakilled my 20 hp leader turn 2... :argh: I am not seeing a lot of the OP stuff people are talking about, how can I improve at Hard? Do i need to unlock items? Like ive died at the bosses on Hard a few times and the items i am getting through the run felt pretty useless \ not impactful and some of the hero upgrades were pretty dire. Just RNG and need to punch through?

Second question is mechanical: I got the item that adds patient to the middle to rightmost sides and slapped it on 2 different characters over the course of the run. I never once saw patient proc. My understanding is if i dont roll that side and use it on a turn then next turn I get 2x if I use it. Is that right? Or is it you cant use ANY patient keyword sides or else it blocks all patient keywords from proccing next turn. Or is it the character cant use any dice and then next turn patient will proc?

Honestly i thought it was if the dice face itself isnt used (i swear i had a patient left side dice face that was pretty powerful once i rolled it in a fight... but now i cant remember how it procd)

Incredible game ty for any tips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

iirc patient needs you to not use any dice side. i've got no idea how it interacts with dice pips being consumed to cast abilities, but it probably counts as a dice-use

that makes sense given how it worked, and definitely makes me rethink its usefulness

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Dr. Stab posted:

It's hard to say where you're going wrong on not being able to beat hard. There's a lot of kinds of decisions in the game and I can't tell you where your blind spots are. However, most likely, as a newer player, you're not settling for mediocre sides enough during rerolls. As they say, Cs get degrees.

Also, some new players play too defensively. The enemies generally have more attack than you have defense. Plus they have things like petrify and poison and summons that will scale their advantage over time. They are going to kill you, eventually. You can slow that clock down, but the only thing that can put you in the advantage is killing enough of them that your defense now outclasses their attack.

Well whenever I have a powerful synergy I end up running into a boss that instakills my synergistic piece. Is that just bad luck or RNG that I didn't have a guy who can rez? Like I had a leader and I was trying to rely on his formation ability to deal AOE damage + get some defense back on my side but he got headsplit by the hand on turn 2. I didn't have a "massive" damage dealer on that team but I had no problems grinding the previous levels using his ability to keep everyone healthy while dealing damage. The biggest problem I had with that run outside of getting 1 shot (is there a way to prevent this btw? other than defy death or having rez?) was having a bunch of bad items. I had like 4-5 dead items in my inventory and a lot of useless poo poo on my persons in my failed runs.

Of course the moment I bitch on the forums I end up with a winning run, and I can say that the biggest difference between this run and others is actually getting useful items. This last run I ended up winning with the Venom, Berserker (whatever the deathstrike barbarian type guy is), Valkyrie, The upgraded medic that has an AOE 1 regen for 4 mana (forget what its called), and a Wizard. The key imo is I got crazy good items, like I had troll blood early, I got the one that cantrips any 1 pip facings which meant my pre-wizard blue character was constantly procing mana and obviously thats insane on wizard given they have a ton of 1 pip sides. I got an item that sets the entire middle row to 3 damage swords and then the one that buffs those by 1 so I always had a lot of good offense midgame. I ended up using that late game for Venom to make sure I had consistent damage once I got the berserker guy. Pilgrim was insanely strong early and then I got Valkyrie right before I got the Berserker so it was very synergistic. I was either defying death or immediately rezzing him. The boss was the dragon and I got to double tap with the deathstrike using wizard inspire so I managed to end things pretty quick. Most of the pre boss fights were me setting up a lot of group regen to keep alive while dealing damage with my 2 offensive pieces and magic.

Is it worthwhile to just unlock everything now that I've cleared the first 3 difficulties? Not sure I wanna work through achievements and stuff to unlock more items but would rather focus on improving at the game itself.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Is there any streamers/youtubers who play this that are not insanely cringe? I am mostly looking for people who would play classic unfair+ runs and talk through their decision making.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

I finally beat an unfair run - monsters can't die on turn 1 was almost a problem but I landed some pretty decent spells throughout the game including a generated hero spell that was 1 mana shield 2 and was able to generate some bonkers mana across my classes. Ended up beating the hand because I got an item right before the last battle that was a "Damage 10, Heavy, Charged" hammer and I generated 15 mana on turn 2 and bopped him.

Overall I wish Unfair's curse point costs got balanced a little better because there are some low point ones that are absolute run enders when you have to stack them with other curses.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
One thing I don't like about rez is that they come back at full health but then start at 50% HP in the next battle. It makes having a rez character way less good. If you bring someone back and they take damage or get healed up or whatever they shouldn't lose it all! I feel like the rez penalty should only pop if they get rezzed by the game mechanic.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

RoboCicero posted:

It's an anti-cheese method for drawing out a fight that you've won solely to roll a rez side. Think of rez as bringing guys back that are guaranteed to not be targeted and guaranteed to get one turn!

Considering a lot of the game seems to be "figure out some real cheesy poo poo using items and classes" I dunno if it needs that? You give up sides to have rez to begin with which may never even be usable in a fight. Bringing someone back is powerful so if it never changed I wouldn't bitch about it but it always annoys me when it happens lol

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

distortion park posted:

It would be really annoying if optimal play involved drawing out fights to rez your whole party

Feel like that's an edgecase and could be solved by auto fleeing, why even allow not showing mercy if its not intended for precisely those kinds of situations?

Sticking around to rez characters is risk reward, if you dont set it up perfectly you risk the run ending especially if you need to take into account auto fleeing.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Well i am saying you could simply balance it by making auto fleeing the default. If you wanna gently caress around and rez everyone you need to leave the enemies with some strength. I didnt play pre 3.0 so i will take your word on it being a common practice but it's not like every enemy at 1 hp are no longer dangerous. Theres definitely enemies you cant just leave hanging around.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
they seem uniformly garbage imo if they offered items several tiers above the current level that would make them more tantalizing

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Zodack posted:

Note to self, Inflict Death is not the same as InflictInflict Death. Immediately talked my OP nightmare cantrip team by having them all die immediately on the first turn

I had a really funny heaven run where I got copycat on all sides for entire team with 2 rogue classes + some re-rollers so I kept wiping entire boards just through reroll cantrips and stuff. Then I ran in to Wendigo and my entire team teamkilled themselves, very funny!!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

cant cook creole bream posted:

I played about 10 rounds and won some of those. I did not manage to beat hard dificulty yet, but it was close.
To be honest, I'm already getting a bit bored. I keep seing the same items and some of the partymembers feel really bad.
Is there a bit more variation once you unlock more stuff? The early game items are especially boring by now. I did unlock a few things, but so far thise are situational at best. I.e. I could think of some specific synergies which would make it useful, but it's highly unlikely to get those.

just click the unlock all button - theres a bunch of other game modes that may be more interesting for you. Though you could just be bouncing off the general concept.

Kind of agree on the items. I think the game is at its most fun with items at like Tier 6+ and especially when you get into the randomly generated/smushed together items, so I do wish they showed up more often in a normal game run.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

moosferatu posted:

Sharpshooter with rampage on the left face is very good.

I really like Pilgrim and Jester. Most of the level threes that are offered don't seem as good.

yea theres a couple of classes that can form really strong combo or enablement synergies and upgrades just...dont do that

i really like primrose and its really hard to upgrade off a class where every side does something useful \ strong and comes with a class ability and the options to upgrade to are like... a class with no sides or one with only 2 sides or whatever dumb bullshit is packed in green

Pilgrim, Bard, Jester, Druid are all really fun

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Poopy Palpy posted:

Don't disrespect Statue like that.

Every time im offered it i have no items that give sides, gently caress that class :colbert:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

CainFortea posted:

Even if you don't have items that make good use of it right now, it's still really good as a tank. Also remember that the run away mechanic is based on your HP. So having a giant block of HP is still useful in making the enemy run away.

Yea this is true, but the default is 10x health just doesnt seem that useful!! If I have an average party composition of 32 total HP I can make enemies retreat if I'm at full health on everyone at 3 HP. Upgrading a 4 HP pockets to a 20 hp statue moves that number up to 5 HP if it rounds up 4 if it rounds down. A marginal increase considering you're losing an entire die worth of "doing something" to actually GET to that HP value. The friendship bracelet comparatively shifts those parties to 6 HP and 9/10 HP respectively which is obviously much better as it makes each individual HP worth more.

Being a tier 2 hero and for whatever reason greens tend to get offered as upgrades more to me (anecdotally) I always get this guy offered early/mid where I'm not gonna have appropriate items and my other classes can't survive having a 20 HP do nothing guy to try and take advantage of retreat mechanic.

Death to statue.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

CainFortea posted:

There are plenty of other items that aren't "give sides to this person" that you're also ignoring. Things that like, give 1hp for every 2 hp you already have. Now statue has 30hp. Or the white flag, that makes enemies run away at 5x health instead of 10x. Or Scar which gives a bunch of empty HP that you can fill with your red when they get a healing side on the first roll that is normally absolutely useless.

I specifically referenced friendship bracelet in the post! The problem is I dont want to float a dead hero on the off chance I will get offered an item. So many of the items are buffs to positions or swap arounds and those do nothing for a class that has no sides.

I totally get the upside power of it but I have yet to have it show up in a situation where I can make use of it. I generally only play classic so I am probably just missing chances for the wacky synergies to come into play.

edit: I am much more likely to float an item I can't use than a hero, like the 1 pip cantrip item which i always wanna try and get wizard to slap it on and then hope i get some pip buffs too. And if i dont get wizard theres usually at least a couple heroes who still have 1 pip sides so its not fully dead like statue can be

The dream is like getting class hat with statue or mirror mask but ive never had them offered in the same run!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
How does display case work?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Einwand posted:

Myco's actually good unlike most of the T2 blues, please do not move him.

I think an issue I have with classes is that I wish more of the T3 were like focused or stronger versions of T2. There are clear cases where that is true: Hoarder->Collector->Curator gets progressively more powerful sides and in some cases trades some versatility for more power.

However classes like Bard, Myco, Fey, Pilgrim, Armorer don't necessarily have upgrades that can do what they do. Its very annoying! There is a red class that has 1 side with a 1 damage weaken, but why can't I get a red class with some bigger weaken sides? Too OP if we have access to it? Or a grey class with the re-roll cantrip synergy of Bard. Pilgrim's upgrade path seems to be valkyrie but no stun or re-roll. No grey hero with smithing and AOE shields. No blue heroes with growth related combo of physical attack/mana/shield.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Ciaphas posted:

hyperuse growth is completely deranged and i love it

how do i acquire this technology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I beat unfair generated last night with 4 cats and trowel to start and ended up with a generated hero that had a tactic where for 1 blank side i could add 46 damage repel to any character. They also had a 56 damage attack side. Nice